Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,566,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Why did anyone come to America? Money.
Until recently, they came for freedom from tyranny and injustice and religious oppression...freedom from death squads and dictators....freedom of thought and speech....freedom from starvation and mass death....freedom from forced military service....freedom from torture, mass rape, unjust imprisonment. Freedom from ethnic cleansing, ethnic violence, and 'purges'.

Money? Some of them got money, after a generation or so. But that's not why immigrants came to America, up until the last few years. That's why so many people feel these new 'immigrants' aren't coming with the same attitude as before. No patience for all that sappy 'Statue of Liberty" junk nowadays. Just money and 'perks'....and 'doing what you want, because nobody can stop you'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Until recently, they came for freedom from tyranny and injustice and religious oppression...freedom from death squads and dictators....freedom of thought and speech....freedom from starvation and mass death....freedom from forced military service....freedom from torture, mass rape, unjust imprisonment. Freedom from ethnic cleansing, ethnic violence, and 'purges'.

Money? Some of them got money, after a generation or so. But that's not why immigrants came to America, up until the last few years. That's why so many people feel these new 'immigrants' aren't coming with the same attitude as before. No patience for all that sappy 'Statue of Liberty" junk nowadays. Just money and 'perks'....and 'doing what you want, because nobody can stop you'....
What's recently? Pre-20th century?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If they ARE Mexico, and love it so intensely, why don't they remain there and fight to make it a better country? Why do they leave the land they love for the land they hate? I simply can’t fathom this mindset.

I was taught that anything worth having was worth fighting for. Mexico is a wealthy country. It’s not as though there are no natural resources or means for employment. Why do they come here DEMANDING from us, yet they don’t have enough gumption to DEMAND their rights in their own country?

We don’t want, nor do we need, millions of illegal aliens whose bodies are here and hearts are in Mexico. It’s best for all involved that they reunite.
What about all the Irish, Italians, Germans, Jews, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, and All the other people who came here? ALL those groups didn't come here feeling American. They lived in enclaves, and practiced a lot of their culture. And their children became the Americans we know today.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Well the main factor in people coming to the U.S is really money. I've sat their and listened to stories of illegal aliens and why they come here. All stories are the monetary incentive that is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
VERY recently. People are STILL coming for those reasons. Vietnamese...Cubans....Somalis....Chinese....Haiti ans.....many others. Coming for freedom and a chance to stay alive, not for a pay raise.

3,645 posts, read 4,930,616 times
Quote:
What about all the Irish, Italians, Germans, Jews, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, and All the other people who came here? ALL those groups didn't come here feeling American. They lived in enclaves, and practiced a lot of their culture. And their children became the Americans we know today.
Why is it that you feel that two wrongs are going to make a right if you spew it often enough? So the hell what the immigrants of yesteryear did? Why in the hell don't you worry about your damn brethern of NOW and stop spinning your damn history?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Pre-20th century was the European immigrants through ellis island. They had a monetary incentive as well.

Pre-21st Century immigration mainly came from South America, they have a monetary incentive as well.

Only a small fraction of all immigrants really did come here from religious persecution, refugee's and so forth.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,418,429 times
Quote:
They ARE that country!

I dont love America for having Guantanamo Bay, or invading Iraq, or for any other shady stuff America does. I love it because its my home, its my culture, its where I've lived my life.

Thats why they are proud of Mexico, because they are Mexico. Thats where their culture is and their family is, where they come from.

Since America was born, people have been coming from other countries and loving their countries EVEN though they had to flee it. And they broght their cultures, which with a bunch of other cultures MADE American culture.

Why is that concept so hard for you to get through your head?
Why? Because I am a descendant of slaves who marched in the civil rights movement at the age of 4 and I continued to fight for the country that I loved until I was not granted the full rights of citizenship. While discrimination still exists, I am entitled to full rights in MY country.

That being said, what the hell has Mexico done for its "brown people" other than wave bye-bye and lock the damn gates after they leave and hates the idea of them returning?

Yet they love, honor and send money back to prop up their starving relatives in a country that hates them? There was an old song by the Spinners entitled: It takes a fool to learn that love don't love nobody.

Translation: It's foolish to love when you are not loved back. Mexico has no love for their "brown people" aka fools that love a country that could care less whether they lived or died.

Trying to figure that insanity out is beyond the realm of rocket science.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Well the main factor in people coming to the U.S is really money. I've sat their and listened to stories of illegal aliens and why they come here. All stories are the monetary incentive that is here.
If you're talking about illegal aliens, of COURSE they're coming for money. You earlier suggested that EVERYONE came for this reason.....not so.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Because I am a descendant of slaves who marched in the civil rights movement at the age of 4 and I continue to fight for the country that as a child although a citizen, I was not granted the full rights of citizenship. While discrimination still exists, I am entitled to full rights in MY country.

That being said, what the hell has Mexico done for its "brown people" other than wave bye-bye and lock the damn gates after they leave and moan at the idea of them returning? But they love, honor and send money back to prop up their starving relatives.

Trying to figure that insanity out is beyond the realm of rocket science.
I think the "coming back and moaning" comment is pure speculation. That video's headline that was posted earlier about the Mexican consulate not wanting its citizens back is mismatched. The video isn't talking about how Mexico doesn't want its citizens back. It's talking about Mexicans going back to the U.S because illegals aren't finding enough work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration