Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times

Advertisements

bravo.
when the feds wont do their jobs the state must step in.
when the law breaks the law there is no law.
(billy jack 1972)

Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Maybe you should look up the word nativist in the dictionary. It does not fit opposition to illegal immigration...
In my opinion it does...

Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In my opinion it does...
Why? You are speaking about your fellow citizens for the rule of law you know.

Here let me help you. According to the dictionary this is a nativist:

"the policy of protecting the interests of native inhabitants against those of immigrants"

Note that it doesn't say "illegal" immigrants but plain old immigrants. We are not trying to protect American interests from "immigrants". What's your next move? Calling us xenophobes?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
So you don't fear anything when the Sheriff of that county in Alabama describes the new law as

"[A]nyone who does not have documentation, such as a driver’s license, to verify citizenship status can be arrested, regardless of how he or she looks or talks."

I think there is going to be quite a few more false positives if we are seeing the first this early (while they call him "OTM", he still looks like a Mexican)...
Law enforcement officers throughout this country routinely arrest people under “suspicion” of violating laws, ergo the term “suspect.” If it is determined that they have not committed a crime, they are released, as was this man. Sorry, but that’s the way it works.

Are you suggesting those suspected of violating our immigration laws should not be treated the same as those suspected of violating other laws? If so, please explain.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
So you don't fear anything when the Sheriff of that county in Alabama describes the new law as

"[A]nyone who does not have documentation, such as a driver’s license, to verify citizenship status can be arrested, regardless of how he or she looks or talks."

I think there is going to be quite a few more false positives if we are seeing the first this early (while they call him "OTM", he still looks like a Mexican)...
I don't have a problem with that at all. If there are any false positives it would be directly due to someone not having proper I.D. on them under lawful contact. He wasn't detained based on his looks. You might stop insinuating that and get off the victim mentality bandwagon for Mexicans.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Please. I know plenty of “black” people who look like this guy. Should black people also fear this law?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
1. Had the individual been carrying his green card or VISA documentation as all legal immigrants are instructed to do, then he wouldn't have been arrested nor wasted the courts time.
2. As many have said if you are here legally then producing the proper documentation shouldn't be that big of a problem. In fact it should be no problem at all.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
1. Had the individual been carrying his green card or VISA documentation as all legal immigrants are instructed to do, then he wouldn't have been arrested nor wasted the courts time...
Oh, he would have still been arrested, but would have not been held as an illegal alien. They hauled all three downtown. My question is for the more potentially troubling common case: How did the Yemini that was a U.S. citizen prove his citizenship?

On a side-note, it is amusing how one of the three thought to be an illegal alien (they were all from Yemen) had his potential disposition quickly bonded to Anwar al-Awlaki, the Islamic cleric the U.S. recently nabbed in Yemen (but was ultimately a U.S. citizen)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...2. As many have said if you are here legally then producing the proper documentation shouldn't be that big of a problem. In fact it should be no problem at all.
Except when the documentation really doesn't prove U.S. citizenship, with the burden of proof on the citizen to why they shouldn't be arrested...

Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Oh, he would have still been arrested, but would have not been held as an illegal alien. They hauled all three downtown. My question is for the more potentially troubling common case: How did the Yemini that was a U.S. citizen prove his citizenship?

On a side-note, it is amusing how one of the three thought to be an illegal alien (they were all from Yemen) had his potential disposition quickly bonded to Anwar al-Awlaki, the Islamic cleric the U.S. recently nabbed in Yemen (but was ultimately a U.S. citizen)...

Except when the documentation really doesn't prove U.S. citizenship, with the burden of proof on the citizen to why they shouldn't be arrested...
Why would he still have been arrested with the proper documentation? No one has to prove that they are a citizen of this country only that they are here legally in this country.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Please post the clause in the law requiring one to be a U.S. citizen to live in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.