Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 11:22 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times

Advertisements

Previously announced City School's new Central Office and Career Tech Academy

https://www.huntsvillecityschools.or...r-tech-academy

The Huntsville City Council unanimously approved an agreement to donate approximately 14 acres of property to Huntsville City Schools (HCS). The property is located at the intersection of North Memorial Parkway and Max Luther Drive.

In addition to a new central office, HCS also plans to build a new career tech academy at that location.

“We are grateful and we are committed to being good stewards of this gift which will ultimately benefit 23,000 students and this community,” said HCS Superintendent Christie Finley. “At this new center, we will be able to increase student participation, increase partnerships, expand program opportunities, and ultimately help build our workforce here in Huntsville.

As part of the agreement, construction is expected to begin within the next year. The building is tentatively scheduled to be completed by summer 2025 subject to supply chain availability. The district is currently planning to move into the new central office and for students to begin the school year at the new facility during the fall 2025 semester.

They don't mention it here but I believe the two vacant out parcels by the Parkway are for separate retail/hospitality development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 04:05 PM

42 posts, read 53,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
I'm thinking that's a misprint
the original concept drawing only had 1500 sq ft of retail. I will take the extra if its accurate.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:45 PM

13,339 posts, read 9,884,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcaub View Post
The two smallest cities I know of, in the US, that have effective Light Rail are Portland and Sacramento. Both cities have over 500,000 in population, traffic issues that make mass transit attractive and culture that promotes mass transit.
Perhaps even more importantly, both of those cities anchor metros of about 2.5M.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I am a huge fan of riding rail transit, used to ride everyday when I lived in DC. That said, without a central core, and without knowing if or when, or if ever people are going to return to the office… I’m not reside the bang is worth the buck here.
I don't know how Washington ever got along without the Metro. It's a superb, first class system and the last time I was there, it was very safe.

In the District, there basically is nowhere to park, and what you find costs a lot. It's much more practical to ride the Metro.

Maybe it's something in the distant future for Huntsville, but we're too small now and too spread out. We love our cars, and have no trouble parking except in a very few places, and traffic volume isn't a huge problem (primarily because there are no thru Interstates here - it's virtually all local). But if anything ever works, it'll have to be for commuters, not just for folks to go to the grocery.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:51 PM

Video tour of the beautiful new Alabama A&M event center

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=327221107045

Old 09-02-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Video tour of the beautiful new Alabama A&M event center

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=327221107045
Very, very nice. I didn't have the sound on - did it mention the capacity for basketball?

Old 09-02-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Very, very nice. I didn't have the sound on - did it mention the capacity for basketball?
Yes,
The facility will include an arena with a 6,000-person capacity, locker rooms, training rooms, a Hall of Fame honoring former AAMU student athletes, and a kitchen with the capability to provide meals for campus events.

The arena will host sporting events such as basketball and volleyball games, student graduation ceremonies , and other university functions.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:47 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,618,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The minimal bus system we have now isn't really designed for commuters, and it will have to be to work (in my opinion).
Huntsville’s bus system, Orbit, operates Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Are these hours sufficient or is the selection of routes the problem? What needs to be changed to make Huntsville's Orbit more desirable for commuters?
Quote:
Scott Air Force base has a stop on the St. Louis Metro, ID card enabled access to base. What many people did was leave their car on base side lot of the stop during the week, ride the train and cross over and hop in their car to get to work. For a Redstone stop to work you’d need either a similar set up, shuttle buses, Redstone is just too huge, and spread out to make it viable.
You're right. I don't see how that would work with Redstone.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Huntsville’s bus system, Orbit, operates Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Are these hours sufficient or is the selection of routes the problem? What needs to be changed to make Huntsville's Orbit more desirable for commuters?

You're right. I don't see how that would work with Redstone.
Here’s an opportunity to give input
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/huntsvi...ce-operations/

Old 09-04-2022, 08:48 AM

82 posts, read 77,475 times
Kids Kingdom at Dublin Park in Madison has closed for demolition and replacement….

for $750,000 the replacement looks pretty lame in comparison.

News Flash • City of Madison • CivicEngage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area