Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
They came out of the gate with a low MSRP to grab attention. Selling over MSRP has happened numerous times with brand new intros and limited supply. They are just feasting on the suckers going for it, wait a few months and you’ll be able to buy the same vehicle for a lot less.

My problem is Korean auto companies and how they, and their country, conduct business. (And shame on us for letting them get away with it.). I don’t believe in doing business with those who don’t reciprocate.
Last cruise I took, I saw Kias and Hyundai’s everywhere I went. A few decades ago those same countries were all driving Toyota’s. The Koreans took a page from the Japanese and are now talking over the world because they make a lot of car for not a lot of money.
Hate em all you want; but they’re making good products at low prices.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:31 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,936,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Last cruise I took, I saw Kias and Hyundai’s everywhere I went. A few decades ago those same countries were all driving Toyota’s. The Koreans took a page from the Japanese and are now talking over the world because they make a lot of car for not a lot of money.
Hate em all you want; but they’re making good products at low prices.
Well when you have a protected home market to stash profits and get plenty of other financial and non-financial support from your government they can afford to engage in some economic dumping in outside markets. Hyundai and Kia are smart to take advantage of the one-sided benefits they are being given.

Kia, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota make some good products. It's not about that. But you'll never see one of those in my garage. I just refuse to contribute to our country's economic demise and support companies/country's who work against us as opposed to working with us. I will buy American and Euro vehicles - no issues with any companies from those countries as we generally engage in free trade back and forth. The same can't be said of Korea, Japan or China.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well when you have a protected home market to stash profits and get plenty of other financial and non-financial support from your government they can afford to engage in some economic dumping in outside markets. Hyundai and Kia are smart to take advantage of the one-sided benefits they are being given.

Kia, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota make some good products. It's not about that. But you'll never see one of those in my garage. I just refuse to contribute to our country's economic demise and support companies/country's who work against us as opposed to working with us. I will buy American and Euro vehicles - no issues with any companies from those countries as we generally engage in free trade back and forth. The same can't be said of Korea, Japan or China.
The Telluride is built in Georgia.
No need to fake hating the car itself because you have issues with your country’s trade policies.
How many Germans do you see buying American cars?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,266,488 times
This is the 2nd KIA that I like. The K900 is the other one.
There aren't any Hyundais I like. I don't count Genesis as a Hyundai.

These will take the same giant dump all KIA CUVs take.
In a few years well equipped ones will be under $20K.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
The Telluride is built in Georgia.
No need to fake hating the car itself because you have issues with your country’s trade policies.
How many Germans do you see buying American cars?
And the Telluride is filled with foreign parts and all the cash flow goes back to Korea. Gee....that sounds great.

Doesn't change the fact it's a decent SUV but not "gamechanging" as the OP suggests.

So many of you throw out this "well it's built in the US" mantra to justify yourselves. While that is certainly a good thing, it is far from buying a real domestic car that is filled with mostly US parts and where the profits stay home. Don't know why some of you go out of your way to defend foreign companies.

Korea doesn't let anyone do business there. (Including Honda and Toyota, too, this is not an issue of "Well Ford or GM don't make vehicles they want to buy in Korea." Why should we let them do business here? I for one refuse to enable that...

Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
And the Telluride is filled with foreign parts and all the cash flow goes back to Korea. Gee....that sounds great.

Doesn't change the fact it's a decent SUV but not "gamechanging" as the OP suggests.

So many of you throw out this "well it's built in the US" mantra to justify yourselves. While that is certainly a good thing, it is far from buying a real domestic car that is filled with mostly US parts and where the profits stay home. Don't know why some of you go out of your way to defend foreign companies.

Korea doesn't let anyone do business there. (Including Honda and Toyota, too, this is not an issue of "Well Ford or GM don't make vehicles they want to buy in Korea." Why should we let them do business here? I for one refuse to enable that...
So your hangup is with al the robot made small plastic parts that come from Korea while the final assembly plant hires all the US workers.
And you’d rather buy a Ford made in Mexico. Congrats for you.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
So your hangup is with al the robot made small plastic parts that come from Korea while the final assembly plant hires all the US workers.
And you’d rather buy a Ford made in Mexico. Congrats for you.
A Ford in Mexico is still better than buying Korea made in the US.

Even aside from where the profits go and how many more US employees Ford has, people don't seem to understand that for every one final assembly plant there is hundreds of supplier parts plants that feed it.

On average, final assembly is about $2,000 of the cost of a vehicle while material cost can be $15K and up depending on the vehicle. The parts content is way more important.

(And don't let the domestic content percentages fool you, either. That is a whole other story as they are heavily manipulated by subassemblies.)

Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
A Ford in Mexico is still better than buying Korea made in the US.

Even aside from where the profits go and how many more US employees Ford has, people don't seem to understand that for every one final assembly plant there is hundreds of supplier parts plants that feed it.

On average, final assembly is about $2,000 of the cost of a vehicle while material cost can be $15K and up depending on the vehicle. The parts content is way more important.

(And don't let the domestic content percentages fool you, either. That is a whole other story as they are heavily manipulated by subassemblies.)
I’m dying to know your rational for living Mexican Fords. The parts are also made in Mexico.

The Telluride competes with the foreign owned Pilot and Highlander. Buy your logic you have to hate all of them not because of their merits, but because you have some much deeper issues.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The parts are also made in Mexico.

No, they are not. Ford has very few Mexican suppliers. All the Ford's built there have parts delivered there from the US and everywhere else.

Ford's suppliers are about 70% US, 15% Canada and 15% everywhere else. (Mexico is about 1-2%.)

Not even sure why Mexico is even an issue here. All OEM's build in Mexico, Ford is not the only one that has some plants there and Ford is not the leader in Mexico production, either.

https://www.mexico-now.com/index.php...lant-this-year

Last edited by iamweasel; 08-20-2019 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
No, they are not. Ford has very few Mexican suppliers. All the Ford's built there have parts delivered there from the US and everywhere else.

Ford's suppliers are about 70% US, 15% Canada and 15% everywhere else. (Mexico is about 1-2%.)
And you just told me to not trust those percentages. Your radiator hoses are made by a robot. The robot gets paid nothing and it doesn’t matter what nationality the robot is. The bulk of the money for salary’s is in the final assembly plant. That’s why they throw a final assembly plant all the tax breaks.

What percent of the car has to be made here before you artificially like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia