Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,332,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I'd like to see the numbers. My point is, Id bet a much larger percentage don't have ancestors that fought those wars. Id bet theres a lot more "recent" immigrants that are Americans.
Well my ancestors have fought in every war since the Revolutionary War. My grandmother-who is 100% native American- Leni Lenape- also tells me that my ancestors on her side helped fight in the Rev War. Were they outright soldiers? That I don't know but I do know that they assisted some in the fight in the battles in NJ-according to my grandma.

I am sure my ancestors both Native American and non-Native American- that fought to make this country great in the "older wars" as you like to describe them-including the Revolutionary War and the Civil War are probably turning over in their graves at all the crap going on in this country today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
If it makes anyone feel better I have no idea who my ancestors are. I don't know what tribe my ancestors were in, or what part of Europe they're from.
Maybe you came from the planet Remulak like the Coneheads. Or maybe you are actually the alien High Commander who crashed their spaceship into the East River on Third Rock From the Sun.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Well my ancestors have fought in every war since the Revolutionary War. My grandmother-who is 100% native American- Leni Lenape- also tells me that my ancestors on her side helped fight in the Rev War. Were they outright soldiers? That I don't know but I do know that they assisted some in the fight in the battles in NJ-according to my grandma.

I am sure my ancestors both Native American and non-Native American- that fought to make this country great in the "older wars" as you like to describe them-including the Revolutionary War and the Civil War are probably turning over in their graves at all the crap going on in this country today.
How many other Americans can claim the same? Maybe youre the most American of us all!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:31 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,365 times
Quote:
How many other Americans can claim the same? Maybe youre the most American of us all!
What would it matter? My families didn't get to America until the late 19th century, would that make me LESS American?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that it is not a HUGE amount but I do believe that it is a DECENT amount. Both sides of my family(mom and dad) go back far-native Americans and "white" settlers. Both sides of my husband's family go back only to his grandparents coming here from another country-mid-late 1800's. I think one of his grandparents "may" have arrived earlier.

I think that neither me nor my husband are the norm. I think that a lot of people may have a mixed bag-some that came here early and some that came here later. Black Americans descended from slaves have ancestry going back very far in some cases-to the 1600's. Most Black Americans - not recent immigrants from Africa, the Islands, etc. can more than likely claim their ancestors fought in perhaps the Rev War and more than likely the Civil War.

At any rate, Americans have fought to make this a great country-some have been here a long time some have not. The length of time here does not diminsh their sacrifice. Revolutonary War or WWII, I would think they would be upset at the changes in our country after the sacrifices that they made.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
What would it matter? My families didn't get to America until the late 19th century, would that make me LESS American?
Of course not. It doesn't matter. An American is an American is an American. I was just responding to the post about ancestors fighting in the "older wars". Immigration-from the earliest settlers to those who do it today-legally-has been a great part of our history and made our country the great country it is today. Immigrants whether here in 1600 or 2000 have sacrificed to make this country a great place and I think many who have died would be sad to see what has happened to our country.

I am sure your ancestors who came here legally in the late 19th century would probably be upset at the way our immigration system is being abused today.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
That was my point. Glad you agree.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post

I am sure your ancestors who came here legally in the late 19th century would probably be upset at the way our immigration system is being abused today.
FYI, amc, ^^^ THIS is what I agree with...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I cannot imagine that this might annoy an American citizen whose ancestors fought and died for this country.

Remind those fools that their ancestors stole the land from the Aztecs ca. 1492 and, all too often, killed the men and raped the women.

Besides: Mexico has only been truly sovereign since 1867 when the French left.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 39,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Looks like the guy didn't provoke the attack as some posters suggested in the other thread.

Whether he provoked the attack or not doesn't give anyone a licence to beat someone to death.
We live in a fair universe, what you do to others will come back to you even worse than you gave it out.
People may not be fair, but God is and he will render to every man his due reward whether for good or evil.
Sad for the man who is dead, sad for his family but more sad for the devils who did this, they will answer for this no doubt to God who respects no man'sperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration