Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are hipsters in Indianapolis, and to suggest otherwise is complete ignorance. Would Indianapolis be light on hipsters relative to other cities its size? Yeah, maybe so.
I think that's what the list is highlighting, they never said Indianapolis was completely devoid of "hipsters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,153,483 times
What's a hipster?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think that's what the list is highlighting, they never said Indianapolis was completely devoid of "hipsters".
I think that would be fair............but we do have a history or people hopping in here to say Indianapolis has less of something, so it must have none. Silly I know; but welcome to the city data.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,521 times
I have noticed that the hipster scene is less noticeable compared to surrounding cities,even so in "hipper" parts of the city .
Which is fine by me. The last thing Indy needs is a bunch of pretentious, self-loathing trustfundies running around smutting BRIP and Irvington. That doesn't mean I agree with ANYTHING Bripguy has to say, but that's a given.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
What's a hipster?
A person who wears skinny jeans and drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Population growth does not necessarily equate decline. I offer Washington, D.C., as evidence. It lost population for years while becoming more prosperous.
and..thats not what i am even referring too.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,913,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
What's a hipster?
Hipster live a bohemian lifestyle and are into niche consumerism. They typically buy from local retailers, mom and pop shops and skilled artisans. They ride fixed gear bicycles, own analog cameras and are into recycling and the environment. Instead of a backpack a hipster will don a courier bag usually from Freitag. The guys wear skinny jean and the women normally wear mom jeans (high-wasted pants), leggings, jeggings or treggings. They are into hats, big glasses and generally read Vice, Another Magazine and Wallpaper. Oh yeah … they like to grow their own food and frequent natural food markets. Shopping or eating at Whole Foods would be considered cool by hipster standards.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Hipster live a bohemian lifestyle and are into niche consumerism. They typically buy from local retailers, mom and pop shops and skilled artisans. They ride fixed gear bicycles, own analog cameras and are into recycling and the environment. Instead of a backpack a hipster will don a courier bag usually from Freitag. The guys wear skinny jean and the women normally wear mom jeans (high-wasted pants), leggings, jeggings or treggings. They are into hats, big glasses and generally read Vice, Another Magazine and Wallpaper. Oh yeah … they like to grow their own food and frequent natural food markets. Shopping or eating at Whole Foods would be considered cool by hipster standards.
perfect!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Good working definition. Though I will add that Whole Foods is actually too corporate/establishment for the hippest of hipsters. Such individuals shop strictly at local co-ops and small organic stores and will only go to Whole Foods if they absolutely have to. And also: you must never, ever call a hipster a hipster to their face.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
oh my gosh ... upon re-reading the original article, the responses to this thread epitomize exactly what is wrong with Indianapolis ... defensiveness!

Look at the article again folks, it's NOT decrying or insulting Indianapolis at all. In fact, it's being complimentary toward Indy BECAUSE it's NOT filled with hipsters. This list is a list of cities to get away from these pretentious dorks.

It's all in good fun. Lighten up, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis