Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM

122 posts, read 150,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh please.

Argentina has a culture this student could never relate to? His parents are from there for goodness sakes, he IS familiar with that culture.
Not everyone preserves their native culture when they emigrate from their homeland. I'm pretty sure this kid grew up as a normal high school student in a US school, surrounded by US culture.
Quote:
Age 23 is a great age to study in foreign countries, even more so when that foreign country is your own country. Look at American students who eagerly go off to study in Latin American countries, wanting to broaden their horizons. Yet you're claiming that a citizen from Argentina cannot adapt at all to the culture and country of his own family????? That's beyond absurd.
There's a difference between taking an opportunity to travel, and being deported. If he wants to take a vacation there or study there, that's great. But I really think that deporting him as though he intentionally flaunted the law or had any idea whatsoever of what was going on is immoral.

Quote:
I was younger than that when I went to study in Mexico. It was a great experience.
I am sure it was, I've traveled extensively and am better for it. I also know that I would be devastated if I were deported because despite my sardonic tone, I actually love this country quite a bit.

I just don't think he stands to gain anything from being alienated from the country he has known as his home. I don't think that the US has anything to gain from it, either.

Last edited by evil leftist dogma; 07-05-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Like I said, he can't know he could never adapt to his own country if he doesn't give it a chance.

At age 23, there should be no problem for him adapting if he attends a university in his own country versus attending one here.

When back home, he could apply for a foreign student visa to study in the USA -- just like his fellow countrymen do.

Now imagine if this were reversed. Say there's an American citizen who finds that he is illegally living in Argentina or some other country. Now what if that American is returned to the USA -- would you be wringing your hands and getting all emotional over that?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM

And if you love this country, you would respect it's laws, and you would realize that we may want some immigration but we can't bring in the entire world.

Immigration must be orderly, fair, and it should not reward lawbreakers over those who respect our laws.

Just because this guy's parents chose to break the laws doesn't mean he should be given dibs over an immigration slot over someone whose parents abided by the laws and did everything the right way.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Now imagine if this were reversed. Say there's an American citizen who finds that he is illegally living in Argentina or some other country. Now what if that American is returned to the USA -- would you be wringing your hands and getting all emotional over that?
I would think it was immoral then, too. It would cause great hardship to citizens of Argentina and to the US Citizen in question. I don't see that as worth it.

Quote:
And if you love this country, you would respect it's laws, and you would realize that we may want some immigration but we can't bring in the entire world.

Immigration must be orderly, fair, and it should not reward lawbreakers over those who respect our laws.

Just because this guy's parents chose to break the laws doesn't mean he should be given dibs over an immigration slot over someone whose parents abided by the laws and did everything the right way.
This isn't the entire world, this is a welldoing individual who is an underdog in this case. And I agree, he shouldn't be given an immigration slot at someone else's expense. He should be allowed to bypass the quota. He's already been here for almost all of his life.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil leftist dogma View Post
I would think it was immoral then, too. It would cause great hardship to citizens of Argentina and to the US Citizen in question. I don't see that as worth it.

This isn't the entire world, this is a welldoing individual who is an underdog in this case. And I agree, he shouldn't be given an immigration slot at someone else's expense. He should be allowed to bypass the quota. He's already been here for almost all of his life.
And that's just what his lawbreaking parents counted on, that he would be made an exception, moved to the front of the line, given special privileges.

Then with his new USA citizenship, he can sponsor them for their retirement years here with their nice fat social security retirement check.

So....would it be okay to deport the 7 year old whose parents snuck him in at age 5? He's just as innocent.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times
Quote:

Considering the large numbers of people waiting to come here legally----------no dice.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:

And -- as we all know this isn't the *only* exception you'd make to lawbreakers.

You also want the woman who was here illegally who tried to change her status with a green card marriage allowed to stay. She has a husband and kids here and doesn't want to obey her deportation orders. That's another way around the laws after all.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
And that's just what his lawbreaking parents counted on, that he would be made an exception, moved to the front of the line, given special privileges.

Then with his new USA citizenship, he can sponsor them for their retirement years here with their nice fat social security retirement check.

So....would it be okay to deport the 7 year old whose parents snuck him in at age 5? He's just as innocent.
The seven year old does not have ties to the United States like this individual does. And ties to your native country do play a factor in admission on different visas to the US- an absence thereof in a case like this should be somewhat considerable.

Also, maybe the punishment to the parents could be automatic rejection through family sponsorship. I'm sure it could be set up easily enough.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,484,465 times
Quote:
Sorry that your education system doesn't pump out enough healthcare professionals to take care of your aging population.
No doubt whatever Third World country you are from needs your services far more than we do. Since you are such a kind, compassionate person you should return to your homeland and help your fellow citizens. You could even work for free as a humanitarian gesture.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The seven year old does not have ties to the United States like this individual does. And ties to your native country do play a factor in admission on different visas to the US- an absence thereof in a case like this should be somewhat considerable.

Also, maybe the punishment to the parents could be automatic rejection through family sponsorship. I'm sure it could be set up easily enough.
Then what is your criteria for who should go home and who is to be made an exception to the laws?

Parents of anchor babies -- should they go home or be allowed to stay on as their reward for trying to circumvent the legal process and also obtain welfare?

How many years must a child brought in against his will be here before being give the special pass?

And green card marriages, which of them gets the illegal a free pass? Only those who quickly manage to give birth? Or is that fair to the childless illegal in a green card marriage? Should someone under deportation orders who runs out and finds a spouse be given their legal right to stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.