Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 PM

375 posts, read 520,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, it does indeed. But the changes will have to be to Interstate specs (which are well beyond those of a regular freeway), or lose the Interstate designation.
Not sure I'd look at it as cutting corners but rather using and taking advantage of what's already been built. As I noted this afternoon, the section in Limestone county with the divider is plenty wide enough to support three lanes except where the three bridges are. They can pave a small strip on the outside shoulder to give a little more inside shoulder, but otherwise very little work is required through this section.

The areas requiring more work are the two sections with grass medians. They will have to eat some of that existing median to add a new lane in either direction as there's no real way to squeeze three lanes in. We're not talking about lengthy sections either. The eastern section spans from County Line Road to the on/off ramps for County Line road and the western section covers the area from Limestone Creek apartments to I-65 on ramp.

I for one applaud the state for spending money wisely and efficiently. It's crazy that they were even throwing around numbers like $100 million dollars a year or two back and talking about having to acquire additional ROW. There's plenty of room within the existing corridor to add a third lane in either direction and in the largest section, there's room to add a third lane now (though it would be tight). Anyone questioning the latter point need look no further than the lane shift on the eastbound side at Greenbrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 05:49 AM

3,040 posts, read 3,679,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Not sure I'd look at it as cutting corners but rather using and taking advantage of what's already been built. As I noted this afternoon, the section in Limestone county with the divider is plenty wide enough to support three lanes except where the three bridges are. They can pave a small strip on the outside shoulder to give a little more inside shoulder, but otherwise very little work is required through this section.

The areas requiring more work are the two sections with grass medians. They will have to eat some of that existing median to add a new lane in either direction as there's no real way to squeeze three lanes in. We're not talking about lengthy sections either. The eastern section spans from County Line Road to the on/off ramps for County Line road and the western section covers the area from Limestone Creek apartments to I-65 on ramp.

I for one applaud the state for spending money wisely and efficiently. It's crazy that they were even throwing around numbers like $100 million dollars a year or two back and talking about having to acquire additional ROW. There's plenty of room within the existing corridor to add a third lane in either direction and in the largest section, there's room to add a third lane now (though it would be tight). Anyone questioning the latter point need look no further than the lane shift on the eastbound side at Greenbrier.
yeah it makes you wonder what they were thinking before, most likely the state didn't want to deal with it. While this is a positive development as time goes on there will probably be some concerns that local officials need to question now.
Will there not be any shoulders along this stretch? Any accident, and there will be some, will shut the freeway down for hours.
6 bridges will need expanded, there may be quick construction techniques but these will take the most time and money.
Expand the pinch point across the refuge, basically another bridge, will there be any environmental hold ups or does the existing approvals suffice.
Airport interchange westbound/ eastbound, include it in this as it is just a short stretch to expand lanes to Wall Triana.
Lighting and signing, don't let aldot screw us over on incorrect or insufficient wayfinding, and lighting.
Federal funding? Where are they in all of this? Surely this will be another source of revenue.
The concern is the announced price rough estimate 17 million, sounds too low. At first I thought aldot may have been working on it but now it sounds like they really haven't.
Hope is that Huntsville officials will stay on top of this because when its done the state will not want to hear anymore I-565 issues. If they do it right, (big unknown) then it should satisfy the CURRENT needs.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM

50 posts, read 51,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
Wow, it sounds like they are cutting a few corners. All I can say is make sure you don't sit beside big rigs traveling down that section of interstate. It could be very hazardous to your health.
They're doing what Texas has been doing. I've seen numerous spots around Fort Worth and Houston where they just paved the shoulders to add a lane.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Latest COUNTY ESTIMATES

Alabama's biggest counties based on estimated 2018 populations:

1. Jefferson, 659,300
2. Mobile, 413,757
3. Madison 366,519
4. Montgomery, 225,763
5. Baldwin, 218,022
6. Shelby, 215,707
7. Tuscaloosa, 208,911
8. Lee, 163,941
9. Morgan, 119,089
10. Calhoun, 114,277

Since the last full census in 2010, Baldwin has added an estimated 35,757 people.
Baldwin saw the fastest one-year growth in both raw numbers (5,403 to Madison's 4,854) and percentage (2.54% to Limestone County's 2.23%).

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2019/...opulation.html

Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM

This was announced at Blue Origins groundbreaking earlier, and now official.

NASA announced Wednesday it has signed an agreement to let Blue Origin use Marshall Test Stand 4670 to test its BE-3U and BE-4 rocket engines. The BE-4 has been selected to power United Launch Alliance’s new Vulcan rocket and Blue’s New Glenn rocket.
Blue Origin CEO Bob Smith said. “Through this agreement, we’ll provide for the refurbishment, restoration and modernization of this piece of American history – and bring the sounds of rocket engines firing back to Huntsville.”

https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/its-...untsville.html

Old 04-18-2019, 08:46 AM

METROPOLITAN ESTIMATES 2018

Birmingham- 1,151,801 up 2116 from 2017

Huntsville- 462,693 up 6,952 from 2017

Mobile- 413,757 down 758 from 2017

Montgomery- 373,225 down 817 from 2017

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk#

Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 AM

117 posts, read 320,098 times
Stovehouse is heating up:

https://www.rocketcitynow.com/news/r...z4RNjS869ET9uk

I hope stovehouse will do well, but I have several concerns. I hope the food garden will also have indoor accommodations to support all weather conditions. I can't really sit and eat outside under the sun on a hot day nor cold weather. Also, I hope that foods from new restaurants are highly authentic, especially for ramen.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 AM

271 posts, read 298,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDreamer View Post
Stovehouse is heating up:

https://www.rocketcitynow.com/news/r...z4RNjS869ET9uk

I hope stovehouse will do well, but I have several concerns. I hope the food garden will also have indoor accommodations to support all weather conditions. I can't really sit and eat outside under the sun on a hot day nor cold weather. Also, I hope that foods from new restaurants are highly authentic, especially for ramen.

I'm just happy that the restaurants are new unique to Huntsville concepts instead national chains. (Take note Louis Breland!)

Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM

271 posts, read 298,070 times
^^^Aware of those, I'm just more concerned about Town Madison since I live near there...hence the Louis Breland comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area