Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 20,528 times

Advertisements

I have read a number of post on here about people wanting to relocate to Houston and asking for advice, and I hate to be repetitive, but so far I haven't seen any post that is close to a situation like mine. So here goes my story: I am a recent graduate (May 2012) with an environmental engineering degree, yet to find an entry level job. I am not really picky about my first engineering job, because I know i have little experience. I have tried really hard finding a job in the North East (ie New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island), but nothing has panned out. I'm tired of the overcrowded and overpriced mega cities of the North East, especially NYC where I currently am. Seeing A LOT of my engineer friends finding a job in Houston and/or Austin and/or Corpus Christi, I'm thinking maybe Texas is the state to target. My first question is:
1) Is the Hiring market for engineers really that great in Houston like everybody says it is? - I've seen and applied to A LOT of job postings in South Texas so to me it seems a good market.
2) I'm attempting to pack up and go. Is relocating to Houston with no job prospect a good idea? Granted i'm not looking for retail/ minimum wage jobs, but one that I can utilize my engineering degree and skills.

PS: I've lived in the caribbean and in South Florida, so intense heat and humidity, been there done that. Also, I know I'll need a car so no need to suggest that.

Thanks everyone for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM

391 posts, read 425,478 times
you have to understand that engineers from all over the country are hearing stories about how great the economy is in Houston and flocking here. As you've probably read on this forum, it doesn't always work out well without specific industry skills or (more importantly) personal/family connections.

No, do not move here without an accepted and signed job offer. The catch is that many employers will not seriously consider out-of-state applicants. The best solution is to acquire a temporary local address and phone number to use in your search and be prepared to fly down to interview on short notice.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 19,777 times
This is one of the top economies in nation. If you were to pick up and move anywhere , Houston or Dallas are your best shots.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,016,612 times
Sounds like you are young and single AND have a car and no family to support - so you can be a bit more of a risk taker and carefree. So in your case, you could give it a shot and come with enough cash to float yourself for "x" amount of months. And come with the mindset that you can't find work within those "x" months that you have a plan B on where to look.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Sounds like you are young and single AND have a car and no family to support - so you can be a bit more of a risk taker and carefree. So in your case, you could give it a shot and come with enough cash to float yourself for "x" amount of months. And come with the mindset that you can't find work within those "x" months that you have a plan B on where to look.
Texas7, you put your finger right on it. So you would say it's a feasible option? Because most people on here keep saying to not come to Houston without a job lined up.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,016,612 times
It's perfectly feasible for a young person who is carefree and can pack up at the drop of a hat. You have no others counting on you for support and you aren't counting on taxpayers to support you. So if you came here with enough money to hold you over (rent, expenses, lifestyle) until you a) found a job or b) decided it was time to pack up and move on due to lack of job - then yes I would say so. You might have to take a not so great job that is beneath your education until you found a job in your field and if you aren't adverse to that, then yes it is perfectly do-able.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

23 posts, read 68,809 times
While looking for permanent employment, don't neglect contract or temp work. Large employment services like a Kelly services may be a good option. A temp service that has a scientific or technical divison maybe helpful in getting your foot in the door. What companies in the Houston area would need the skills of an environmental engineer? Have you checked out their websites for job openings. (even sites like Indeed.com will provide some insight on who is hiring)

I do agree that relocating without a plan is risky, so line up your alternatives before you commit. Looking for a job is a job but that is true about anything that you will do in life. All success to you.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I am currently in New york city doing jobs that are "beneath" my education (put in quote because I don't believe any job is beneath anybody), but competing in this city is terrible for the morale when I see people with phD's working as Starbucks barristers or commissioned sales associates at Macy's (I worked at Macys for a while, and there are A LOT of people with advance degrees). Changing environment and getting a breath of fresh air will be a much needed.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,929 times
Find a job before you move.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
This is one of the top economies in nation. If you were to pick up and move anywhere , Houston or Dallas are your best shots.
I don't buy that
yes it's great, it doesn't mean is great for everybody and all industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston