Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:13 PM

18 posts, read 59,572 times

Advertisements

Relocating to the Houston area with two small children and both of these areas have been recommended. Both Conroe ISD and Humble ISD look good on paper. Kingwood appears to have the better commute (to downtown) and you get slightly more house for your money. Anyone familiar with both? Why choose The Woodlands over Kingwood when the commute is longer and houses are pricier? Is one area more family-friendly than the other? Is Kingwood an older community with less small children? Any thoughts from the locals would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,361 times
Both nice. Both great schools.

You'll get a lot more house for your money in Kingwood, but you'll also be inside the City of Houston.

The Woodlands has more amenities at this time and IMO they've done a terrific job developing that community. You'll have a higher Homeowners fee which may or may not be replaced by city taxes should The Woodlands incorporate, which almost everyone agrees would be a terrific thing.

If you're commuting to Houston from the Woodlands, keep in mind it takes people who live in the back areas of the community (ie. Alden Bridge, Carlton Woods, Sterling Ridge, etc) nearly 30-minutes to get out of The Woodlands to I-45 where it'll take another 30-45 minutes or longer to get to Downtown.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post

You'll get a lot more house for your money in Kingwood, but you'll also be inside the City of Houston.

The Woodlands has more amenities at this time and IMO they've done a terrific job developing that community. You'll have a higher Homeowners fee which may or may not be replaced by city taxes should The Woodlands incorporate, which almost everyone agrees would be a terrific thing.

If you're commuting to Houston from the Woodlands, keep in mind it takes people who live in the back areas of the community (ie. Alden Bridge, Carlton Woods, Sterling Ridge, etc) nearly 30-minutes to get out of The Woodlands to I-45 where it'll take another 30-45 minutes or longer to get to Downtown.

Good summary Mr. Football. Regarding Kingwood, there are a lot of small children here. Schools are great. The shopping and basic services in Kingwood are solid. The Woodlands mall shopping is better. However, Kingwood is getting more shopping and dining built out like Kings Harbor. The commute to downtown from Kingwood is a lot better the Woodland. Recreation in Kingwood is great, fishing, boat launch, ultimate disk, dog park, parks, trails, nature preserve, golf, etc.

Both areas are close to the same age (Woodlands founded in 1974, Kingwood in 1970)

Old 12-26-2007, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 86,013 times
Either place would be rgeat for kids. The Woodlands really had done a super job though of keeping the neighborhood feel like a neighborhood!!! There is plenty to do all withing your community.
Yes, the commute will stink, but the kiddos will LOVE being North of Houston!!!

Might also think about Tomball/Cypress.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Whatever makes the commuter's life easier. It shouldn't always be about the kids, especially when the two places are completely interchangeable.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM

18 posts, read 59,572 times
Thanks for the info everybody!

Mr. Football: Is living inside the Houston limits considered a negative? Does it hurt home resale?

While I can understand EasilyAmused's point, the kids do factor greatly into the equation. School district is our primary concern, of course, but if Kingwood has a lack of things for young people to do then I'm concerned.

What does The Woodlands offer entertainment-wise that Kingwood does not?

Also, we're noticing that The Woodlands is more connected to the busy west side. What's to the south and east of Kingwood? I don't know anything about the city's east side.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post

Is there really anything wrong with being inside the City of Houston?

I also wish The Woodlands Parkway was a freeway through the Woodlands. It would have made traffic through the area much easier and there is already a semi-stack interchange at I-45.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soasis View Post

Mr. Football: Is living inside the Houston limits considered a negative? Does it hurt home resale?

While I can understand EasilyAmused's point, the kids do factor greatly into the equation. School district is our primary concern, of course, but if Kingwood has a lack of things for young people to do then I'm concerned.

What does The Woodlands offer entertainment-wise that Kingwood does not?

Also, we're noticing that The Woodlands is more connected to the busy west side. What's to the south and east of Kingwood? I don't know anything about the city's east side.
East Houston is mostly blue-collar. A lot of refineries and plants down that way. Southeast Houston is where NASA and Clear Lake are. It is a mix of blue-collar and white-collar. SE Houston overall is nice. Nothing beats West Houston though. That is the nicest side of Houston (from Downtown all the way to Katy).

Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
East of Kingwood is Lake Houston and mostly rural beyond that. To the south is Humble and the IAH airport.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:

Woodlands connected to the west side? If you consider an hour drive "connected," well ok. Its pretty much "connected" to downtown by a freeway via a 30-50 minute drive depending where you live in that burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston