Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,733 times

Advertisements

its rare overall just to see a White person working in fast food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I don't think that is a good policy. A lot of times people are here legally because they came along with family or maybe they just arrived in our country legally? If I went to another country, say Japan or Brasil, to work or to study and I did not speak Japanese (which I do) or Portuguese, it would bother me that someone thought I was illegally there just because I didn't speak their language.

Put yourself in that position: if you had to go to another country for work or you wanted to move to another country and you did not speak the language yet (France, Germany, etc.), would you want someone assuming you were there undocumented?

Now, understand I don't support illegal immigration at all, but I thought what you said was wrong and the last thing we need to be thinking as we try go after illegal immigration.
First, it's just my opinion.
Second, I am not inforcing immigration laws.
Third, 90% of Hispanics here are illegal.
Fourth, I don't care what you think.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,311,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
First, it's just my opinion.
Second, I am not inforcing immigration laws.
Third, 90% of Hispanics here are illegal.
Fourth, I don't care what you think.
You should care, it will keep you from exercising and spreading your ignorance which the world really doesn't need more of. Also, no, it is NOT just your "opinion." There is no "opinion" in what you said. Also, people's "opinions" are often the root of discrimination which is what you would be doing if you followed your "opinion."

Also, what do you mean by "here?" Ninety percent of Hispanics are illegal where? Do you mean in the US? Your area? Where?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,558,013 times
Default Do you assume the Hispanic Workers at Fast Food are illegal Aliens?

It depends on what part of the country you are talking about. There is a large population of Hispanics in a city named Lawrence close to where I live, maybe some are illegal but at least they are working at McDonalds who starting salary here is now at $9.50 per hour. No bad for today's economy. More power to them. If the legal Hispanic or White or Indian are to lazy or embarrassed to work at McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant no matter what the starting salary is shame on them, it's a job, more than others have that are living in tents instead of the homes they have just lost....

Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
Where I live Illegals are still a minor problem. So no I don't assume that hispanics working fast food resturants are illegals.
What I do know for a fact is that 100% of those who knowingly hire illegals are in fact scumbags. Yes that includes Joe cheapskate who trolls Home Depot parking lots looking for cheap labor.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,470,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Go Gators!

If someone can't speak English,
I assume they are illegal.

Not i , for i do know many hispanics who live in this Country legally, or were born here, and for some idiotic reason do not speak the ENGLISH. Our fault, for not making this a requirement. How can you be here legally or were born here, but do not speak English, does not make sense to me, Thank goodness my Ancestors had brains in their heads, to not only come here for a better life, and become legal citizens, but first things first, they learned the language. How could you be born in this Country, and not know English.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,583,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
It depends on what part of the country you are talking about. There is a large population of Hispanics in a city named Lawrence close to where I live, maybe some are illegal but at least they are working at McDonalds who starting salary here is now at $9.50 per hour. No bad for today's economy. More power to them. If the legal Hispanic or White or Indian are to lazy or embarrassed to work at McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant no matter what the starting salary is shame on them, it's a job, more than others have that are living in tents instead of the homes they have just lost....
U.S. citizens have been working at McDonald’s as long as I can remember; and I am not a member of the under 40 group. Companies employ illegals because they can be exploited. Unlike citizens and legal residents, they don’t pay illegals in accordance with our labor laws. Furthermore, Americans aren’t too lazy or embarrassed to work at McDonald’s. As a matter of fact, I went to a nearby McDonald’s this morning for my son. Funny, I only saw American teenagers and an elderly woman working at that McDonald’s.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,583,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Not i , for i do know many hispanics who live in this Country legally, or were born here, and for some idiotic reason do not speak the ENGLISH. Our fault, for not making this a requirement. How can you be here legally or were born here, but do not speak English, does not make sense to me, Thank goodness my Ancestors had brains in their heads, to not only come here for a better life, and become legal citizens, but first things first, they learned the language. How could you be born in this Country, and not know English.
I read a study which indicated that even at the high school level many Hispanics who were born in this country still require ESL classes. I’m sure having only Spanish spoken at home by their parents is a major factor, particularly among children of illegals.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I read a study which indicated that even at the high school level many Hispanics who were born in this country still require ESL classes. I’m sure having only Spanish spoken at home by their parents is a major factor, particularly among children of illegals.

You have to want to learn. If we didn't have Spanish
written everywhere, they would be forced to learn.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
I don't assume that all Hispanics working at fast food joints are illegals. However, the legal ones get hired over non-hispanics to be able to communicate with the illegals that do work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration