Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 17,107 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are currently debating moving to Evansville, IN. We have a young child, we are active and we don't care much on going to bars. We are not religious AT ALL. We've only been to church for weddings pretty much. We enjoy running, doing things outdoors, going to fairs & festivals, taking our son to the park, swimming, etc. I read on Courier Press' website that Evansville is ranked as the most obese metro area in the US Is Evansville a good fit? I am seeing such mixed feelings about the place on here.

Trying to figure out a way to meet people if we moved there, so I looked on meetup.com and the only group that came up was something in Kentucky. Is Evansville mostly natives? Are there many transplants coming into town?

What are some nice areas to live and raise a family? I've read about Newburgh and McCutchanville. I would consider us middle class. We would love some acreage, but don't want to be too far out in the boonies.

Also - looked on the family watchdog site and found there are A LOT of registered sex offenders in and around downtown, for such a small town, that makes me a little leery...

Sorry, I have a lot of questions, but I am afraid to make the move and be miserable. I haven't been there yet to visit and check it out but definitely plan to before committing to a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMB13 View Post
Hi! My husband and I are currently debating moving to Evansville, IN. We have a young child, we are active and we don't care much on going to bars. We are not religious AT ALL. We've only been to church for weddings pretty much. We enjoy running, doing things outdoors, going to fairs & festivals, taking our son to the park, swimming, etc. I read on Courier Press' website that Evansville is ranked as the most obese metro area in the US Is Evansville a good fit? I am seeing such mixed feelings about the place on here.

Trying to figure out a way to meet people if we moved there, so I looked on meetup.com and the only group that came up was something in Kentucky. Is Evansville mostly natives? Are there many transplants coming into town?

What are some nice areas to live and raise a family? I've read about Newburgh and McCutchanville. I would consider us middle class. We would love some acreage, but don't want to be too far out in the boonies.

Also - looked on the family watchdog site and found there are A LOT of registered sex offenders in and around downtown, for such a small town, that makes me a little leery...

Sorry, I have a lot of questions, but I am afraid to make the move and be miserable. I haven't been there yet to visit and check it out but definitely plan to before committing to a move.
Well what area of the country are you coming from? that makes it alot easier to find an area that matches where your coming from the best

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
Evansville is located in Southern Indiana. From my experience, (and I may be biased because I'm from Northern Indiana), is that once you get about an hour south of Indianapolis, there is definitely a noticeable change in the accents, lifestyle, and way of life. Not saying that is a bad thing, just different. (AND THIS IS VERY STEREOTYPICAL). However, Evansville seems to be a big enough city that you would be able to fit in. They have a nice riverwalk (along the Ohio River). Do you have jobs? What made you choose Evansville out of all places? I wouldn't say it is a highly desirable place, but I could think of worst places than Evansville. I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy Evansville that live a similar lifestyle as you. I'm curious as well, what part of the country are you coming from?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
I used to live in Evansville, graduated college in Evansville, and visit family and friends in the area frequently.

Evansville is not a transient place. The majority of people in Evansville have lived there for a generation or two and would never think of moving away. I am not saying that is a bad thing, that is just the way it is. The transient types tend to be on the east side of Evansville and into Newburgh.

Evansville has a nice river front, with a walking/biking trail along it. It is going to connect to the Pigeon Creek Trail, which when completed, will run along the creek from downtown to the north side of the city. The trail will run by Garvin Park, which is a nice park on the north side. I spent many nights at Garvin Park jogging and playing tennis.

When I was down there, I always found that you had to dig for the gems. There are some fun things to get involved with in Evansville, you have the Evansville Swing Cats and the events hosted by Funk in the City. These types of things are getting better at promoting themselves in the community.

BTW, Garden of the Gods is not too far away in Southern Illinois. Great place for a getaway.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,461 times
Avoid the west side because its more of a close knit closed off part of Evansville, so its not good for meeting people. The east side is the best for transplants.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well what area of the country are you coming from? that makes it alot easier to find an area that matches where your coming from the best
Well I'm originally from New York but have been living in the south for about 7 years. Most recently Austin, which, I know has totally spoiled me with lots to do and a very active lifestyle. There is always things going on here, but I am really missing my seasons. The terrain here is ugly though, short scrubby trees, dead grass, it's practically the desert with this drought we've had. I like tall pines and lush greenery.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Evansville is located in Southern Indiana. From my experience, (and I may be biased because I'm from Northern Indiana), is that once you get about an hour south of Indianapolis, there is definitely a noticeable change in the accents, lifestyle, and way of life. Not saying that is a bad thing, just different. (AND THIS IS VERY STEREOTYPICAL). However, Evansville seems to be a big enough city that you would be able to fit in. They have a nice riverwalk (along the Ohio River). Do you have jobs? What made you choose Evansville out of all places? I wouldn't say it is a highly desirable place, but I could think of worst places than Evansville. I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy Evansville that live a similar lifestyle as you. I'm curious as well, what part of the country are you coming from?
I am a stay at home mom, my husband works and the move would be for him to have a permanent home base, rather than moving every few years like we've been doing. In my husbands line of work, there aren't many full time permanent positions that come up. Right now we're living in Austin but we'll probably be moving from here within the next year or so anyway because of my husbands job..

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMB13 View Post
I am a stay at home mom, my husband works and the move would be for him to have a permanent home base, rather than moving every few years like we've been doing. In my husbands line of work, there aren't many full time permanent positions that come up. Right now we're living in Austin but we'll probably be moving from here within the next year or so anyway because of my husbands job..
Evansville is small compared to Austin.
Population of the city is roughly 125,000 with some small suburbs etc.
However Interstate 64 will take you to Louisville KY in about 1.5 hours. Also the Hoosier National Forest is right by there.
I like Evansville though cause it does have plenty to do for a city its size especially since its on the Ohio River.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Ooh boy...you will be sorely disappointed if you're used to the amenities of Austin (the music scene, food options, big-time university sports,...)

Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,297 times
Moved to Evansville, well, Newburgh 15 years ago from Florida. Adjustment period but like it now. Biggest small town I've ever lived in. Newburgh is definitely where I would recommend. Quaint Downtown, several restaurants (wide variety), good schools, low crime, higher income and affordable. McCutchanville is very nice but quite spendy in the real estate area and without the ameneties and tight nit community of Newburgh. Evansville is literally 3 hours from anything and everything you may want that it does not have. Nashville 2.5 hours, Louisville 1.5, Cincinnati 3, Indianapolis 3, St. Louis 3. Nice to have the option to travel to those places without having to deal with big city drawbacks daily. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana