Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:13 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristelrobin View Post
Fallingwater, are you living in an Indianapolis suburb or somewhere else? My husband and I are strongly considering a move to the Indianapolis area (Fishers/Noblesville area is the top choice at the moment, with the Avon/Plainfield area in 2nd place), and I have to admit that your post scares me! I've read so many positive things about the area and we are pretty excited about the prospect of moving there (affordable homes AND great schools??!!), but we are democrats from Orange County, CA, and I hate to think that people are so close-minded that they can't be friends with those who don't share all of their beliefs. Certainly we have Republican friends, Libertarian friends, and we all manage to get along, KWIM?
My wife is democrat and has had no problem making friends, some very much Republican too, though I don't know that any live in Carmel. Most live in the Fishers/Noblesville/Westfield area. Also, almost all of them moved here from elsewhere, including my wife. Not sure if any of that makes a difference or not but many people in Carmel didn't grow up there either. I've also found no problems after I met my wife fitting in with her friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
My wife is democrat and has had no problem making friends, some very much Republican too, though I don't know that any live in Carmel. Most live in the Fishers/Noblesville/Westfield area. Also, almost all of them moved here from elsewhere, including my wife. Not sure if any of that makes a difference or not but many people in Carmel didn't grow up there either. I've also found no problems after I met my wife fitting in with her friends.
Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear a different experience.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,535 times
kristelrobin - just a couple notes. We have lived here for 20 years and are native midwesterners and do find the city to be somewhat provincial at times, even already being from the midwest. Not sure what it will feel like for someone from one of the coasts - but people can be cliquish. That being said, we love living here and have made our way. If you are progressive you will probably be much happier actually living in Indianapolis - however I'm not sure what your personal situation is with work location, kids, etc. We have always actually lived in Indianapolis (3 different houses now) and find many more kindred souls (we are very liberal) among other people that live in the city vs. those that live in the suburbs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristelrobin View Post
My husband and I are strongly considering a move to the Indianapolis area (Fishers/Noblesville area is the top choice at the moment, with the Avon/Plainfield area in 2nd place), ... I've read so many positive things about the area and we are pretty excited about the prospect of moving there (affordable homes AND great schools??!!), but we are democrats from Orange County, CA, and I hate to think that people are so close-minded that they can't be friends with those who don't share all of their beliefs. Certainly we have Republican friends, Libertarian friends, and we all manage to get along, KWIM?
People here claim to be this or that, but usually the way one falls politically depends on specific issues. I have a close relative that is a conservative on some issues while liberal on others. She doesn't want to get taxed to death, but still has that love for the old retire at 55 with a fat social security check coming in lifestyle. She was always big on younger adults (mostly high school teens, not so much college kids) not dressing or acting in a promiscuous way, but has also made comments in support of abortion.

I think most people here personally are OK with reasonable taxation, but they don't like mentalities of "lets just drive up government debt and kick the can down the road." If they are paying, they want to see a benefit, so paying higher taxes to help poor kids or adults in some other part of the state isn't usually all that popular. Even some so called liberals can be tightwads with their money around here. Our "Republicans" are now just as bad of spenders as Democrats. Instead of spending money we don't have on generous public pension plans, public housing projects, etc., they seem to want to toss out money to the wealthy elite in some form or another (direct payments, tax breaks, etc.). I think most folks just don't care anymore. They want to be able to live in a nice area, have reasonable bills, be able to save, etc.. The social issues (ie: gay marriage, abortion, guns) differ from person to person.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
The original post is form 2013! Indiana is a great place to live, don't worry about what others think.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 PM

91 posts, read 136,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Huntsville over Indy? hahahaha. "Life is like a box of chocolates "

I also find Indy bland but comparing it to Huntsville is laughable. Even compared to Birmingham and Huntsville combined, Indy is better.
Huntsville has one of the highest rates of Ph.Ds in the country. NASA is there an I'm an aeronautical engineer. Secondly Southern Women are better than MidWest(really should be called the Eastern Plains) women. Nicer, better looking, and much more loyal. Game Over. Plus Southern Cities are different unlike many MidWestern Cities which are the same place over and over to some degree.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 AM

83 posts, read 28,352 times
People move to California thinking its la la land and everything is beautiful and happy until they find out otherwise. People tend to bring their problems with them from wherever the came from and sometimes it is sometimes what you make of a place. One can see Indy as happy and another boring.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis2Indy View Post
Huntsville has one of the highest rates of Ph.Ds in the country. NASA is there an I'm an aeronautical engineer. Secondly Southern Women are better than MidWest(really should be called the Eastern Plains) women. Nicer, better looking, and much more loyal. Game Over. Plus Southern Cities are different unlike many MidWestern Cities which are the same place over and over to some degree.
Would you care to elaborate on how Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville are in anyway more unique from each other than Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cincinnati are?

And I'm honestly so sick of hearing about the "Southern Woman" from guys. It always comes off to me as a guy that prefers a woman to be subservient to him and his needs. I personally prefer a woman who challenges me and thinks for herself. They also are definitely not better looking, but that is just an opinion. I personally haven't seen better looking people than I have since moving to California. Well, other than Toronto, Canada oddly enough.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,947 times
Anyone who denies the long cold Indiana stare is gaslighting you, OR, I suppose, is not a racial or sexual minority, or "alternative" presenting in any way, or... [cue endless list]. Indiana can be rough.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL native View Post
kristelrobin - just a couple notes. We have lived here for 20 years and are native midwesterners and do find the city to be somewhat provincial at times, even already being from the midwest. Not sure what it will feel like for someone from one of the coasts - but people can be cliquish. That being said, we love living here and have made our way. If you are progressive you will probably be much happier actually living in Indianapolis - however I'm not sure what your personal situation is with work location, kids, etc. We have always actually lived in Indianapolis (3 different houses now) and find many more kindred souls (we are very liberal) among other people that live in the city vs. those that live in the suburbs. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you, IL Native -- I can imagine that would be the case, more liberal individuals in the city. Unfortunately, living in the city is out for us - I have a 2nd grader (starting 3rd grade this Fall) and a younger child who will start kindergarten in 2018. Whenever we find a great looking house in the city, it seems like the ratings for the schools are awful. We are coming to visit the city next week, actually, and are staying in Broad Ripple - we figure it will be our only chance to stay in the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis