Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 AM

90 posts, read 331,997 times

Advertisements

Near my home is a long commercial street where at least 100 Hispanic Day Laborers stand along the street over a mile area and wait for work. On occasion I do have work that they could do, and a neighbor tells me that they will work for very little. Maybe as little as $5.00 an hour cash.

I think of using them but assume that most if not all are illegal aliens and out of principal decided that I would not enable them.

What are your thoughts about using Day Laborers for jobs around your home and yard? Do you assume they are illegal aliens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
Near my home is a long commercial street where at least 100 Hispanic Day Laborers stand along the street over a mile area and wait for work. On occasion I do have work that they could do, and a neighbor tells me that they will work for very little. Maybe as little as $5.00 an hour cash.

I think of using them but assume that most if not all are illegal aliens and out of principal decided that I would not enable them.

What are your thoughts about using Day Laborers for jobs around your home and yard? Do you assume they are illegal aliens?
I would not use day laborers, FOR ANYTHING. I live an apartment so i dont really have much use for them. Even if i had a house, I would either work on it myself or hire a reputable company for roofing, repairs, etc. For yard work, i would pay some kids to do it.

Are they all illegal aliens? I would say maybe 40-50% are and i think i'm being generous with that number.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
If a person is willing to work for $5.00 an hour when the Federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour, it is likely that they are not legally qualified to work in this country. I would never use day laborers unless they were temp workers from a qualified temporary agency (which checks immigration status) like Labor Ready.

In addition to checking immigration status, they guarantee that their workers receive a fair and lawful wage.

I've never been a proponent of indentured servitude or slavery.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,110,243 times
People looking for day labor work where I live work out of day labor staffing agencies like Labor Finders. I have never seen anyone on a street corner or Home Depot pandering for work. Remember you get what you pay for. No gurantees for shoddy work. When you cut corners to save money you usually end up paying more in the long run. Knowingly employing illegals day laborers only contributes to the problem.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
If a person is willing to work for $5.00 an hour when the Federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour, it is likely that they are not legally qualified to work in this country. I would never use day laborers unless they were temp workers from a qualified temporary agency (which checks immigration status) like Labor Ready.

In addition to checking immigration status, they guarantee that their workers receive a fair and lawful wage.

I've never been a proponent of indentured servitude or slavery.
Me either. Everyone deserves to be payed well for a honest days work.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 AM

50,483 posts, read 47,254,503 times
The problem we have here is that there are so many illegals they hire each other. That is the underground economy being spoke about earlier. None of that money is being taxed. It's comforting knowing they don't give back into the system of which they take so much.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM

260 posts, read 657,926 times
Well, my husband is a legal resident (working on his naturalization) and he has done both a while back during some hard times we were going through.

He prefers going to the street corner as opposed to the temp agency.

His reasons
1) He gets paid more for the DAY, not less than the temp agency. He was never paid less/hour than the temp agency and usually more. Plus he was willing and able to put in 12 hours. The temp agency would limit the hours the "employer" could work him. Plus the temp agency takes a percentage off the top of his pay. He was only netting $35-45 for the day being placed by the temp ageny, whereas $50 was the MINIMUM he'd make and often got as much as $100 for the day as a day laborer.

2) He was more likely to get a job that day. Half the time he went to the temp agency, he ended up coming back home because there was no work for him. If he stood on the street, he'd come back home much less often.

So, there are benifits to standing on the street corner/Home Depot parking lot as opposed to going through a temp agency. Though if you are illegal it can be dangerous
Hubby was standing on the corner one day when the INS came in. You could tell instantly who was legal and who wasn't, LOL.

OneAngryTaxPayer: The income tax does not support anything other than the interest on the federal reserve note. The Federal Reserve is as Federeal as Federal Express, i.e., they are a private entity. They loan the money they print with interest. We'd be much better off if we went back to the gold standard and/or congress took back their resposnibility of printing money.

Saying that, yes we do pay our taxes, one would be a fool not too. Even the FBI is afraid of the IRS.

Last edited by YellowHorse; 12-11-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,939,410 times
Amid the U.S. government's acknowledgment of rampant document and benefit fraud, the Federal Reserve is wiring 26,000 Social Security payments every month to Mexicans south of the border.

Officials with the Federal Reserve and Social Security Administration insist payments are not going to illegal aliens but admit they cannot be certain. Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security has launched a new task force to address the "growing" problem of benefit fraud, including in the Social Security Administration.

Jean Tate, spokeswoman for the Federal Reserve, said 26,000 of the 27,000 payments made monthly via the Fed's "Directo a Mexico" service are for Social Security recipients.According to the Federal Reserve, in 2005 the amount of funds transferred to Mexico reached more than $30 billion, up from $16.6 billion in 2004. The remittance market to Mexico has experienced double-digit growth in recent years.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
In all fairness: 30+ years ago in Arlington, Va. (across from Wash DC) there was a spot where the unskilled blue collar Black guys used to hang out for day labor. It was on Lee Hwy about 1/2 mile W of Glebe Rd.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,459,957 times
In SoCal, the Day Laborers I saw at Home Depot were illegals. The reason I know is because most of the same ones were seen living in barns, garages and vacant building not far from my place, which is one community that was taken over by illegals
I found away to stop employer from picking them up..at least in that area.

A group of people, including myself, started going down to Home Depot everyday with cameras and took pictures of illegals climbing into employers trucks, Making sure that the name of that business on the side of the truck,license plates and a picture of the employer was taken, and made sure that those picking up illegals, knew we were taking pictures of them. Then the pictures were sent to local news papers, such as The SUN, The Press Enterprise and LA Times. they were sent to Local Radio Talk show hosts, like "John and Ken" at KFI 640 news radio and also sent to ICE.

Home Depot finally blocked day layborers because it gave them a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration