Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 09:45 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,665,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoEGS View Post
Does anyone know when this stretch of Monroe street will return to four lanes? The crane for the underconstruction hotel has been gone for months now, giving plenty of time for them to restore the street to full functionality.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2dVQBSy7cxRREAH17
Believe they still using that lane for exterior work using smaller boom/bucket lifts going on as well as an area to unload materials. So it will still be a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 10:30 AM

652 posts, read 720,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Many, many years ago, not long after the airport opened at the current location, there was non-stop service to Los Angeles for a while. I'm not sure, but United seems to stick in my mind for the airline. I'm not sure why if was ever dropped. I had to go to LA a LOT before I retired because of the aerospace/defense companies there and here. It's good to see that service returning.
I flew TYS-LAX in the late seventies and I recall that we had a stop in HSV. It was United and we went direct to LAX from HSV.

I got to LAX baggage claim and used the courtesy phone to call Hertz to ask how to get there. There was a long pause, and they said I should look across the street. Duh. At the time, all of the rental car agencies were on the airport property on the inside of the horse shoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRiverRat View Post
The day I looked in June, flights were $258 plus they hit you for $24 for selecting a seat and $35 to carry on a 22" rolling bag. Then they only fly Mondays and Fridays.

Spirit Airlines out of Nashville flies for ridiculously low airfares. I saw one day @ $108 round trip. I didn't look at the terms and conditions, But they make the route every day.

The legacy airline flying that route is American Airlines, and it's the flight you see so many movie stars and music people on.
Spirit is the master of add-on fees. I think you would find in general that seats on Breeze will be more comfortable than Spirit. Spirit has 28" of seat pitch which is pretty tight for a four hour + flight. Breeze is 30" on the A220 and 31" on the E195. Breeze also has fewer middle seats on its A220 with the 5 across seating in the main cabin.

Delta also operates non-stop BNA-LAX daily.

Last edited by cooldiver; 02-22-2024 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-22-2024, 12:20 PM

766 posts, read 1,125,703 times
Quote:
Is there matching return service, meaning LAX to HSV? Should take a lot less time going east than going west.

Many, many years ago, not long after the airport opened at the current location, there was non-stop service to Los Angeles for a while. I'm not sure, but United seems to stick in my mind for the airline. I'm not sure why if was ever dropped. I had to go to LA a LOT before I retired because of the aerospace/defense companies there and here. It's good to see that service returning.
Yes, United had nonstop service to and from Los Angeles from 1969 - 1980. I'm old enough to remember flying that route - At the time I flew, the flight began in Greensboro, NC and made a stop at HSV before it continued on to LAX. Because of that routing, the flights weren't totally dependent on having passengers just from the Huntsville area to fill up the plane. Keep in mind that in the late 1970's, the airline hub system wasn't that strong, so passengers were accustomed to one stop service instead of traveling to a large hub to make connections to their respective destinations.

Also, Eastern Airlines had what they called the Space Corridor Service with a flight which departed Seattle, stopped in St. Louis and then Huntsville before continuing to Orlando. So, in the 1970's HSV had nonstops to both St. Louis and Orlando.

However, during the 1980's the airlines changed their service to supplying flights to large hubs where passengers had greater options of reaching their destinations. Delta was probably the first airline to use the hub-based strategy. There were flights from HSV to American's Nashville hub for a period of time during the 1980's an 90's, however, American couldn't compete with Southwest's low fares and ended their hub at BNA.

Now, it's ironic with the Ultra Low Cost Carriers (ULCC) , as well as Southwest, the trend is going back to the earlier times of point-to-point service without passengers having to make connections at large hub airports. If you look at all of the growth of the ULCC's, there are a lot of smaller, often tourist destination, cities who now have nonstop service to large cities (and some midsize cities) because of these airlines who cater exclusively to leisure travelers as they typically fly one flight only two or three days a week. This is a far cry from Delta's ATL hub where one can fly 7 days a week from HSV probably 6 times a day and make connections to almost anywhere you could want to go, but without necessarily getting the super low fares.

Anyway, there have been several low-cost carriers who have provided service at HSV in the past, only to pull out after a couple of years. Breeze has lasted longer than any of the others and they seem to be able to tweak their service to fit the local market - For example, they originally had service to both Charleston and New Orleans, but discontinued service, while adding flights to Tampa, Orlando and Las Vegas and now to Los Angeles. One big advantage Breeze has is that they fly just two days a week, whereas AirTran (which was bought out by Southwest) had service seven days a week, so that's a lot more planes to fill to stay profitable in the Huntsville market.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:37 PM

13,378 posts, read 9,893,563 times
Has construction started on the new Costco store yet?

Old 02-24-2024, 06:08 PM

623 posts, read 545,321 times
Default Construction on Slaughter Road

Can someone tell me what is being built on the west side of Slaughter Road about a half mile or so south of 72? It’s a rather large one story building set back from the road a bit. Thanks

Old 02-25-2024, 06:43 AM

296 posts, read 244,530 times
Quote:
Has construction started on the new Costco store yet?
Lots of site prep, lots of bare dirt. Not sure if they are done with that yet. I suspect they will formally announce it when actual construction gets started.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 8,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Can someone tell me what is being built on the west side of Slaughter Road about a half mile or so south of 72? It’s a rather large one story building set back from the road a bit. Thanks
Senior Assisted Living

Old 02-25-2024, 08:19 PM

51 posts, read 39,977 times
Finally, we get some facade action. Picture taken 02/24, early afternoon.

hIt looks like a nice mashup of art-deco, the international style, and contemporary design, can't wait to see when it all comes together.
Attached Thumbnails
Huntsville/Madison Development News-autograph_facade.jpg  

Old 02-26-2024, 12:03 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,665,042 times
A brief Mid City update from WAFF

Tupelo Honey and Blue Oak BBQ are two new dining options under construction. Nadia Niakossary with RCP Companies said there is still so much more to come, but progress will take patience.

“I think we have at least another 10 years for MidCity, we’re only about 30% done with MidCity right now,” Niakossary said. “What you see out there today doesn’t even scratch the surface on what it will be in 10 years.
As for what’s next, Niakossary said they have three hotels in design and are currently planning their next phase of construction. Once some of the current projects wrap up, they will begin building even more shops and restaurants behind the Orion Amphitheater.

https://www.waff.com/2024/02/26/it-w...city-district/

Old 02-26-2024, 12:22 PM

652 posts, read 720,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
A brief Mid City update from WAFF

Tupelo Honey and Blue Oak BBQ are two new dining options under construction. Nadia Niakossary with RCP Companies said there is still so much more to come, but progress will take patience.

“I think we have at least another 10 years for MidCity, we’re only about 30% done with MidCity right now,” Niakossary said. “What you see out there today doesn’t even scratch the surface on what it will be in 10 years.
As for what’s next, Niakossary said they have three hotels in design and are currently planning their next phase of construction. Once some of the current projects wrap up, they will begin building even more shops and restaurants behind the Orion Amphitheater.

https://www.waff.com/2024/02/26/it-w...city-district/

I wonder if the movie theatre is officially dead, or mostly dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area