Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Current Daily Average of Illegal Aliens Entering the United States
Close to 0 per day 1 6.67%
Less than 100 per day 0 0%
Between 100 to 1000 per day 7 46.67%
From 1000 to 5000 per day 3 20.00%
More than 5000 per day 4 26.67%
Other (state estimate in comment) 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,670,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm asking about what you think the number is on a daily average currently. Please say how you are arriving at that opinion. You can include those that are entering legally (Border Crossing Card, "Tourist" visa, Visa Waiver Program, "Refugee" or "Asylum" cases, immigration based on marriage to a U.S. citizen) but you relate as being false intentions to stay, just identify what portion that plays in your numbers.

Don't let this degenerate in any of the dozen ways that the threads here commonly do, I am looking for people to state what they feel are current rates of illegal aliens coming in...
As the OP, why didn't you start with your estimate and the basis for your opinion? I didn't vote, because I have no idea how many illegals enter daily. It would be like trying to guess the number of clouds in the sky in the U.S. based on those counted through the window of an airplane flying from DC to Florida. As we all know, the government also has no idea. The best they can do is guesstimate on the basis of apprehensions, which is pointless.

In addition, why should we include legal entries, in particular: waivers, refugees, and asylum seekers? As you know, they are not illegal aliens. Or, are you trying to make this yet another discussion on legal immigration? Based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,878,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Because you can go to the border any day of the week and film them jumping the fences.
Personally, or through stock FOX footage? By saying "fences", and "go to the border", it even constrains where you are talking about, and how most are believed to "EWI" currently (I saw a week ago that they announced the opening of Camp Garza). There doesn't even seem to be any active "Minuteman" groups that "go to the border" now.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As the OP, why didn't you start with your estimate and the basis for your opinion? I didn't vote, because I have no idea how many illegals enter daily. It would be like trying to guess the number of clouds in the sky in the U.S. based on those counted through the window of an airplane flying from DC to Florida. As we all know, the government also has no idea. The best they can do is guesstimate on the basis of apprehensions, which is pointless...
You're getting close to how I would start my opinion, and have seen in my responses that I am trying to put a reality into this discussion...

Quote:
...In addition, why should we include legal entries, in particular: waivers, refugees, and asylum seekers? As you know, they are not illegal aliens. Or, are you trying to make this yet another discussion on legal immigration? Based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? Right.
There was a brief interaction I had with "malamute" a couple weeks back after he claimed Mexicans were getting asylum status in "very large numbers". He also said that an entire family could not be dislodged from the wide range of benefits after a single declaration upon entry (which is patently false, and anyone that knows how to search on the Internet can verify it). I then provided statistics showing what the numbers really were for Mexican asylum claims.

You really don't understand how it is for me to hear over and over from "malamute" to how "Green Card marriages" are illegitimate if the family chooses to live here? I am not interested in whatever Freudian transfers others try to put on my relationships, nor others offering unsolicited "advice" on my family's ethnicity in forum PM's. Or the irony of a VA worker here that openly dismisses my U.S. citizenship, much less the service I have given to this country.

Years ago I saw something from a doctorate student that really aligned a fundamental concept in this debate, but I have yet to relate it because we seem stuck in establishing even basic details without hyperbole here...

The question relates in the manner in which it was said, whatever individuals that you feel are gaming the system in coming legally, but with false intentions. I'm trying to get a different discussion going that doesn't fall into the same derailments and stuff that has been said again and again. Maybe that is futile, I don't know.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,244,722 times
There is no way to know and that is one of the basic problems with no real enforcement.What seems crazy to me is people are still using 11 million as the estimated number of illegals here. THAT IS THE SAME NUMBER THEY WERE USING OVER 10 YEARS AGO... I think it may be more like 40 million but who is counting?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
There is no way to know and that is one of the basic problems with no real enforcement.What seems crazy to me is people are still using 11 million as the estimated number of illegals here. THAT IS THE SAME NUMBER THEY WERE USING OVER 10 YEARS AGO... I think it may be more like 40 million but who is counting?
Your first sentence is the only specific section that could be on illegal aliens currently entering the United States. What are you relating as "no real enforcement"? Is the highest amount of Border Patrol agents in our history effectively doing their jobs? Source what you are using to determine that.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You're getting close to how I would start my opinion, and have seen in my responses that I am trying to put a reality into this discussion...
Why don't you just post your opinion?

Quote:
There was a brief interaction I had with "malamute" a couple weeks back after he claimed Mexicans were getting asylum status in "very large numbers". He also said that an entire family could not be dislodged from the wide range of benefits after a single declaration upon entry (which is patently false, and anyone that knows how to search on the Internet can verify it). I then provided statistics showing what the numbers really were for Mexican asylum claims.

You really don't understand how it is for me to hear over and over from "malamute" to how "Green Card marriages" are illegitimate if the family chooses to live here? I am not interested in whatever Freudian transfers others try to put on my relationships, nor others offering unsolicited "advice" on my family's ethnicity in forum PM's. Or the irony of a VA worker here that openly dismisses my U.S. citizenship, much less the service I have given to this country.

Years ago I saw something from a doctorate student that really aligned a fundamental concept in this debate, but I have yet to relate it because we seem stuck in establishing even basic details without hyperbole here...

The question relates in the manner in which it was said, whatever individuals that you feel are gaming the system in coming legally, but with false intentions. I'm trying to get a different discussion going that doesn't fall into the same derailments and stuff that has been said again and again. Maybe that is futile, I don't know.
I don't understand what you're trying to prove. No one knows how many enter this country illegally, be it daily, weekly, monthly, or annually. Nor do we have any credible data on the number of scam marriages, fraudulently obtained refugee status, asylum seekers, etc. Any response would be pure speculation. If you have an issue with someone questioning your citizenship, sending you private messages, or "malamute" in general, why not address it privately with them?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,542,008 times
Quote:
Personally, or through stock FOX footage? By saying "fences", and "go to the border", it even constrains where you are talking about, and how most are believed to "EWI" currently (I saw a week ago that they announced the opening of Camp Garza). There doesn't even seem to be any active "Minuteman" groups that "go to the border" now.
Next time you're in Texas, let's drive to the border and I'll show you.

A childhood friend of mine is living in Tucson and she sees it every day. E-veh-ry day.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
...I don't understand what you're trying to prove. No one knows how many enter this country illegally, be it daily, weekly, monthly, or annually. Nor do we have any credible data on the number of scam marriages, fraudulently obtained refugee status, asylum seekers, etc. Any response would be pure speculation...
I'm trying to gain a feel for what others think the number may be, and how they determine that opinion. If someone says they've seen video of illegal aliens jumping a fence, I want to know if it is file footage, and from how many years before (and a statement to say that someone can go to the border at any time to see it happening in front of their face makes me want to ask where). Perception drives what people believe, what does someone saying "no real enforcement" mean if there are thousands of Border Patrol agents operating around the clock along the border?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM

63,558 posts, read 29,704,966 times
Quote:
I'm trying to gain a feel for what others think the number may be, and how they determine that opinion. If someone says they've seen video of illegal aliens jumping a fence, I want to know if it is file footage, and from how many years before (and a statement to say that someone can go to the border at any time to see it happening in front of their face makes me want to ask where). Perception drives what people believe, what does someone saying "no real enforcement" mean if there are thousands of Border Patrol agents operating around the clock along the border?
Obviously since we have had millions of illegal immigrants violate our borders in the past and still coming in numbers that we are unsure of then the "enforcement" isn't working. Changes need to be made to keep them from coming.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
We have had thousands of agents stationed "around the clock" on our border with Mexico for years. But, that obviously hasn't prevented millions from entering illegally. In my opinion, "no real enforcement" means the government ignores our laws. In fact, our laws are not only ignored, illegals are generously rewarded. If they reach our shores without detection, they're almost guaranteed a life in this country, especially if they produce a U.S. citizen. Our "enforcement" is a joke, which is precisely why millions are here, they will continue to come, and the deported invariably return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration