Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Yuppies are virtually indistinguishable from gay culture, with the difference being that the neighborhoods are usually gay first, then become yuppie. Hipsters, though nearly always heterosexual, are okay with the gays, but since the gays typically have more money, there's always still a big cultural gap between them.
You seem to have your facts mixed up it's the opposite. Hipsters are more gay friendly than yuppies. And gays usually have more money?! Because they look "fabulous" doesn't mean they got more money, you can shop at Old Navy and look very gay.

Here's an example:

Yuppies, nothing gay

Hipster, most likely gay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:
Whole Foods is yuppie but definitely NOT hipster. Goose the Market is yuppie. Pogue's Run Grocery is hipster. Heck, Bud's in Fountain Square is kinda hipster too.
Must be a regional thing because hipsters frequent Whole Foods here in Virginia.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 AM

218 posts, read 462,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
You seem to have your facts mixed up it's the opposite. Hipsters are more gay friendly than yuppies. And gays usually have more money?! Because they look "fabulous" doesn't mean they got more money, you can shop at Old Navy and look very gay.

Here's an example:

Yuppies, nothing gay

Hipster, most likely gay

Which neighborhoods have more money--the gay ones or the hipster ones? Which one in Indy is wealthier--Chatham Arch or Fountain Square? I don't think there's any question.

I agree that hipsters are gay-friendly, and yes, you can look gay with clothes from Old Navy...or even a thrift store. But generally speaking, the gay culture blends in with the yuppie culture far more than the hipster.

Go to Ralston Draft House sometime: it's not an overtly gay place but it still clearly draws a gay crowd. But it's very, very, very yuppie. And yuppies don't seem to mind...most of the gays are yuppies themselves. (Guppies?)

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM

218 posts, read 462,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post

Here's an example:

Yuppies, nothing gay

Hipster, most likely gay

Also, it's kind of weird that you're using Mad Men, a show set in the 1950s, to represent yuppies, which is a term that really didn't exist until the 1980s. And didn't Mad Men have some gay characters in it, btw?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:
Hipsters are effective no-budget entrepreneurs, with lots of loyalty to anti-establishment stuff but very little capital. Not all hipster establishments are high quality but they always have a mark of individual personality.
You do realize that hipsters are major innovators in the computer tech world? Tumblr, Foursquare and Kickstarter are multimillion dollar companies that were started by hipsters. Hipsters or "betaniks" were developers of new technologies and early adopters of innovation before the rest of us knew we wanted them. There is a strong possibility that the android phone application you are using was created by a hipster.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

38 posts, read 57,809 times
Considering that the categories of this "hipster" poll are young people, walkability, bikeability, vintage stores, dive bars, vegetarian restaurants, artsy jobs and vinyl stores, this has me a little worried about our potential move from L.A. to Indy, considering these are things that I thought would be the norm in any city. There isn't all that much "hipster" about these categories, to me. I have all of these things around me in Studio City, which is a far cry from hipster havens like Silverlake.

It seems that what some consider "hipster" in Indy is what a lot of "regular" mid-thirties and younger people in Los Angeles and other West Coast cities are like. My wife and I have tattoos, have played in bands off and on, have a lot of vegan friends, go to art shows, blah blah blah, and we still occasionally joke about the hipsters here, because you're talking about waxed moustaches, vests, fedoras... just an overall ironic vibe that can sometimes be insufferable.

A tech savvy guy with tight pants and black glasses does not make a hipster, where we come from. That doesn't describe me, personally, but I'm a little worried that we're going to move to Indy and suddenly be seen as hipsters, judging by this thread. Uh oh!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Considering that the categories of this "hipster" poll are young people, walkability, bikeability, vintage stores, dive bars, vegetarian restaurants, artsy jobs and vinyl stores, this has me a little worried about our potential move from L.A. to Indy, considering these are things that I thought would be the norm in any city. There isn't all that much "hipster" about these categories, to me. I have all of these things around me in Studio City, which is a far cry from hipster havens like Silverlake.

It seems that what some consider "hipster" in Indy is what a lot of "regular" mid-thirties and younger people in Los Angeles and other West Coast cities are like. My wife and I have tattoos, have played in bands off and on, have a lot of vegan friends, go to art shows, blah blah blah, and we still occasionally joke about the hipsters here, because you're talking about waxed moustaches, vests, fedoras... just an overall ironic vibe that can sometimes be insufferable.

A tech savvy guy with tight pants and black glasses does not make a hipster, where we come from. That doesn't describe me, personally, but I'm a little worried that we're going to move to Indy and suddenly be seen as hipsters, judging by this thread. Uh oh!
We Midwesterners are largely live-and-let-live people. Attitude will do you in before appearance. Besides, according to most of the "cultured" people we're all fat and poorly dressed.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM

38 posts, read 57,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
We Midwesterners are largely live-and-let-live people. Attitude will do you in before appearance. Besides, according to most of the "cultured" people we're all fat and poorly dressed.
Yeah, I guess I'm not too worried. I grew up a Hoosier, and I'm looking forward to being around a lot of friendly people again.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post

you'll be fine. i just moved from chicago (the city...not the suburbs) and while i certainly sometimes stand out, i'm not at all uncomfortable. it's an exceptionally friendly city. you'll probably be more upset about how slow the drivers are than the lack of skinny jeans.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

hey....obesity isn't a perception or perspective issue like fashion. the citizens either are or aren't at an unhealthy weight.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...8th-worst-U-S-

and they are for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis