Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2022, 05:40 PM

13,350 posts, read 9,884,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Some items in the upcoming city budget

https://www.al.com/news/2022/09/five...23-budget.html

The budget includes $15 million for Huntsville to contribute to the road building projects with more money to be set aside in future budgets. Two of those road projects will enhance traffic flow in and out of Redstone Arsenal. The seven projects:

Highway 72 east from I-565 to Shields Road
Widening Highway 53 in north Madison County from Tauras Drive to Old Railroad Bed Road
Widening I-565 from County Line Road to Wall Triana Highway
Improvements at the I-565/Memorial Parkway interchange
Widening Highway 72 west from Providence Main to County Line Road in both Huntsville and Madison
Resolute Way interchange@ I-565 (just west of Research Park Boulevard) accessing the arsenal
East Arsenal Connector from Sparkman Drive exit to Patton Road
Interesting. Do you know specifically what will be done on Hwy 72 from the end of 565 to Shields Rd?

The Resolute Way project will help considerably if it's the same as we've seen before. The area around that interchange is getting really crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 06:14 PM

50 posts, read 51,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Interesting. Do you know specifically what will be done on Hwy 72 from the end of 565 to Shields Rd?

The Resolute Way project will help considerably if it's the same as we've seen before. The area around that interchange is getting really crowded.
They're supposed to be pitching extending 565 past Shields Rd, at least that was the plan earlier in the year.
https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/hunt...s-program.html

Old 09-18-2022, 06:17 PM

296 posts, read 244,428 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Three Springs. What's the significance?.
Some years ago it was a large mental health facility (large property, peaceful looking), located on Brown's Ferry Road between Balch and County Line. It later became a juvenile facility (medium risk). After that closed down it was purchased by Madison City, plans are to turn it into a community center.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:40 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Quote:

The initial plan was simple combined overpasses at Moores Mill and Shields with controlled access extending to past Ryland Pike and frontage roads. Supposedly funding was secured probably 10 or more years ago but aldot delayed the project. It probably has or will be modified especially with the sharp increase in traffic and developments taking place east of Chapman Mtn.

A plan to upgrade US 72 to interstate status (I-724) from that point to I-24 should be pushed. Nothing indicates such a plan is or will happen just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Some years ago it was a large mental health facility (large property, peaceful looking), located on Brown's Ferry Road between Balch and County Line. It later became a juvenile facility (medium risk). After that closed down it was purchased by Madison City, plans are to turn it into a community center.
Thanks.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
The initial plan was simple combined overpasses at Moores Mill and Shields with controlled access extending to past Ryland Pike and frontage roads. Supposedly funding was secured probably 10 or more years ago but aldot delayed the project. It probably has or will be modified especially with the sharp increase in traffic and developments taking place east of Chapman Mtn.

A plan to upgrade US 72 to interstate status (I-724) from that point to I-24 should be pushed. Nothing indicates such a plan is or will happen just my opinion.
I suspect that unless the city funds the entire thing, ALDOT will continue to "delay" the project.

Agree about 724. Also, from Scottsboro southeastward there needs to be I-something to intersect I-75 30 or 40 miles north of Atlanta. Might do that in another hundred or so years. They'll probably build a freeway from Birmingham to Columbus, GA through Auburn before either of those two are done. And I-16 and I-422, of course.

Also mentioned was improving the Parkway/565 interchange. I'll bet that is changing the rightmost eastbound lane on 565 to an exit only to southbound Parkway. I've seen a drawing to that effect, and if they do that, I think it'll just make matters worse. Adding a dedicated turn lane to 565 doesn't seem feasible because of the bridges.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 11,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcaub View Post
(Madison city) Plans for the Three Springs Site are on slide 12 of the Mayors budget proposal.

https://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentCe...r-2022-?bidId=

Slide 13 shows what the new Kids Kingdom will look like.

Anyone have details/location for the bullet, “3-laning” of Browns Ferry?
Believe this is for the section between County Line Rd and Burgreen Rd (where the roundabout is planned.)

Old 09-19-2022, 08:46 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Quote:
U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Tuscaloosa) will join federal judges and Huntsville officials Monday for the groundbreaking at a new federal courthouse under construction downtown.

The ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m. at the site of the new courthouse at 660 Gallatin St.

The 123,000-square-foot courthouse will replace the current Holmes Avenue courthouse built in 1932 (no it will not be torn down but most likely repurposed into something else).
The new facility will have space for courtrooms and offices for six federal judges and other federal agencies including the U.S. Marshals Service, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services office. The courthouse will also have 26 secured parking spaces underground.
Today
The Governor is also in town for a ribbon cutting.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - Governor Kay Ivey is visiting Huntsville Monday for the grand opening of the WellStone Emergency Services Crisis Center.

Ivey will give brief remarks prior to the ribbon-cutting ceremony and a tour of the facility.

The WellStone Crisis Center will feature 16 beds and 15 recliners and will provide services for people undergoing mental-health or substance-use issues.

Along with Governor Ivey will be Alabama Department of Mental Health Commissioner Kimberly Boswell and the Executive Director of the crisis center, Jeremy Blair.

The ceremony is scheduled to begin at10 a.m.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:39 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,194,743 times
Quote:
Some items in the upcoming city budget

https://www.al.com/news/2022/09/five...23-budget.html

The budget includes $15 million for Huntsville to contribute to the road building projects with more money to be set aside in future budgets. Two of those road projects will enhance traffic flow in and out of Redstone Arsenal. The seven projects:

Highway 72 east from I-565 to Shields Road
Widening Highway 53 in north Madison County from Tauras Drive to Old Railroad Bed Road
Widening I-565 from County Line Road to Wall Triana Highway
Improvements at the I-565/Memorial Parkway interchange
Widening Highway 72 west from Providence Main to County Line Road in both Huntsville and Madison
Resolute Way interchange@ I-565 (just west of Research Park Boulevard) accessing the arsenal
East Arsenal Connector from Sparkman Drive exit to Patton Road
They have already started #2 on the list (widening 53). The new fence compound at 53 and old railroad is complete to store vehicles and equipment for the project. Eventually 53 will be 4 lanes as a NW connector from I65 (Ardmore) to Huntsville.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:11 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,194,743 times
Default Fat tuesdays headed to Bridgestreet

Announcement about new business heading to Huntsville.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/fat...t-town-center/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area