Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM

11 posts, read 32,609 times

Advertisements

Hi all-I am looking for some insights. We are 95% sure that when we FINALLY get our house sold that we will be moving to Houston. We are also fairly sure that we will be living in Kingwood, and 100% sure that we will be staying there, at least at first. One of my concerns is that I am used to having shopping and great restaurants right around the corner. I don't get the impression that Kingwood has that much to offer as far as restaurants and there does not seem to be much shopping available- groceries or otherwise. I have heard that the mall on the other side of 59 is kind of scary.
Will I need to go all the way downtown to get to good restaurants and shopping?
If anyone here is familiar with South Florida? Would you say the drive from Kingwood is similar from a drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Aventura?
Also, I am a little shaky about the decision to move because although I was quite impressed with Houston when I visited, everyone seems to raise their brows and say "Houston?!? Why would you go there?" Is there something that I missed? It may not have the water, but at least I found the neighborhoods around Rice to be gorgeous and Kingwood is full of trees and therefore not hard on the eyes....In general I thought it was somewhat similar to South Florida sans water...
Please give me any info you think I might need! BTW, my family is my husband, my 11 year old horse loving daughter and I. We will be trying to work from home or as close as possible depending in part on what territory my husband gets assigned. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM

564 posts, read 2,050,006 times
Kingwood is actually a fairly large area. The area west of US 59--aka The Eastex Freeway--that includes the Deerbrook Mall and the sea of stores and big box retail (and so on) that you're specifically referring to is an area called Humble. To my knowledge, Deerbrook Mall probably isn't much different from the Broward Mall. Not quite on the scale of Pembroke Lakes Mall but a step above the Boynton Beach Mall. The mall in that area that you'll want to avoid is the Greenspoint Mall (think 163rd Street Mall or Westland Mall in northern Miami-Dade County for a general idea).

Kingwood has its enclaves and such along a couple of major roads, including Kingwood Drive and Lake Houston Parkway. You want find the kind of dining that you'd find in south Florida areas like Coconut Grove or along Las Olas but probably a lot of what you'd find in Aventura. Hope that helps.

As for commutes, Kingwood is approximately 21-25 miles from DT Houston, depending on what area of Kingwood you reside. Traffic on the Eastex is actually better than average compared to most Houston freeways (or South Florida freeways) but you can experience some backups on a couple of the main roads leading to/from Kingwood and onto/off the Eastex Freeway. Expect a typical commute to be in the 35-45 minute range. I'd imagine that's probably somewhat inline with a Pompano to Aventura commute, especially when you include the vehiclular gymnastics you sometimes have to pull on US 1.

Hope it helps to give you a better frame of reference.

Minus the number of retirees, I'd more compare Kingwood to some of the western reaches of Boca Raton as well as Coral Springs and Davie.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM

832 posts, read 3,859,600 times
Good response Texas Mac. Building on that, Kingwood actually has a good selection of grocery stores and dining. There is lots to choose from - 4 star french, sushi, vietnamese, mexican, chinese, breakfast, burgers. There are two new bars being built at the new waterfront shoping and dining development. Also, there is the new Rock Wine and Blues night club down West Lake Houston. Deerbrook is decent and not scary. There is a new movie theater complex going up on 1960 in Atascocita.

Regarding Houston, I got similar responses from people from California when I said Houston anout 3 years ago. This has been a good move.

Last edited by BearBranch; 05-07-2008 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,774,185 times
"Houston?!? Why would you go there?"

People here say that about Florida .

For groceries I suggest HEB on Kingwood and Lake Houston I think they have the best stuff personally. Lots of restaurants around Kingwood just sometimes it can be hard to spot all the stuff on a quick driver through because of all the trees. Also Humble is only a short drive away and has a ton of good shopping and places to eat out.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 32,609 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Wow TexasMax you really went out of your way! Thanks! You sound like a Florida transplant yourself. You are more familiar than I am with the malls.

BearBranch- thanks for the input. I will check out the new waterfront when I am there in June.

Chris_ut- you are absolutely right. When you drive through all those trees (that I absolutely love!) you can miss a lot.

Thanks for taking the time all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston