Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,400 times

Advertisements

The popular wisdom is most legal Hispanic immigrants are in full support of all immigrants legal or not. I read many stories in the newspaper about legal Hispanic immigrants who are protesting deportations and laws targeting illegal aliens. The feeling is most legal Hispanics will punish public officals and representatives who try to tighten immigration laws.

Do you think that legal immigrants especially from an Hispanic background are really supportive an open border and support illegal aliens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Not always true:

One Latina gave me a piece of her mind about illegal immigrants-------including Hispanics. Suffice to say she was not pro illegal at all.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
From the website, "You Don't Speak For Me," a coalition of American Hispanic Voices Speaking Out Against Illegal Immigration.

You Don't Speak for Me (http://dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)

(Before the mods decide to censor the statement below, it is from an ad that this organization has placed on their website to be SHARED and circulated.)

"Illegal aliens and their supporters would have you believe that all American Hispanics want open borders, unrestricted immigration and amnesty for law-breakers.

That’s just not true. Most of us do not support illegal immigration. In fact, 85% of Hispanics are against increased immigration of any kind, and 57% want immigration reduced.*

You see, like millions of other American Hispanics, I came to this country the legal way. I waited my turn in line on the other side of the border. I passed
background checks and tests and took an oath to become an American…a loyal American. And like other Americans, I have seen how illegal immigration
depresses wages, takes jobs, and fragments American culture.

Don’t let illegal aliens be rewarded for breaking our laws. America is a great country and it deserves to be respected. Let’s fight this invasion together
today. Tomorrow may be too late."

More...You Don't Speak for Me (http://dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)

Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,171 times
Quote:
Do you think that legal immigrants especially from an Hispanic background are really supportive an open border and support illegal aliens?
The ones I know here are not pro-illegal. After all most legal Hespanic/Mexican descendats who live near me were born and raised here and their families generations before them were also born here.

Illegals are also taking jobs from them. Several that I know have been hurt both physically and financially by illegals. They want them to go home. The ones I know are proud to be Americans. But I'm sure there are many here who are pro-illegal to, I just don't happen to know any of them personally.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
2nd generation here, illegals that work don't bother me. I work in a software company, make great money and I don't mind giving some of that to help my hispanic brothers and sisters or anyone really.

Is it fair Americans have to pay for these people? No it is not.

However, it was American's government that allowed them in, it was Americas companies that hire them, profit off of them, it is Americas banks that give them loans, car dealerships sell them cars, apartments give them leases.
I mean if 9/10 things allow them to stay here, I think that is a good indicator it is Americas fault.

Personally I think there are some negatives, like crime and hospital bills. I think if they are committing crimes after entry, deport them or lock them up. I also think we should bill the Mexican, Guatemala etc.. governments for any costs due to a citizen of their country here.

However, if they are working, not causing problems I would work to make these people citizens that are here now, and then start enforcing the laws. Raids send a very negative message basically placing all of the blame on the illegal. Raids in the news just stir up more hate towards Hispanics.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,171 times
Quote:
I think that is a good indicator it is Americas fault.
Of course it is America's fault, And that makes our country enablers. Don't you get "We the People" are not only angry with the illegals, we are furious at our government and all the other enablers out there who are putting this burden on us.

Of course you get it, you're a tax payer, the burden is on your shoulder's too. Since our Federal Government continues to stab us in the back, it is time for the states to take over and pass more laws like Oklahoma has.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,400 times
Most illegal aliens who are here are working so they are committing a felony by stealing the identity of someone else and using a false social security cumber. What do the legal Hispanics who support the illegal aliens think about someone stealing their identity?

Also I and the government officals I support never invited these illegals in the country. Just because government officals who hopefully will be voted out, let illegals come in does not mean the mistakes of the past can not be eliminated.

I think the main reason legal immigrants would support illegal aliens is they like the idea of America being more ethnically diverse with more people who share their culture and language. In many cases they have friends or relatives who are illegal, so they look at the issue emotionally not logically.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Of course it is America's fault, And that makes our country enablers. Don't you get "We the People" are not only angry with the illegals, we are furious at our government and all the other enablers out there who are putting this burden on us.

Of course you get it, you're a tax payer, the burden is on your shoulder's too. Since our Federal Government continues to stab us in the back, it is time for the states to take over and pass more laws like Oklahoma has.
Well I think the illegals are taking the bulk of the blame.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:10 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
I can't speak for "most" people--of course not. But I'm married to a California Indian lady--partly Hispanic in background ( a few decades ago, Indians in S. Cal. were "considered" Mexicans---for both ethnic and historic reasons). Many of the "in-laws of in-laws" are actually Mexican-Americans, and a few I know actually, at one time, spent some time as "illegals" themselves. Additionally, I have a couple of Mexican-Amercans in my OWN side of the family--
Illegal immigration, in an earlier time, didn't "threaten" anyone, and was basically tolerated. The immigrants kept a low profile. Assimilation was expected of them, and most tried as rapidly as possible to "fit in". Mexican-Americans, as a group, actually had a higher-than average rate of military service.
Today all that's changed. Many Americans idealize a "multicultural society", and feel awkward demanding that anyone "adapt" to the US "norm"---in fact, we are reluctant to even state that we HAVE a culture at all. Assimilation is thus downplayed. This, plus the enormous volume of recent immigration, makes assimilation a low priority. There's a huge new militance among illegals that didn't exist before---angering and "shocking" the American-born people (including the Hispanic-Americans), who see this as the height of ingratitude....
In this atmosphere, a sense of "tribe" is re-emerging. I personally know no Hispanics other than a few young kids, who want anything to do with "Aztlan", etc, but sadly, there is something to racial politics. Somewhere, at some point, a part of the population is going to vote along racial lines. And just now, that's being encouraged...by both parties.

I will say this---many Hispanics, of COURSE, are very hesitant to see the day when we'll all be required to "show ID". Over the years, I myself have witnessed prejudiced behavior that is a painful reminder of how things COULD deteriorate. I've seen plenty of racism on this forum---by angry anti-illegals, as well as angry pro-illegals. The fault lies in our multicultural "experiment". Multiculturalism can only lead to just what it says it is---"multi" cultures. And "multi" cultures means differing "tribes" and conflicting "priorities". When we no longer push assimilation, we downplay the importance of citizenship. More division means more controversy, and less of a common society.

The Hispanics I know all seem uniformly happy to be here. I've never known a really sincere "activist". But the sheer changes in American ideals, and our rapidly-disappearing sense of unity, pose a real challenge. If we could get the "racism" charges out of the "illegal immigration" debate, it would help enormously. But that "race card" will probably always be used, on both sides of the issue-and that's where anger and the racism come into the picture.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Most illegal aliens who are here are working so they are committing a felony by stealing the identity of someone else and using a false social security cumber. What do the legal Hispanics who support the illegal aliens think about someone stealing their identity?

I think the main reason legal immigrants would support illegal aliens is they like the idea of America being more ethnically diverse with more people who share their culture and language. In many cases they have friends or relatives who are illegal, so they look at the issue emotionally not logically.
Many are not stealing identities, many are simply working under the table. No I don't think it is right and we should work to make those that work be able to use their real id.

Of course there is a degree of emotion in this, they are our people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration