Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,772 times

Advertisements

I am getting transferred to Indianapolis. I have an eleven year old daughter. I currently live in Brigham City, UT. Look to rent / very affordable and would like to be in the burbs / North of Indy. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM

107 posts, read 151,697 times
I currently live In Martinsville, IN. I have friends that live in Carmel and they love it. You can try there or you can look at this link which has apartments in Cities North of Indy. Good luck and I hope you like Indiana!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,293,450 times
You may want to post this in the Indianapolis forum or maybe the moderator can move it for you. You may get more results that way.

The far northside of Indianapolis has a lot of apartments, especially around Castleton as well as the College Park area, though anywhere along 86th Street you will deal with a LOT of traffic. Castleton is worse. Because of both malls and a lot of shopping, there is a lot of traffic all weekend long in Castleton.

If you want north subrubs, Fishers is nice but again it has a lot of traffic, mainly around rush hour and mainly around I-69 and SR 37. I live in Fishers and I love it, but I'd still describe Fishers as the definition of urban sprawl. Carmel is really nice and a more affluent area. You will pay more just for the Carmel address. Downtown Carmel is nice with the Arts & Entertainment District, a lot of restaurants and art galleries. Noblesville is north of Fishers and is a more established town. Fishers and Carmel have really boomed in the past two or three decades. Noblesville has been slowly growing for longer. Noblesville is cheaper and has bit of a typical small Indiana town feel to it. It has a lovely downtown around the courthouse square with antique shops and unique restaurants. The biggest con is being north of Fishers, it takes a lot longer to commute to downtown Indy if that's where you job is. Westfield is north of Carmel. It's a nice area and there's a huge shopping complex right on the border between Westfield and Carmel so you don't have to go all the way in to Indy to do shopping. I'm not sure that Westfield has many apartments though, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about that city.

All the northern suburbs have outstanding schools but size may be an issue. For example, Carmel High School is the biggest in the state as far as student population. But it is still ranked as one of the best as far as academics go. Still, for a city of about 80,000, one high school seems insane. But you really can't go wrong with schools in Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, or Westfield.

Zionsville is on the northwest side of Indy and offers a quaint village feel. It's older and has forced itself to remain small and not allow the big box stores in. Wal-Mart has been fighting with them for years to build a store there. You also won't find a whole lot of apartments in Zionsville. Zionsville has possibly the best access to downtown Indy as you can easily hop on I-65 and take it right into downtown. None of the other north suburbs have a direct limited access highway link to downtown Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis