Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrerj View Post
I can't believe how many people are defending Indiana in this thread, as it CAN be a very depressing place to live. Other than sports, religion, politics, alcohol, concerts, and country life, there's hardly much of anything else in Indiana that would give people's lives any meaning. If you google "what to do in Indy today," most activities/events that you'll find will revolve around those 6 things. And if your personal interest do not fit any of those, you'll often times find yourself out of luck and with Netflix alone at your disposal. And that kind of situation will drain you psychologically over time. Simply put- life in Indiana can be pretty monotonous.

Another thing that throws some of us off about Hoosier society is the personality of the average Hoosier. They tend to be rather anti-social and reserved; they're generally well-mannered but not nearly as friendly as many people say. They're just superficially polite and they tend to limit their communication with people outside of their social circles to small talk. They also seem to be very uncomfortable with anybody who is openly expressive about their emotions, as Hoosiers themselves tend to be emotionally repressed. Simply put- creating intimate connections with others in Indiana is not easy and you can end up alone and feeling lonely far more than you would like. This can make dating life in Indiana to be particularly frustrating for some of us and can lead to depression over time.

There's also the issue of discrimination to repressed groups of people to consider. I belong to the LGBTQ community and I haven't found very many places in Indianapolis accessible to me that would embrace my transgender expression other than Broadripple, IUPUI, or Mass ave,. Sure, there's Bloomington [which, by the way, seems to be the only place in Indiana to have some kind of life outside of the traditional boundaries of Hoosier ife], but if you live in Indianapolis, you'll be spending two hours going to and from Indy just to get to Bloomington. Every other area at about a 60-mile radius of Indianapolis is same-ol' same-ol' Indiana. AND Bloomington is a very small city anyways.

In my opinion, and in conclusion, Indiana is just not for everyone. Indiana is ideal only for those who are into the 6 general areas of interests I mentioned above and prefer a quiet country life without much interaction with people outside of your social circle.

So did you move out of Indiana then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana