Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Not enough "man jobs". Women make a killing as nurses and crap here. Lack of low skill jobs which Indiana is = not man friendly. Get it now?

And too much police precense for place that's not exactly a 'eventful' place on most days.
I'm sorry, I'm still confused as to what this means. I didn't realize state were ranked on a "manly" factor now. Also, there are plenty of male nurses. And many hospitals at least in Indianapolis have laid off a ton of nurses to cut costs and those that aren't laid off have seen benefits cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:04 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
According to our local propaghanda machine, Indianapolis is the 9th manliest city in America.

Indy ranks 9th on "manliest" city list - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I grew two chest hairs by walking into a Home Depot just last weekend.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,082,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
If your female this is a wonderful place to live. If your male stick with the east coast or look further west.

Illinois is slightly more man friendly. No offense on Indy. But it seems only Naptown is booming in the state.
As far as Indiana being a depressing place, it really depends. If you're a young person out of college, not wanting to settle down for a few years, then Indy, W. Lafayette, and Bloomington might be OK but the rest of the state would likely be depressing. In fact, given the substance abuse, single parent homes, and lower incomes in some smaller cities and towns in the more rural areas of the state, I suspect many would find those areas are likely very depressing. I talk with college students from these areas and no one is going back since there just isn't anything there for them. If they are lucky they might land a job in one of the seven or so largest cities in state (count Indy metro as one area) that is close to home, but for the most part, many smaller towns and cities like Connersville and Richmond are hurting compared to the past. Also look at the HIV situation in S. Indiana.

As far as gender differences, I'm not sure what you are speaking about (ie: How men are treated in family court? Dating issues for men?). I will say that Indiana is more conservative when it comes to relationships and dating, so if you're a young man who wants to party, date around, etc. till your 30s, then yea, cities like NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc. will likely be a better fit. We have OK outdoor recreational opportunities, but other states have us beat by miles in that category. The larger metro areas of Indiana can provide for a good life if one wants a bit slower pace, simple living, and a somewhat cheaper cost of living.

Many of my great grandparents settled in Indy for whatever reason. So I'm mostly fourth generation. Many of my family and extended family has stayed, with only one of my cousins actually leaving for a couple of years. He always figured he would be back though and now he is. A second/third cousin recently left, but only one state away and they believe they will likely return eventually. As I've meet other people from other areas, talked to native Hoosiers leaving for other areas, I've definitely formed a different perspective on leaving a place you grew-up in for another area than I grew up with. There is no reason for my wife and I to leave the Indy area a we have great jobs here and of course most of my family is here (her family is all over the country). I do enjoy long day hikes and the mountains, and even the beach from time to time, so I could definitely see myself moving to an area that would be closer to things like that.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
Redsfanindiana makes some interesting and valid points about Indiana. However, I find the description of education in Salem to be absurd! I urge this person to offer proof that validates these claims.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoung View Post
You ought to live in Florida. Wonderful state. High crime, terrible traffic, drugs, child molestors, aliens from everywhere, hurricanes, fires, droughts. Must I go on?! I wish I lived in Indiana!
All true, except for droughts. Florida has no droughts that I'm aware of.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
They most certainly have droughts. Most of the time they are in the November - March frame.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:20 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
Florida gets a lot of rain but their shallow lakes (less than 200' of total elevation change in the whole state!) can not hold a large volume water compared to a deep lake, say Lake Cumberland KY (180' main channel). FL doesn't have many large rivers to draw from either.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Florida has droughts. They also have wildfires.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
A new study shows that Indiana is one of the most depressed states in the nation. So, what do you people think? What makes this place so depressing to people??

Indiana called more depressed than most states
I use to think Indiana was a boring place, but as I have aged, i came to realize that Indiana is not anymore or anyless depressing or boring than any other place. I think it depends on the individual. If a person doesn't have the gumption or motivation or ambition or energy to get out there and do something to change his or her situation, that person would be just as bored and depressed in a place like San Francisco or Las Vegas as they would be in a place like Kokomo or Winchester.

It's a good thing some of these people weren't around before electricity changed America to the point that we live in an instant gratification world. Did anybody ever wonder how people in those days cured their boredom?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I use to think Indiana was a boring place, but as I have aged, i came to realize that Indiana is not anymore or anyless depressing or boring than any other place. I think it depends on the individual. If a person doesn't have the gumption or motivation or ambition or energy to get out there and do something to change his or her situation, that person would be just as bored and depressed in a place like San Francisco or Las Vegas as they would be in a place like Kokomo or Winchester.

It's a good thing some of these people weren't around before electricity changed America to the point that we live in an instant gratification world. Did anybody ever wonder how people in those days cured their boredom?
The baby boom might explain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana