Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times

Advertisements

Some Houston ghettos rival NYC, Chicago and LA hoods, bet that. Houston hoods have interesting history and culture connected to them, as I'm sure the same can be said for NYC, LA and Chicago hoods. When they were at their worst, hoods like 5th Ward, 3rd Ward, Acres Homes area would have rivaled the most notorious hoods in Chicago, LA and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,390 times
I grew up in 3rd ward when I was younger. We moved to the SE side(Yellowstone and MLK area) and that's where I live for most part of my life. I have seen both places change very much. They aren't as bad as they use to be. But they still have plenty of problems. I moved to the Southmore and 288 area around 20 years old. This place has some horrible spots(Live Oak). But, I have seen them change slightly also, since the condominiums came in. I was also flabbergasted as I saw these incredibly big McMasions and the like being built across the Highway. It cleaned up part of that area very fast. Not many people can live in that area now since it's been "reclaimed" though. I currently live on the West Side of Houston. I like it a lot more. But, even I know not to go below 59. It's horrible over there. I tell people that ask me questions about Houston to look at a map, and anything below 59, just try and stay away. Until you get a feel for the good areas surrounding it. And if you need to drive through go ahead, but just continue to drive and try not to go at dusk, haha.

Last edited by Kenpar; 10-18-2009 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Add more

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,715 times
WOW I am from the Northside and there are some nice homes in 5th ward. So you are all ignorant and prejudice. I would love to see were you all live and how your up bringing was. People came here from Louisiana and many other places to live in houston in the early 60's. There was no sugarland. And 3rd and 5th ward where the areas to live in. How about there where many white people living in these areas then as well. And to state such hatered for a city just move the hell out of Houston; trust we will not miss you!!!! Houstonian for life!!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,487 times
Dude! You resurrected a year old thread just to rant? Why?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM

121 posts, read 240,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
You're in Second Ward. Third Ward is across the freeway from you. The six wards of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Good post though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Thanks, but Eastwood is definitely in Third Ward. Just barely, though.

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/06/02/08/wards.pdf (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Weird. I suppose it is technically, but I don't know anyone who lives over there who considers their hood part of Third Ward. I don't know anyone in Third Ward who considers that part of Third Ward!
yeah its 2nd ward..we wouldnt consider that part 3rd ward and vice versa like u said...people see things in print and take them as 100% truth or fact..

2nd Ward= Eastwood=East End..all the same area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I grew up in 3rd ward when I was younger. We moved to the SE side(Yellowstone and MLK area) and that's where I live for most part of my life. I have seen both places change very much. They aren't as bad as they use to be. But they still have plenty of problems. I moved to the Southmore and 288 area around 20 years old. This place has some horrible spots(Live Oak). But, I have seen them change slightly also, since the condominiums came in. I was also flabbergasted as I saw these incredibly big McMasions and the like being built across the Highway. It cleaned up part of that area very fast. Not many people can live in that area now since it's been "reclaimed" though. I currently live on the West Side of Houston. I like it a lot more. But, even I know not to go below 59. It's horrible over there. I tell people that ask me questions about Houston to look at a map, and anything below 59, just try and stay away. Until you get a feel for the good areas surrounding it. And if you need to drive through go ahead, but just continue to drive and try not to go at dusk, haha.
oh your in Southpark or Sunnyside then...yeah id be careful in those hoods..my cousin lives off mlk and griggs by peck elem. Its still bad..not as bad..but still bad out there..i stopped going to kings.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM

83 posts, read 312,918 times
that incident really happened oil dog.

and yeah kings flea market pretty much got some useless stuff in there other than some bargains on some urban clothes, and bootleg jordans.

Last edited by MikeJone'sBloodyNose; 10-10-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
What about Greenspoint and South Houston?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM

270 posts, read 478,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
The hoods in Houston aren't nearly as bad as other major cities. Well at least not to me. I've seen much worst.
I agree. I've been to all of them here, and they don't raise the hair on my neck like the east coast.

They have lots of apartemnts here,but nothing like real 'projects' that you have out east.

Some truly scary places -that looking back - it's surreal that I lived in and around it.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Man this was a year old ?

Arrrrgghhh. I need to start reading the dates.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycage View Post
Have any of you ever been to NYC or Chicago? How does Houstons hoods look compared to NYC's?
Been to both.

In NYC and Chicago you have to have some street smarts. You don't have to have a history or beef with people for dudes to want to get at you.

There are some gorillaz out east.

Its why I say I've never felt too unsafe here in Houston. Houston is big,yes it has it's crime,but the eat or be eaten train of thought IMO isn't close to cities on the east coast.

The east coast is just a fast,fast,fast pace of life. It's expensive. I mean 1200-1500 a month for a 1bdrm ? Can you imagine what it's like to be poor up there ? It's stressful.......just a very different way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston