Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:22 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,481,267 times

Advertisements

Deportation deferred for student, 23, who didn't know he was undocumented - On Deadline - USATODAY.com
Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security has deferred Monday's planned deportation of a 23-year-old Florida honors student who didn't realize until he applied for university that he has been undocumented since he was 3 years old.

Walter Lara, who considers himself the "all-American guy next door," came to the United States with his parents 20 years ago. He was supposed to be deported to Argentina, a country he says he knows little about.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
In one word: tough!

If I were Lara; I would be angry as hell at his parents for deceiving him.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
And is he now claiming that his country of Argentina is nothing but a horrendous hell hole where everyone starves to death or is he somewhat interested in learning something now about his homeland?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM

807 posts, read 1,304,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

I Agree..

Old 07-04-2009, 12:55 PM

380 posts, read 710,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Yes, but when does compassion come into play for you guys? He was 3 years old and he had no control over the situation. He sounds like an unfortunate victim in all this. Sometimes things are not so black and white, that's why when they sentence criminals they take into account mitigating factors. People on this board generalize too much. How many posts are there comparing illegal aliens to any other felon? So if things are so black and white: if a husband killed a man for raping and killing his wife and was found guilty of murder would you say "tough, throw him on the gurney a murderer is a murderer." That is why mitagating factors are allowed in testimonies in court cases. Or is it ok in that instance but not for the 3 year old?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

256 posts, read 479,985 times
He best get acquainted with Argentine soon, cause he'll be going back when the American people reject the amnesty bills like we did last time around.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Yes, but when does compassion come into play for you guys? He was 3 years old and he had no control over the situation. He sounds like an unfortunate victim in all this. Sometimes things are not so black and white, that's why when they sentence criminals they take into account mitigating factors. People on this board generalize too much. How many posts are there comparing illegal aliens to any other felon? So if things are so black and white: if a husband killed a man for raping and killing his wife and was found guilty of murder would you say "tough, throw him on the gurney a murderer is a murderer." That is why mitagating factors are allowed in testimonies in court cases. Or is it ok in that instance but not for the 3 year old?
My compassion died concerning illegal aliens.

If we were dealing with maybe 100K of them that would be one thing----------7-12 million of those criminals here is not acceptable.

Again: it is Lara's damn parents who (knowingly) dropped the ball. We owe illegals nothing except deportation.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,481,267 times
Quote:
He would deserve to be punished just as any other murderer. If he wanted the man who raped and killed his wife punished, he should have allowed the police and courts to handle it. (I admit it's easy for me to say this having never been in this position. Regardless, I do not think that letting a murderer, even in that case, off the hook is appropriate. Period.)

On the issue of criminal aliens, it's all black and white IMO as far as the way the LAW should deal with it. Do I feel bad for him? You bet. Does he need to be out of the country? YES.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-04-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,674,370 times
good luck with these people.

im of the opinion that these kids should not suffer the consequences of their parents misdeeds. i would have no problem with these students being granted citizenship on the condition they not sponsor the people that caused this problem [their parents].

Quote:

Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 PM

122 posts, read 150,811 times
I love how incredibly clueless people on this board are about how the government is supposed to work. If the law was meant to be heartless and incompassionate, then we wouldn't have courts to oversee its application.

By the logic of many people here, if you drive over the speed limit you are a filthy criminal just like these illegal aliens and shouldn't have a drivers license. Only it's convenient to overlook those laws, isn't it?

This guy grew up in the United States. He's just as much an American as any of you, unless you think that the only thing important about a person is what the USCIS has on file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration