Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM

63 posts, read 294,972 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Greensburg (about 30 mins from Columbus) and it was notorious for its prejudices. I'm white and when I went to college and minorities found out where I was from, they treated me different. I was not raised to be prejudiced. Most of the factories in town are from Japan so you do have some Asian population but not much. Columbus is an ok town (sorry domergurl). I'd pick Greenwood over Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeme View Post
I grew up in Greensburg (about 30 mins from Columbus) and it was notorious for its prejudices. I'm white and when I went to college and minorities found out where I was from, they treated me different. I was not raised to be prejudiced. Most of the factories in town are from Japan so you do have some Asian population but not much. Columbus is an ok town (sorry domergurl). I'd pick Greenwood over Columbus.
No need to apoligize. We looked at Greenwood, but wanted to get away from suburban doo and HOA's. Plus, a 5 minute commute to work vs. a 30 minute commute ... well, that was an easy call

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM

46 posts, read 121,174 times
I know your job is taking you to that area of Indiana. But I wanted to add that Lafayette/W Lafayette has a large asian population. The schools in W. Lafayette are about 20% Asian from my research of the area.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 AM

51 posts, read 153,361 times
Interesting discussion on diversity, I am white and my family and I will be moving back to the U.S. after living in Asia for six years, we are looking at Cincy but other mid-western cities are possible as well. Even though we are white we are also looking for diversity, as the original poster stated in his/her question and the reason why is that we want to be around people that don't uniformly come from the same background. We find an incredible value in having our children raised in an area where everyone doesn't look like them and or have the same religion, background etc.

This is not to say that places that are not diverse are racist or backward, they just lack something we value. So I understand the original posters question and I wonder why there was some hostility to it?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 PM

64 posts, read 273,322 times
I will tell you now as an Asian immigrant from Japan, I grew up in Greenwood IN from the time I was 12.
I was for the most part warmly welcomed with very little prejudice, especially for the lack of English that I spoke at the time.
I made friends quickly the teachers were very helpful and supportive and they even had a small Asian students club that I joined even though I didn't want to.

I lived in Indianapolis til I was 19 and left for college and to live in Chicago where I absolutely LOVE and am trying to move back to now.

My advice is to STAY AWAY from Martinsville, if you must be further south go to Bloomington.
neither have a huge Asian population but of your geographical choices I would say these more so then any others.
If you can stand the drive stay in the Greenwood area, you will not be disappointed.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM

10 posts, read 21,763 times
I am a south asian that moved from nj to indianapolis and I found tons of south asians as well as east asians, I came originally to work at Eli Lilly and I met people from many places all over the world. I left only because I missed the east coast.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,330 times
I am part Chinese, part Hawaiian, and part Caucasian. Our family moved to the Geist area from Hawaii about four years ago, and while there are not many asian or Polynesian families around, we're here! Our kids go to Lawrence Township schools, and our neighborhood and school system are rather diverse - and not just black, white, and latino.

I would strongly encourage you to avoid the small towns and stick to the bigger suburbs around Indianapolis, or perhaps Bloomington (it's a college town, and more diverse than other towns in Southern Indiana, which aren't diverse at all) - and definitely seek out other cultural groups to socialize with - it'll help ease the culture shock (and you're in for one!). We like to get together with other asian/pacific islanders at a hula studio in downtown Indy every Saturday - it's like a family reunion every week!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 58,559 times
Well, it depends on what culture you are in. Indiana is generally not racial, but it don't have cultural diversity (which that's actually the way I prefer). If you are religious (christian), and blended into the mainstream American culture then you'll get along with the people in here just fine, unless you go to the East side of Indianapolis where the crimes are. Usually, if you are not black, you don't wanna go to the East side. People there are racial and you may get mugged. But if you are the kind of Asians who cluster together and stick to the Asian culture, and believe in religions like Buddhism, then people here may not like you. They won't really do anything about it but you can tell that you are welcome if you are that type. Indiana is very conservative and backwards in culture. Take myself for example, I'm Asian too but I was adopted and I grew up around white people. And I can't get along with the kind of Asians who cluster together under their little subculture. So I think pretty much I can tell you what the situation gonna be if you move here. And good luck! Hope you can get along with you new neighbors!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 PM

23 posts, read 71,806 times
I wouldn't suggest anywhere in Indiana that's south of Greenwood. Everything of southern indiana I have experienced is racist, little varying degree of hick hell holes.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times
In my opinion there are several cities and areas in Indiana with a diverse population including Asians. The far north side of Indy has quite a few including a wonderful Asian food market in Castleton just to the south of Costco. Carmel also has a lot of Asians including doctors and health care workers. I believe there is a Chinese church on 116th Street near Keystone and several other Asian churches in Carmel.

West Lafayette also has a strong and vibrant Asian population mainly due to Purdue University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis