Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM

24,474 posts, read 23,174,838 times

Advertisements

Tires make the most difference in better snow handling or in icy conditions. But AWD or 4WD would give a vehicle an edge if both cars had the same tires.
Then there's ground clearance and the driver in deeper snow. I'll never forget driving home in about 8 inches of snow in my FWD sedan that thankfully had very good BF Goodrich all seasons. I passed a big 4WD pickup that skidded and got stuck on a guard rail. Lower ground clearance and he'd have just bumped the rail.
I suspect he had good tires but was also way over confidant in his ability to drive according to conditions. Just like with rain and hydroplaning.
And there's the vehicle itself. As much as I love my KIA Soul most of the year for its reliability and road manners, its just too light up front to plow through snow. Even with better tires( Generals Altimax RT 43s) than the stock Kumhos. But I know that with actual snow tires it would handle better.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 AM

7,513 posts, read 7,272,509 times
https://youtu.be/AdgejPw0-lk

Old 08-28-2019, 05:45 AM

5,486 posts, read 6,138,906 times
Wow! Nice review of the Pallisade. BUT, can you get two wheel drive with aggressive snow tires from the factory, because every single human being on earth will know that's the best setup.

Of course, most married people will be buying it.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 AM

Exactly! Already seeing a number of these on the road.

Congrats to Kia and Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Wow! Nice review of the Pallisade.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,001,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
but back to the original topic. there's nothing game changing about another boring faux SUV with a relatively under powered V6 engine that gets poor fuel economy.
It’s a game changer for Kia. I’ve never heard of Kias selling for over MSRP and selling out of stock before.
Its not the power or gas mileage but the price they’re asking for a well equipped 3 row seating SUV. I can see why people like them.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,766,746 times
I learned on the dedicated Telluride forum that some (not all) Tellurides have a vibration problem at certain speeds, like 62-70 mph. Only the AWD models. If they remove the driveshaft the vibration goes away.
The Palisades also have this.
I hope they will figure it out quickly and replace all the out of balance driveshafts.

The thing I don't understand that even in the AWD models the driveshaft is still turning when the vehicle is on the freeway at higher speeds - under these conditions the Telluride should operate in front wheel drive only.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 7,001,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I learned on the dedicated Telluride forum that some (not all) Tellurides have a vibration problem at certain speeds, like 62-70 mph. Only the AWD models. If they remove the driveshaft the vibration goes away.
I hope they will figure it out quickly and replace all the out of balance driveshafts.

The thing I don't understand that even in the AWD models the driveshaft is still turning when the vehicle is on the freeway at higher speeds - under these conditions the Telluride should operate in front wheel drive only.
It depends on where the drivetrain disconnects at. It could just have a clutch that disconnects in the differential so the driveshaft is still spinning but not turning anything.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 AM

5,486 posts, read 6,138,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

A very interesting development, thanks for the head up. Hyundai/Kia has already bought back at least one of the AWDs through the lemon law, or offered a straight trade for the FWD models. Yet, there has been no publicized fix officially from Hyundai/Kia.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 AM

2,042 posts, read 1,766,746 times
Once they come up with a cure they will do a recall and offer extended warranty on the drive train, maybe 12 year - 120 K miles. It could take 5-6 months to diagnose the issue.
We are on our third Korean car and they were all trouble free.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 PM

Agree completely, just starting to see these on the road and expect a lot more on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It’s a game changer for Kia. I’ve never heard of Kias selling for over MSRP and selling out of stock before.
Its not the power or gas mileage but the price they’re asking for a well equipped 3 row seating SUV. I can see why people like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.