Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

13,441 posts, read 9,954,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwpurdue View Post
Yeah, could be. Presumably they're sodding with Bermudagrass, which is very close to dormancy this season. In fact, it may not be coming out by next April, depending on when the last freeze might be. It'll probably be overseeded with perennial rye though.

Atlanta's stadium has something called "Seashore Paspalum" so that could be an option for Toyota Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 03:29 PM

13,441 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Maybe a 20 story building? Constellation update, yes I know but who knows.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/cons...big-plans.html

"For the office tower, McLain said plans call for it to be at least 13 floors or perhaps up to 20. Even at 13 floors, it would be the tallest building in the city. McLain said he is already getting inquiries about securing space in the office tower.
"I think we will be able to build as high as the site will allow," he said. "There's not a height limitation in this area. So what I say is the height of the building will be limited by physics and economics – both of which are pretty powerful forces."
The office complex is technically a part of the second phase of the project and McLain said “there’s no reason why they can’t be simultaneous. There’s nothing to stop us from starting those right now.”
A 20-story building would be nice, and if built, would sort of bringing Huntsville out of the "good ole boy" days. It would be impressive, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If that comes to pass, along with something similar in size at the old Coca Cola site, the downtown area will really look nice.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:17 AM

141 posts, read 183,532 times
One of the things my wife and I noticed when visiting a few years ago was that "downtown" seemed to be a little disconnected. By that I mean that it seemed there were pockets of residential areas that were dispersed throughout what appeared to be the downtown area leaving it feeling sort of disjointed. While these neighborhood areas were quite pretty it made everything feel a little jumbled and unorganized. It was our first and only time there so it just may be our perception. Is that changing or are there plans to try and change that? It seems the downtown area is picking up quite a bit of momentum so I would imagine retail and business would overtake those residential areas eventually. Still hoping to come up in December and definitely still "hoping4huntsville" in the long term plans.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
One of the things my wife and I noticed when visiting a few years ago was that "downtown" seemed to be a little disconnected. By that I mean that it seemed there were pockets of residential areas that were dispersed throughout what appeared to be the downtown area leaving it feeling sort of disjointed. While these neighborhood areas were quite pretty it made everything feel a little jumbled and unorganized. It was our first and only time there so it just may be our perception. Is that changing or are there plans to try and change that? It seems the downtown area is picking up quite a bit of momentum so I would imagine retail and business would overtake those residential areas eventually. Still hoping to come up in December and definitely still "hoping4huntsville" in the long term plans.
You are probably referring to the historic districts which are an integral part of downtown and adjoining areas. These areas are protected and won't be changed and is a very unique aspect of the city.
Some of the other areas you may be referring to are some of the government subsidized housing which is slowly being redeveloped.
https://www.huntsville.org/blog/list...ric-districts/
Most major downtown development is occurring south toward the hospital and west toward the Parkway and beyond, using the courthouse square as a reference point.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 5,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
This is going to be exceptionally nice and will be great for downtown.

I wish they'd come up with a way to expand the main arena to 15 or 20K so they could land the really big acts.

Will the new amphitheater, assuming it's built, take music acts away from the VBC? Both would be owned by the city.
Completely agree. I wish they would take that ugly dome off the VBC, expand the VBC to 20k seats, then put a new dome on top. Also wouldn’t mind seeing a big center 4 sided screen, like most arenas have. Lastly, I think all the seats should be replaced. They are very old and uncomfortable.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 5,337 times
Quote:
Maybe a 20 story building? Constellation update, yes I know but who knows.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/cons...big-plans.html

"For the office tower, McLain said plans call for it to be at least 13 floors or perhaps up to 20. Even at 13 floors, it would be the tallest building in the city. McLain said he is already getting inquiries about securing space in the office tower.
"I think we will be able to build as high as the site will allow," he said. "There's not a height limitation in this area. So what I say is the height of the building will be limited by physics and economics – both of which are pretty powerful forces."
The office complex is technically a part of the second phase of the project and McLain said “there’s no reason why they can’t be simultaneous. There’s nothing to stop us from starting those right now.”
20 FLOORS PLEASE!! (Fingers Crossed)

Old 11-01-2019, 10:23 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,898,981 times
I agree we need a larger arena. We don't get any major acts due to the small size of ours. I believe the population here has grown enough it is time to build a new one.

I don't get what everyone's fascination is with ugly tall buildings and why they want one sticking up blocking the view of the mountains and scenery that we have but I wish someone would build one so we can move on to wanting something else. Oh and don't forget a Cheesecake Factory.....need one of those too so everyone will stop complaining although most of us will never step foot in it. lol

Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I agree we need a larger arena. We don't get any major acts due to the small size of ours. I believe the population here has grown enough it is time to build a new one.

I don't get what everyone's fascination is with ugly tall buildings and why they want one sticking up blocking the view of the mountains and scenery that we have but I wish someone would build one so we can move on to wanting something else. Oh and don't forget a Cheesecake Factory.....need one of those too so everyone will stop complaining although most of us will never step foot in it. lol
The city has done extensive studies on the music scene. The new VBC addition about finished has an extensive list of acts booked at the Mars Music Hall.

https://www.vonbrauncenter.com/marsmusic/

Old 11-01-2019, 10:45 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,898,981 times
Quote:
The city has done extensive studies on the music scene. The new VBC addition about finished has an extensive list of acts booked at the Mars Music Hall.

https://www.vonbrauncenter.com/marsmusic/
That extensive list of acts sucks. lol

Old 11-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That extensive list of acts sucks. lol
well there is that issue.
The cost to rebuild the arena would not be justified or even possible at this time. Are there that many shows now that require large arena's? other than the Rolling Stones. The possible planned amphitheater at Mid City will add a nice venue to the scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area