Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,640,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
thing is...from what i know, you cannot drive a car without having your DL on your person. so strike one if this is how you drive and get pulled over.

next...if you are visiting America with valid paperwork, it is a DOS requirement that you have that paperwork on you at all times as well. this is pretty standard in almost all foreign countries as well. so strike two...the yemeni guy did produce his paperwork but he is/was legally required to be carrying it.

so yes, you can be arrested if you do not have ID when driving a car or in any other altercation where law enforcement is involved. the probability that a person with no hint of an accent pulled over by the cops and no DL/documents is going to get arrested...prob'ly low.
Exactly! Funny, no one screams racism or discrimination because our laws require a driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle. Yet, despite the fact that non-citizens are required by law to carry proof of legal status AT ALL TIMES, it’s somehow racist to actually enforce that law. Go figure.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,870,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why would he still have been arrested with the proper documentation? No one has to prove that they are a citizen of this country only that they are here legally in this country.
All three had their immigration/citizenship status checked at the jail after being arrested. Only the charge on Muflahi was revealed to be "Obstruction of a Government Operation", not listing what is was for the other two. Be aware that this is the same process (the new Alabama law didn't change any of the steps for this particular case) that a multitude of jails have across the U.S., with either an ICE agent on-staff (large jails) or able to be contracted, to check immigration/citizenship statuses of those arrested.

The common case that will come up is for U.S. citizens to prove their citizenship (by that, they prove their immigration status, and that they do not need to carry a Resident Card)...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I agreed with you up until your last sentence. Accent has nothing to do with it. If you don't have the proper I.D. during lawful contact with the law you probably will be detained.
I can attest to that. My ex has an accent, yet has NEVER been suspected of being here illegally. Perhaps having valid ID is a factor.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Is the guy allowed to have an opinion? I didn't see him complaining when you accused him of being a "pro-illegal" ( which I'm sure he disagrees with). Why is okay for only you to throw labels around?
No, I was called worse yesterday, "Lord of Poo" and asked if I was off my meds...

It rolls off, but can show what some consider allowable behavior...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
All three had their immigration/citizenship status checked at the jail after being arrested. Only the charge on Muflahi was revealed to be "Obstruction of a Government Operation", not listing what is was for the other two. Be aware that this is the same process (the new Alabama law didn't change any of the steps for this particular case) that a multitude of jails have across the U.S., with either an ICE agent on-staff (large jails) or able to be contracted, to check immigration/citizenship statuses of those arrested.

The common case that will come up is for U.S. citizens to prove their citizenship (by that, they prove their immigration status, and that they do not need to carry a Resident Card)...
Why are you continuing to post such nonsense? No one is being required to prove citizenship. Again, post the clause in this or any other immigration law requiring U.S. citizenship to live in ANY state in this country.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please post the clause in the law requiring one to be a U.S. citizen to live in Alabama.
You need to follow the conversation a little closer...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You need to follow the conversation a little closer...
Why is “proving citizenship” a common theme in your posts, if you are not trying to imply that those stopped will be required to prove citizenship? Please explain.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, he would have still been arrested, but would have not been held as an illegal alien. They hauled all three downtown. My question is for the more potentially troubling common case: How did the Yemini that was a U.S. citizen prove his citizenship?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't call law abiding Americans being smeared with inappropriate nasty labels as just an opinion. He however, has made it plain that he is a sympathizer/defender of illegal aliens aka pro-illegal alien. Curious, what label would you put on someone with that kind of mindset? Shall I say pro-amnesty then....what?
Actually no. I'm not "Open Borders Lobby", whatever that means. But when coherent thought fades away enough on this forum where I have an example offered of an American college student killed on a bus in Mexico to prove a point of schoolkids riding the bus across the border, I want to add a little bit more clarity.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:06 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,381,241 times
Quote:

So are you saying they had the proper documents on their person before they were arrested? I know one of them didn't as I read the article. If that is so, then why were they arrested? Again, no one has to prove their citizenship in this country to LE because legal immigrants are not citizens. They do however, have documents to prove that they are in our country legally.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,381,241 times
Quote:
No, I was called worse yesterday, "Lord of Poo" and asked if I was off my meds...

It rolls off, but can show what some consider allowable behavior...
Obviously, it isn't allowed by the mods as that person is not posting today. That's what mods are for. When one feels someone is breaking the TOS you take it up with the mods and they handle it. I don't see the person posting who called whites "rednecks" either. You never complained about that though, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration