Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 PM

61 posts, read 127,206 times

Advertisements

The least depressed (i.e., "happiest") states in the U.S. are often ranked as New England and the Northeast. The happiest countries in the world are mostly in Scandinavia.

Now you tell me if New England and Scandinavia have sunnier skies than Indiana.

California and Hawaii rank #9 and #10 on the list of "happiest states," according to one of these crazy surveys. That's BELOW New Jersey (#2) and Washington, D.C. (#1).

Personally, I don't buy any of that data. But if I had to guess why it *might* be correct, here's my answer: there are wealthier people living in happy states and countries. I'm not saying being rich is all that great, but it's true: wealthier people tend to eat better food, exercise more, and stay more active. They travel a lot. They have the resources to get out of their personal hole.

ALL OF WHICH you can do right here in Indiana without being rich. Stay active, quit eating garbage, and most importantly: do something for somebody else. Those are probably the biggest parts of being happy.

I've lived in a lot of different states. There are unhappy people everywhere. After a while, you see a pattern.

(Another list has Utah, Minnesota, North Dakota, Colorado, and Nebraska as the happiest states. Again, cold states. Again, 4 out of 5 are relatively wealthy with populations that I think of as active and outdoorsy. Indiana was low on that list because, frankly, there's a lot of problems with poverty and self-perception here.)

Last edited by kwk337; 10-16-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM

61 posts, read 127,206 times
I don't trust Forbes Magazine on psychological issues, but check out their list of the "happiest states" -- none of which are on a coast, and three of which are in the Midwest.

Sports participation (as opposed to sports spectatorship), literacy, low divorce rates, and VOLUNTEERISM are apparently big reasons here. Not the weather.

Bustle (The 5 happiest states in America show us that living on the coasts may be overrated)

Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,989,569 times
Don't trust anything published on this topic, there's no good to be gained. If you have family and friends in Indiana, it will be like Heaven on Earth to you. If you do not, you may be depressed.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:59 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,216,976 times
I am always impressed with the folks that can be happy in Indiana. Honestly, it is any town America. There are fast food restaurants, chain restaurants, Walmarts, and Targets. It is safe to live in, has clean drinking water, and the cost of living is low. It is better than most places on this Earth. But I am unsure to what there is in this state that makes me jump up and down and want to go see more than any other place?

But my @%@#$#@^@^@#^#@$#@$#@ the roads are HORRIBLE! You drive into this state you immediately think the state doesn't charge income tax, property tax, sales tax, and turns down Federal road money. It is that bad. And then comes winter. I could not believe how bad they cleared the Interstate during a storm. I saw a pot hole in a city while riding my bike. I couldn't believe how deep it was. I was surprised there was still pavement at the bottom of the hole. I thought it would be gravel, dirt, or China at the bottom of the hole it was so deep.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 22,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk337 View Post
I don't trust Forbes Magazine on psychological issues, but check out their list of the "happiest states" -- none of which are on a coast, and three of which are in the Midwest.

Sports participation (as opposed to sports spectatorship), literacy, low divorce rates, and VOLUNTEERISM are apparently big reasons here. Not the weather.

Bustle (The 5 happiest states in America show us that living on the coasts may be overrated)
#3 North Dakota - Why is North Dakota so happy: They have the highest income growth, second-lowest divorce rate, and literally not enough people in the state to make anyone else unhappy

So true - alas, looking to move from ND to iNDy, not Indianapolis though... Love the solitude here. Our county has 1.2ppl / sq mile, more cows than people and not a single traffic light - not even a flasher - in over 300 sq miles!! However, too much solitude is not always fun either.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,479,261 times
Maybe its all Indiana Hooisers fans depressed about their basketball team lol

Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Maybe its all Indiana Hooisers fans depressed about their basketball team lol
Maybe IU should find someone to buy recruits like our neighbors to the south.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Take a trip up to Michigan then complain about our roads.
Just because MI is on another level of bad doesn't mean IN roads are of good quality.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 22,460 times
I don't find Indiana depressing at all. I've lived in Indiana.....northern........central and southern for 32 of my 41 years. Having lived in Kentucky which was like living in a 3rd world country its a big jump back up. One of the top half of states when it comes to basic education........a little low on income 33rd of the 50 states. Too much poverty especially in rural small towns. Big problems though with meth in these small towns which in many cases arrests happen nearly every day even in towns of 5,000 to 20,000. Indiana did rank first place in meth busts in the whole country.

Not all areas of the state are bad. Its not like being in some terrible Southern state like Arkansas or Mississippi where they enjoy being backwards.

Some progressive places in Indiana like Bloomington, Indianapolis and its suburbs and Muncie. Of course two of the three are university towns. NW Indiana provides a reasonable alternative from living in Chicago. Gary/Hammond and Merrillville area is a bit crime ridden these days due to criminal elements moving out from the city especially south Chicago and Gary.

Central Indiana is probably the best part of the state economically and with the most opportunity for good paying jobs and professions. Indianapolis is a largely underrated city minus its own crime issues especially the way too high murder rate. The suburbs of Indianapolis and the North Side of the city above 46th Street seem to be much better than other areas. However, you can also say that pretty much anywhere south of I 465 near Southport, Greenwood, Franklin is pretty good too. More middle class in the south and more upper class/rich in the north including Hamiliton County and Carmel and Fishers.

Southern Indiana is hit or miss. Bloomington would be a decent choice although its a bit lacking in the job market there. Nice housing options there and in Columbus which has more manfacturing and good paying industry than Bloomington. Bloomington is a college town surrounded by retail, healthcare, and pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. The unversity runs the town yet also creates a decent local economy. However, there are a lot of people in Bloomington with degrees and the like who have problems getting jobs in their fields.

Columbus and Seymour seem to have an increasing tax base and more retail and manufacturing opportunities. Seymour was kind of a cow town back in the 1970s and 1980s but is growing up nicely. Some auto parts manufacturers, big pharma facilities, Cummins Engine plant in Seymour. Cummins has a huge presence in Columbus being the world headquarters. Nice downtown area in Columbus that is growing but also has a retail area around National Road and 25th Street. Facing some economic issues and tends to be an expensive place to live.

As far as towns in the Southern part of the state, 3500 to 15000 people, I personally would avoid the most of them because they are usually lacking in jobs and unless you are retired its going to be hard to deal with driving everywhere to find work and the cost of doing so. However, Corydon would be a good choice being right on I 64 to go to work in Louisville or in Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany. Scottsburg and Salem less so because in my view they are less desirable places to live. Poor education systems, high drug use problems, lack of competence in their local governments and medical industry. Too much of whom you know rather than what you know.

The Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany areas are decent in places and spotty in others. Same as any larger city. Seems to be an increasing amount of criminals from locations in Louisville moving over to cause problems and more issues than there used to be. However, you do have proximity to a large city in Louisville with a lot of opportunities that is trying to turn the corner and improve itself. The worst thing about Louisville is crime issues and its high tax rates of being 4th most taxed city in the country.

When people tell me that Indiana is depressing.......there are plenty of places to go with a gas tank full whether you are going to Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Bloomington and its pretty easy to get places due to our current interstate system including I 69 being completed from Evansville to Indy. I don't know much about the Evansville area since its been a few years since I've been down there and its 2 hours from the Louisville area to that part of the state. Just don't have any reason to go.

You get what you put into life and that includes education, jobs, hobbies, taking up reading, writing, computers, ham radio, camping, travel, and so much more. Sometimes you have to learn to entertain yourself. Granted beaches are rare in Indiana with the exception of Lake Michigan and Indiana Beach in Monticello. Much wildlife, agriculture, farms, small festivals, car shows, cultural events pertaining to Indiana that won't find in some places. Its not just corn in Indiana. Indianapolis a go to city in this region other than Chicago.

Growing fast as well especially when it comes to business jobs and other opportunities requiring education and better pay as well. Biggest problem in Indiana right now in my view is brain drain and state government not addressing that issue and finding ways to get people to stay and improving the local economies. Small towns in many parts of this state are stagnating as they are in many states. The cities and semi urban areas are growing okay but the rural areas are dying off and the old people in those areas are increasingly to huge proportions as the younger people increasingly leave for decent jobs elsewhere. I grew up in Salem, some in Shelbyville, Valparaiso, Portage, and it seems that these small towns are being turned into retirement communities for the older set. They've foregone good paying manufacturing and other jobs for service jobs or retail. Not exactly a winning economic strategy for smaller town. However, thats the way the older group wants things so its best to move elsewhere you have better jobs and opportunities and take care of yourself. No point in getting stuck somewhere you don't like.

Not very familiar

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
For better or worse, I think Indiana is a middle ground on a lot of things.

The scenery isn't the worst around, but it's nor great either. The weather isn't the worst in the country, but it's no selling point. It's not complete devoid of outdoor activity, but there's little great outdoor activity here. Indiana is like this in a lot of ways.

I wouldn't call Muncie progressive at all. It's another beaten down Rust Belt city where the best days have come and gone.

Unfortunately, small towns are hurting throughout most of the country. The economy has shifted in such a way to make most of these places nonviable. Still, even towns in Indiana that aren't thought of as nice, like Anderson and Muncie, are in nowhere near as bad of shape as small towns throughout Appalachia.

Indiana is okay, but it can't change the weather or lack of natural beauty. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana