Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,930 times

Advertisements

Honestly - do the voters in Houston really think that they are demonstrating their place in trendiness?,,,Or, is Houston possibly a little screwed up on occasion?

The new Poet Laureate is at best an amateur poet, though she did author a couple of books.

She and the mayor feel that she will contribute towards focusing on the diversity of the city.

As a European American male - I wonder how inclusive this will be, in light of the fact that her first novel is titled "To the Last Man I Slept With & All the Jerks Just Like Him"?

I really wonder just how she and the mayor view men?

I wonder if the voters in Houston really know who and what they are voting for? (Yes I know she was appointed - by someone Houston voted into office)

They may be 2 wonderful women...But honestly - A Poet Laureate is usually called upon to write a poem (on behalf of the city they represent) - Are we in for a surprise if an occasion arises to honor someone that the new Poet Laureate views as possibly a "....Jerk Just Like Him"

***I read a bit of her book - It is from a women's perspective (on dating/relationships with men). And from what I read - she may associate bad behavior (in men) too broadly. And that is why her choice for the title of the book causes me to question her choice in this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,292 times
Does this city even need a poet laureate? Pfft...
I'm all for supporting the arts, but what is poetry going to bring to the city? And why her? Why couldn't the mayor just hold a poetry contest and may the best poem(s) win?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I really wonder just how she and the mayor view men?
Come on, we already know the answer to that question!
Sounds like two peas in a pod here...

Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Default Who knows?...Maybe she'll perform fairly

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Does this city even need a poet laureate? Pfft...
I'm all for supporting the arts, but what is poetry going to bring to the city? And why her? Why couldn't the mayor just hold a poetry contest and may the best poem(s) win?
I am not sure if she is getting paid...If it's a decent sum of money - Yeah' I'd like a try also...It sound's like one of those "Hey I can sit home today and work in my pajamas" type of jobs.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Well, let's not jump to conclusions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Come on, we already know the answer to that question!
Sounds like two peas in a pod here...
The mayor is open and honest about herself. I can't say that onto itself makes her view men badly.

As for the new Poet Laureate - She's apparently had bad experiences with men. But that itself does not indicate she is of any sexual persuasion.

Perhaps she should take a look at what it is that first attracts her to a guy.

But that's her personal business...The concern of the people in Houston is that she is fair to all. And classifying certain people as "jerks" is something to make a priority to review.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,292 times
The job pays an honorarium of $5k per year. I read more on it and she does have to do things to promote poetry in the city and 'bridge communities' through poetry, not just write poems, so the stipend is justified. But still, not sure we need to promote poetry or how it bridges communities....sounds really fluffy imho.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
I'll take the job. Here's a sample:

There once was a city named Houston,
Texas, it did not need
Now not much quite rhymes with Houston,
but it'd be nice if we could secede

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Hmmm..oh yes funds well spent...a poet !!!

People, please actually vote next time.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
Who cares? I did not even know their was a city poet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: