Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 PM

198 posts, read 253,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
^^^Aware of those, I'm just more concerned about Town Madison since I live near there...hence the Louis Breland comment.
With city growth there will always be both. We have 3 Food Halls coming (Stovehouse, CityCentre and MidCity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM

13,522 posts, read 10,012,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero10 View Post
They're doing what Texas has been doing. I've seen numerous spots around Fort Worth and Houston where they just paved the shoulders to add a lane.
Don't you have to have shoulders ... emergency breakdown lanes ... to be an Interstate (not just a freeway, but an Interstate)?

Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,625,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Don't you have to have shoulders ... emergency breakdown lanes ... to be an Interstate (not just a freeway, but an Interstate)?
The new lanes would be added in the free space in the middle next to the central concrete barrier. The outer emergency lanes would not be touched.

Unfortunately where there is a bridge this space is not enough for new lanes.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:15 PM

375 posts, read 520,364 times
Simple solution for the four bridges is too extend the bridge surface across the gap creating a bridge that extends the full width. Crews have done this in Birmingham to expand I-65 north of Birmingham on several occasions over the years. The attached photo shows one of the bridges where the bridge surface was extended to add additional lanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Huntsville/Madison Development News-i65.jpg  

Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 PM

RD - The way they've done road expansion along I-65 and I-59 doesn't really leave an inside emergency lane or shoulder. There is typically only 3-4 feet of space between the divider wall and the inside lane, certainly not enough room to park a vehicle. I wouldn't expect I-565 to look much different than the attached photo showing the inside shoulder on I-65 north of Birmingham.
Attached Thumbnails
Huntsville/Madison Development News-i65-2.jpg  

Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 3,680,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Simple solution for the four bridges is too extend the bridge surface across the gap creating a bridge that extends the full width. Crews have done this in Birmingham to expand I-65 north of Birmingham on several occasions over the years. The attached photo shows one of the bridges where the bridge surface was extended to add additional lanes.
Great analysis and you are probably spot on. They can still add shoulder space as well along most of the route if needed. I expect sometime before next year the gap not mentioned between County Line and Wall Triana will also be added to the expansion it would be an easy fix. The I-65 interchange will basically go untouched other than repave, remark and resign the lanes.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Sounds like a very workable and relatively inexpensive solution. Too bad they didn't build the bridges for future expansion when the roadway was constructed. It's always seemed to me that it was built with an "add-a-lane" capability except for the bridges.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Great analysis and you are probably spot on. They can still add shoulder space as well along most of the route if needed. I expect sometime before next year the gap not mentioned between County Line and Wall Triana will also be added to the expansion it would be an easy fix. The I-65 interchange will basically go untouched other than repave, remark and resign the lanes.
The main problem with that interchange is the southbound 65 to eastbound 565 can be a little dicey. A flyover would be nice but I doubt that's in the cards.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Town Madison question for clarification: On the east end, there are 3 or 4 framed up 4-story buildings that I've assumed are apartments or condos. Is that the case? Nothing has started on the Margaritaville, has it?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Town Madison question for clarification: On the east end, there are 3 or 4 framed up 4-story buildings that I've assumed are apartments or condos. Is that the case? Nothing has started on the Margaritaville, has it?
The buildings that are being constructed on the east side of the development are part of the "The Station" apartments. Work on the Margaritaville Hotel overlooking the stadium hasn't started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area