Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2020, 04:32 PM

7,513 posts, read 7,277,394 times

Advertisements

The styling definitely makes head turns every time you see one on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Being in the market right now, it’s hard to discount the Kia’s styling advantage. Which is a big turn around considering historically, Kia would have been the value play at the expense of styling.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:09 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,780,434 times
Quote:
Being in the market right now, it’s hard to discount the Kia’s styling advantage. Which is a big turn around considering historically, Kia would have been the value play at the expense of styling.
the kia is crazy ugly. the hyundai looks 50x better. they really muffed the headlights on the kia.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,387,545 times
Speaking of headlights, Kia should've extended the headlights close to the grille. The gap is annoying.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:11 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,780,434 times
apparently they can't sell them here. they are just sitting on the lots. I saw 6-8 palisades on the lot here, and a small kia dealership had 4 of the tellurides. here's the thing. kia and hyundai are only attractive options when you get that steep discount they normally offer. when you fake a shortage, it'll drive up the demand for the product, for a time. but then everything will get stagnant as they start showing up on lots. now they have a surplus, and they won't be able to get rid of them until they start offering the steep discounts we expect from korean car companies. kinda feel bad for the people who paid at or above MSRP, because a few months into ownership, they are already $10k underwater.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM

5,491 posts, read 6,146,173 times
Palisades are definitely getting ahead of demand around me.

Autotrader shows 119 available within a 50 mile radius and 22 AWD LIMITED versions in the same radius.

Two months ago there were only 12 and 2.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:17 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,451,251 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion. I consistently rep you on other post. However, I have no allegiance to either Kia or Toyota, or anybody. In the end, for me it comes to who sells the most vehicle for the least amount of ownership cost. I’ve done a lot of research on Kia vs Toyota and so far it appears that Toyota charges a premium for resell and reputation which pretty much negates their advantage over Kia’s price point.
Kia doesn’t get better gas mileage and their hybrids are terrible. They don’t break towing records, but there is no denying their prices are better and warranties are attractive. Toyota should be ashamed they only offer a 60k mike powertrain warranty given their reputation. Kia puts their money where their mouth is.

On a personal note, I have to say it’s unhealthy to have such passion in such matters. Let it go and let the free market economy do it’s thing. You never get points for winning and argument on the internet. This essentially an argument in whose vacuum cleaner is the best. Who cares? Kias being popular surely isn’t the worst thing in our lives is it? Surely there is something that deserves more attention.
Their reputation allows them to do this. The better reputation and reality of a car companies reliability, the less warranty they are going to offer. The worse reputation they have, the longer warranty they will offer, reason is they need that warranty to assist in selling their cars which are generally known as junk, even if they are not junk now, they have a large hill to get over.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,949,499 times
Quote:

The objective is total cost of ownership. It doesn’t make sense to pay $50k for a Toyota instead of $40k for a Kia if the Toyota will just hold $5K more of resell.
That's assuming you eventually plan to trade the vehicle in rather than drive it until it hits a mechanical DNR point. The Highlander buyer is highly likely to be a buy and hold buyer; they want to know total cost to get the vehicle to 200K miles (and if it's still running well at that point, it gets passed down to a family member in the next generation). And at this point, the odds seem to be significantly better that the Toyota gets to 200K than the Kia/Hyundai does without requiring very significant repair work.

So while the Venn diagram overlaps enough to have a part of a pool of mid-sized SUV buyers who are looking at both, there's also a good amount of divergence among that group based on different vehicle priorities.

(Me, I'm drive by posting here, and if I was forced to buy a vehicle that size, I'd go with the Ascent)

Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM

Interesting point. Seems they were more after the vertical styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Speaking of headlights, Kia should've extended the headlights close to the grille. The gap is annoying.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:34 PM

Really? OMG, your serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Their reputation allows them to do this. The better reputation and reality of a car companies reliability, the less warranty they are going to offer. The worse reputation they have, the longer warranty they will offer, reason is they need that warranty to assist in selling their cars which are generally known as junk, even if they are not junk now, they have a large hill to get over.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:42 PM

8,600 posts, read 4,852,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the kia is crazy ugly. the hyundai looks 50x better. they really muffed the headlights on the kia.
I put them the other way around. Telluride is a nice-looking ride, presents more expensive than it is. The Palisade just kinda blends in. I see probably 10:1 Kia:Hyundai our in the road. I drive 8-10,000 miles per month, so I see a lot.

That said, I’d rather have a wagon, hatchback, or a minivan than SUV, in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.