Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,032 times

Advertisements

he goes on to say "I'm not going to be rounding up people and deporting them"

Viva Romney!!!

Romney On Self Deportation, The Arizona Law - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 AM

98 posts, read 95,525 times
Aahhh pandering.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,788,602 times
Pandering?? Is pandering something that is exlcusive to Obama?

He's more clear about illegal and legal immigration than Obama has. He's absolutely right about E-Verify. Make it hard for illegals to secure work. Add to that take away the government bennies that they seem to believe they are entitled to, stop giving auto citizenship to children born in the US to illegals, and you will see illegals lining up to self-deport.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
he goes on to say "I'm not going to be rounding up people and deporting them"

Viva Romney!!!

Romney On Self Deportation, The Arizona Law - YouTube
I rarely agree with Romney, but in this case, I agree with everything he said. Since you are applauding him, I can only assume you do as well. At no time did he say he is in favor of amnesty, or rewarding illegals with a path to citizenship. He simply stated he is not in favor of rounding up millions of illegals for deportation. If you understood the deportation process, you would understand his argument. I think some people perceive deportation as being a procedure whereby ICE will enter homes, work places, etc. and start apprehending illegals for immediate removal from the country. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that.

Before illegals can be deported, DHS must first determine if they have been previously deported. Why? Because, a prior deportation automatically classifies the case as a federal offense. This requires an investigation by local and federal law enforcement agencies, which, of course, means wasting our scant tax funds. If it is determined an illegal alien has a prior deportation, which is common for millions, our lengthy due process applies.

As a federal offense, each case must be prosecuted in our federal courts, which requires providing a tax-funded public defender if the illegal cannot afford an attorney, which is usual. Unless the illegal pleads guilty and waives a court appearance, the case must be processed by the court and an indictment must be presented to a federal grand jury. To prove probable cause for the charges in the indictment, a federal agent must testify before the grand jury. More tax funds are wasted. If indicted, illegals must be given their day in court, which is another total waste of tax funds. Not to mention, most will require a tax-funded interpreter, and the ensuing deportation will cost additional thousands of tax dollars. This is a simplified version of the process, which is actually far more involved. But, I think you catch my drift. There is also a process for those without a prior deportation, which again involves squandering our valuable tax funds; whereas, it will cost us nothing, if they leave of their own volition.

A better solution is to enforce our laws, which is exactly what Romney stated. He also mentioned E-Verify to ensure only legal workers are employed. Why do you think he said some will choose to return home and apply through legal channels? They would only "choose" that option if they realized they could no longer remain in this country, which is exactly the outcome we need. If we had a president with enough b*lls to enforce our laws, severely punish all who willfully employ illegals, and deny them all tax-funded benefits, most would indeed leave. They stay because they can. This isn't rocket science.

Not supporting mass deportation is not the same as supporting amnesty. Nor does it mean illegals are welcome to remain in this country. I think you need to watch the video again.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
I'm also not in favor of some big door-to-door search and round-up of illegals.

I'm all for deportation as they make themselves known and cutting them off all governmnent handouts and the shutting down of workplaces that hire them. Go after the greedy employers, and that means all the employers of illegals. Fine them out of existence.

Encourage self-deporation -- that's all it took Mexico etc to get them to leave their homeland.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm also not in favor of some big door-to-door search and round-up of illegals.

I'm all for deportation as they make themselves known and cutting them off all governmnent handouts and the shutting down of workplaces that hire them. Go after the greedy employers, and that means all the employers of illegals. Fine them out of existence.

Encourage self-deporation -- that's all it took Mexico etc to get them to leave their homeland.
Right now companies get a flat one-off-fine regardless if they are found to have 1 illegal or 100 illegals working for them. The penalty of fines needs to be amended. If a company is found to have 10 illegals and the fine for each illegal found is $25,000, then times that 10. See how quick those companies would be to hire another illegal.

Every company by law should be required to implement and be in compliance with E-verify, not make it optional.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Right now companies get a flat one-off-fine regardless if they are found to have 1 illegal or 100 illegals working for them. The penalty of fines needs to be amended. If a company is found to have 10 illegals and the fine for each illegal found is $25,000, then times that 10. See how quick those companies would be to hire another illegal.

Every company by law should be required to implement and be in compliance with E-verify, not make it optional.
Exactly. As long as employers know they'll receive a slap on the wrist, there is no incentive to obey the law. The measly fines they pay are just considered the cost of doing business. Make it hurt, and their behavior will change. Until then, it will be illegal business as usual.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

Exactly. $25,000 an illegal would be a very fair fine, and it should apply to all those who have illegal servants like live-in nannies as well as the big businesses.

A fair and enforced fine would do a lot to end this problem but also something needs to be done about birthright citizenship and the parents able to show up and pick up their welfare handouts like food stamps. Giving birth to children you cannot afford should not get you a free pass around the immigration laws.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,675,396 times
I agree door to door is not a good strategy, but making it hard for them to live & have a life here will work.

Stopping all the incentives for them to come will make them leave.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. $25,000 an illegal would be a very fair fine, and it should apply to all those who have illegal servants like live-in nannies as well as the big businesses.

A fair and enforced fine would do a lot to end this problem but also something needs to be done about birthright citizenship and the parents able to show up and pick up their welfare handouts like food stamps. Giving birth to children you cannot afford should not get you a free pass around the immigration laws.
If not for birthright citizenship, half of the illegals would not be here. They continue to come, because they know even if they can't get a job, all they have to do is give birth to avail themselves of all of our tax-funded benefits and services. This is beyond insane, and will surely lead to the demise of this country.

Birthright citizenship is also a major factor in the skyrocketing numbers of welfare and food stamp recipients. Illegals are draining this country dry. When nothing is left to take, they'll return home where they have stored some of the funds they send monthly. In fact, some have already returned home and are building homes and starting businesses from the money they stole from this country. Some will continue to fleece U.S. taxpayers after leaving. I will never understand why so many citizens can't see what's happening. Bleeding heart liberalism is truly a certifiable disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration