Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,663 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband is considering a transfer to Houston with Caterpillar, which I believe in on the NW side of town, outside the first loop but inside the second. We are a family of five (17, 12, and 4 but the 17 yo will be staying behind in IN to attend college). We have a budget of $400k and realize there are a few options for location, but am wondering how bad the commute would be from Kingwood or if I should rule that out in my home search. Husband has about a 10 minute commute right now and while we realize that his commute would increase with the move, I think he'd be happiest with >30 min (if possible??). With kids in school, that is obviously a huge consideration. Would you tell me what the commute would be like from Kingwood, and if it would be horrible, where would you suggest? Spring, The Woodlands maybe?? I stay at home, so commute not an issue for me, but I don't want to be too far away from shopping and such.

Thanks in advance

Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Kingwood to 290 and Hollister I would never do that commute you might want to check out

Jersey Village
Spring Branch
Oak Forest
Timbergrove Manor
Mission Bend might work if can afford the beltway
Meadows place might work if can afford the beltway

Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmom2IN View Post
Hi there,

My husband is considering a transfer to Houston with Caterpillar, which I believe in on the NW side of town, outside the first loop but inside the second. We are a family of five (17, 12, and 4 but the 17 yo will be staying behind in IN to attend college). We have a budget of $400k and realize there are a few options for location, but am wondering how bad the commute would be from Kingwood or if I should rule that out in my home search. Husband has about a 10 minute commute right now and while we realize that his commute would increase with the move, I think he'd be happiest with >30 min (if possible??). With kids in school, that is obviously a huge consideration. Would you tell me what the commute would be like from Kingwood, and if it would be horrible, where would you suggest? Spring, The Woodlands maybe?? I stay at home, so commute not an issue for me, but I don't want to be too far away from shopping and such.

Thanks in advance

Beth
Kingwood to that location would be murder. DJs suggestions are more in line. Suck it up and don't worry so much about shopping. Your husband deserves more consideration as the provider.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmom2IN View Post
Hi there,

Thanks in advance

Beth

I'll pray for your husband

Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
That commute would be 35 miles at least, and probably 45min - 1 hr + commute at the best. The top 4 in the list above are all within ~10 miles and would have a 15 min-30 min commute most days. There are a few other areas around there that are nice too in zips 77064 north and 77008 south of CAT. If he can have flex hours, even living further out 290 would not be bad if he can avoid the peak traffic hours since it is bad from before 7:00-8:30 or so and 4:00-6:00 in the evenings.

Shopping is good down the beltway from there off I-10 and BW8. Memorial City Mall and CityCentre are probably 20 min or less off peak from most of those areas.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:39 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Why Kingwood?

Like others have said that commute would be hell. The only way would be the Beltway and I've seen the Beltway coming from Kingwood/Humble/etc and it's a straight up parking lot on good days. Add an accident and you may as well be a park for 10 minutes here and there literally.

With your budget definitely Spring. Look around Louetta. You might like The Vintage area. North of that you have Gleannloch Farms which is really nice and fits your budget and it's very family friendly. I'd say at least 50% of the woman are SAHM or work husband's business from home or work from home so you'll make friends with the kids in school.

249 to the Beltway then to 290 and Hollister is very doable. Trust me. I work in Westchase off the Beltway near Westheimer and I've taken every route to work to avoid the Beltway sometimes and I've taken 249 to the Beltway, taken the feeder all the way to 290, crossed under 290 and have taken the feeder all the way in 45 minutes. I've taken 249 to the Beltway, taken the feeder to West Gulf Bank and have taken Gessner all they way up (now this is a very hidden route because after 290 Gessner is very quick.

So him taking 249 to the Beltway to 290 will be fast and if it wants to avoid the parking lot and ridiculously narrow, no shoulders freeway that is 290 he can exit the Beltway and go under 290 and take the feeder along 290 to stop right at Hollister.

I do it daily and am going further. Coming home can be hell though because oddly everyone goes slower. I'm ready to get home but I guess 90% dislike their SO's and kids so they're poking it along to keep from getting home. But I take short cuts. I rarely stay on the Beltway the entire drive both ways.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies! As I said in my OP, I was trying to get clarification on whether Kingwood would be an option in our home search for our potential move. I think I heard the answer loud and clear! I was not married to Kingwood in any way; just saw some nice houses and heard good things about the area. I wanted to get an idea if we should even be considering that area or not. I have never stepped foot in a Houston before, so I appreciate your kindness in helping a stranger try and find her way.

Obviously, my main consideration was my husband's commute time or I wouldn't have even posted. So yes, it's more important than being near shopping. I was just trying to give you some information about what we were looking for in an area. I also appreciate the offer of prayers for my husband; we will take that no matter where we choose to live. . Judging from my brief research of Houston, it looks like commute time will be a major factor of any area, unless of course, we decide to live in the building my husband works. Based on the hours he generally works, that may not be a bad idea.

Thanks again to those who took the time to read my post and graciously respond with some better alternatives.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Kingwood to 290 and Hollister I would never do that commute you might want to check out

Jersey Village
Spring Branch
Oak Forest
Timbergrove Manor
Mission Bend might work if can afford the beltway
Meadows place might work if can afford the beltway
Are these towns or neighborhoods? I'm assuming I can search for these areas on the HAR Website?

Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
Look in 77064 or western 77040, neighborhoods like Jersey Village, Willowbridge, Laurel Creek, Woodwind Lakes, Oak Lake Pointe. Woodwind Lakes is closest, only four miles from CAT, and the furthest, Willowbridge, is less than twice as far. There are currently no active listings in the three 77040 neighborhoods (LC, WWL, and OLP - homes are selling as soon as they hit the market) but spring is coming. You can look at sold homes on HAR or Redfin to get a better idea of the homes in those neighborhoods. I am a WWL resident myself and we love the neighborhood and location, drive past the CAT building every day.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Also check out Fairfield and Bridgeland - both master-planned communities. He will commute on 290 - but he won't be on it long. Second Jersey Village (town), Spring Branch (put area 24 in HAR.com), and zips 77064 and 77040.

On a side note, during the Christmas season, Caterpillar dresses up the big machinery off 290 - like huge Tonka toys with huge red bows. Cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston