Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Current Daily Average of Illegal Aliens Entering the United States
Close to 0 per day 1 6.67%
Less than 100 per day 0 0%
Between 100 to 1000 per day 7 46.67%
From 1000 to 5000 per day 3 20.00%
More than 5000 per day 4 26.67%
Other (state estimate in comment) 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,958 times

Advertisements

I'm asking about what you think the number is on a daily average currently. Please say how you are arriving at that opinion. You can include those that are entering legally (Border Crossing Card, "Tourist" visa, Visa Waiver Program, "Refugee" or "Asylum" cases, immigration based on marriage to a U.S. citizen) but you relate as being false intentions to stay, just identify what portion that plays in your numbers.

Don't let this degenerate in any of the dozen ways that the threads here commonly do, I am looking for people to state what they feel are current rates of illegal aliens coming in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,359,290 times
I chose 1-5k and am considering border jumpers only, not overstays.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I chose 1-5k and am considering border jumpers only, not overstays.
Ok, in the terminology, "EWI" (Entry Without Inspection). Do you also attribute visa overstays at the recognized average of about 40% of illegal aliens that would enter during the current year? What do you use as a way of estimating the number of EWI's?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Ok, in the terminology, "EWI" (Entry Without Inspection). Do you also attribute visa overstays at the recognized average of about 40% of illegal aliens that would enter during the current year? What do you use as a way of estimating the number of EWI's?
Various figures I keep hearing over and over in the media for EWIs. I have no idea about overstays; you hear less about those since we have such a massive problem with EWIs in this state.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,141,030 times
Quote:
I'm asking about what you think the number is on a daily average currently. Please say how you are arriving at that opinion. You can include those that are entering legally (Border Crossing Card, "Tourist" visa, Visa Waiver Program, "Refugee" or "Asylum" cases, immigration based on marriage to a U.S. citizen) but you relate as being false intentions to stay, just identify what portion that plays in your numbers.

Don't let this degenerate in any of the dozen ways that the threads here commonly do, I am looking for people to state what they feel are current rates of illegal aliens coming in...
Ok, fair enough. I think it's over 100 per day because.

#1 The daily round up in the Phoenix area (including drop houses) is around 50 per day, according to the
Local news channels (65, 67, 69, 71).

#2 Sheriff Joe Arapio (probably exaggerated) and his "crime sweeps", every week.

#3 The absurd amount of drugs captured on a daily basis in Pinal County.

#4 The ridiculous amount of hit & runs (2 per day) and shootings in the Phoenix area.

Just my observations on the subject here.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Various figures I keep hearing over and over in the media for EWIs. I have no idea about overstays; you hear less about those since we have such a massive problem with EWIs in this state.
How do you or the media know if an illegal alien would be originally from an EWI or a visa overstay? Outside of asking the person directly, it wouldn't be obvious or a difference in status once the visa is expired. There is one slight benefit for a visa overstay, but it falls outside of the scope of the topic for now.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Ok, fair enough. I think it's over 100 per day because.

#1 The daily round up in the Phoenix area (including drop houses) is around 50 per day, according to the
Local news channels (65, 67, 69, 71).

#2 Sheriff Joe Arapio (probably exaggerated) and his "crime sweeps", every week.

#3 The absurd amount of drugs captured on a daily basis in Pinal County.

#4 The ridiculous amount of hit & runs (2 per day) and shootings in the Phoenix area.

Just my observations on the subject here.
Of course I was interested in recent arrivals, which doesn't extrapolate well to driving vehicles or having guns. Drugs may come in (and be dropped off) independently, or might not have purely a Mexican origin. "Drop house" numbers would be the closest estimation for your area.

Another member in the Phoenix area ("Packard fan") claims to see less "illegal aliens" in 2012 compared to 2006...

Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,141,030 times
Quote:
Of course I was interested in recent arrivals, which doesn't extrapolate well to driving vehicles or having guns. Drugs may come in (and be dropped off) independently, or might not have purely a Mexican origin. "Drop house" numbers would be the closest estimation for your area.

Another member in the Phoenix area ("Packard fan") claims to see less "illegal aliens" in 2012 compared to 2006...
That's possible as Ive only been here since 2009. It still seems like the wild west though. lol

Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
That's possible as Ive only been here since 2009. It still seems like the wild west though. lol
Phoenix? Maybe at Rawhide. The City-Data data does confuse me that the income is lower, and housing prices higher, than the rest of Arizona on average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
How do you or the media know if an illegal alien would be originally from an EWI or a visa overstay? Outside of asking the person directly, it wouldn't be obvious or a difference in status once the visa is expired. There is one slight benefit for a visa overstay, but it falls outside of the scope of the topic for now.
Because you can go to the border any day of the week and film them jumping the fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration