Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM

55 posts, read 380,088 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Colorado to somewhere around Houston in a month or so (going out there to look for houses this weekend). How much of our winter stuff should we bring -- winter coats, sweaters, long sleeved shirts, snow boots...I'm thinking we can leave most things except for long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts? Any tips?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM

45 posts, read 391,873 times
You won't need the heavy stuff, but you will need some sweaters and a light jacket. I also wear a leather jacket on the few days it gets cold enough. You also won't need your thermals. I wear mine when I get sick in the winter, but that's more of a personal preferance.

It hasn't snowed in Houston since the 80s, so maybe we're due.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,730,204 times
Not true! It snowed Christmas Eve 2004!

For at least five minutes.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 PM

659 posts, read 1,766,556 times
Default Texans don't do winter

I lived in Omaha Nebraska for several years and Washington DC before that, so I was used to some serious winters - then I moved to Texas.

Don't bother with anything other than long sleeves and a LIGHT jacket - especially in Houston. And be sure the jacket is rain-proof - that will take you farther than a winter coat.

After living up north - the "winters" here are laughable - but Texans sure do think it's the end of the world if the temperature reaches below 32 deg. - so be prepared for the melodrama from the natives when cold weather sets in. They bundle up like they're on a 9 month research mission in the Arctic - it's pretty ridiculous.

BUT - after you've lived here a while - you're blood may thin a little and you'll get so used to the balmy weather - 40 deg. will seem like the end of the world.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,324,793 times
Find a nice place that sells the second hand stuff, you will get some money back. Keep in mind that you might be visiting somewhere really cold in future and you will need it then.

I still have a mohair coat and wool blankets from my time near Boston...I haven't even seen them since they went into the cedar chest...

Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,730,204 times
True, you won't need much. You'll be wearing shorts and flip-flops and drinking margaritas like the natives come December.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM

55 posts, read 380,088 times
Thanks! That should help some of our packing

Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,324,793 times
After having lived near Boston, the times that is snows in Texas are worrying because Texas highway department only has enough salting and sanding equipment to cover the bridges in any given area...

The people don't know how to drive and no one that lives there has snow tires...I did my best to stay out of their way...There are alot of accidents there when this happens.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,607,529 times
Again, the cold weather in Houston is being underestimated...

You will need maybe one thick coat. This past winter/fall season I had a hat, ear muffs, and gloves. It got cold! Granted, you won't be using these things more than two weeks out of the whole year, but to keep from getting sick, a lot of people need those things. Snow is not anything to look forward to, but it's also not something to totally dismiss.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,232,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Again, the cold weather in Houston is being underestimated...

You will need maybe one thick coat. This past winter/fall season I had a hat, ear muffs, and gloves. It got cold! Granted, you won't be using these things more than two weeks out of the whole year, but to keep from getting sick, a lot of people need those things. Snow is not anything to look forward to, but it's also not something to totally dismiss.
So true.... I moved here at the end of Jan. from California and about froze to death. Ok slight exageration. But it was cold for a couple of weeks. My poor kids on the other hand were very cold. They outgrew their winter jackets so we didn't bring them when we moved. Boy were they out of luck. I had to send them to school their first week here with 3 sweatshirts on and long sleeves. Next year I am definately making sure they have a fleece or something heavier just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: