Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
In my tour of the Houston several area malls this weekend (looking for a specific pair of dress shoes). Nice malls, but the people were ghetto.

I started at Memorial City, ghetto.

On to Katy Mills, ghetto.

First Colony, ghetto.

Of course these are all nice areas, which is the point I'm trying to make, for whatever reason, Malls attract the ghettozens of the Houston area. They just kind of walk around aimless and shiftless. A place to loiter and gawk.
No offense, but I don't think you even know what ghetto is. That is freaking crazy.

Willobrook is the most ghetto mall I have ever set foot in (sarcasm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,100 times
Talking Not Even Close

There is no comparison between the 2. Kingwood totally sucks. You are surrounded by meth using rednecks to the north and Ghetto to the south. If you read the local paper crime is rampant in both areas. Going to the local mall unarmed is not advised. It is like a 3rd world country.
The Woodlands has "Bad Traffic" but life expectancy has got to be better.
GO PATS

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,752,452 times
If Memorial City, Katy Mills and First Colony malls are ''ghetto,'' then what would you consider Almeda and Sharpstown malls?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,543,544 times
The Woodlands Mall has got to be one of the most depressing malls I've even been in. Joe vs. The Volcano depressing. And the kids try to be Ghetto, 'cept its more like GetToe.

Katy Mills- I see no point in that place other than Bass Pro Shops.

Memorial City- Their new theater is very nice. You can actually get a nice clean seat in an only 40% full auditorium, and no gangstas in the parking lot.

But if I'm going to shop shop, its the Galleria only. Valet and go. Otherwise all the open air shopping around here works just fine for quick in and outs.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,456,442 times
I've decided I don't like Malls anymore either. I do like The Woodlands setup, but not so much the Mall part.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:34 AM

7 posts, read 40,575 times
New to this posting stuff, so I apologize for the ignorance ahead of time. Couldn't help but make a comment concerning the comparison between the schools everyone was making (I think it was the Kingwood & Woodland schools). I have spent quite a long time reading through the feeds on The Woodlands. Sounds like Mr. Football has lived here awhile and seems to "know" his area.

We moved to The Woodlands in June, 2007, for the sole purpose of the schools. I hate it here. For every reason that everyone has mentioned: traffic, malls, snobby people, bad drivers, HOA fees, people not living in reality, barking dogs, and the fact that I have to check with some yo-ho if I want to cut down a tree in my own stupid back yard, and get a stupid little "warning" notice that my trash can is visible from the street.

I can't wait to move. My daughter now goes to Mitchell. Which I do admit, is a good school. She is excelling, but the teachers are in a vacuum. Her work is mostly independent. She told me that she doesn't know why her L.A. teacher has a white board in her room, b/c she never uses it, b/c she never gets up and actually "teaches".

Now I have to subject her to a junior high that will have over 2000 students for TWO grades?? That is just insane.

Being a teacher, I make these suggestions whenever you are moving - anywhere, not just here. You cannot compare schools until you do your research. Have a clear cut idea of what you are looking for. If your child is heavily into sports, look ahead and consider the Katy ISD. ALL parents should GO to the school and visit, and go when school is in session. They should also check out these two websites:
SchoolMatters - Home and GreatSchools.net
The latter is parents blogging about the particular schools. Hope this helps anyone who reads and is in a quandary about the schools.
(Besides, I just HAD to steer the blog away from the ghetto talk...)

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 AM

93 posts, read 418,787 times
There both nice areas but I do recommend buying in Kingwood. Not only do you get more house for your money but you also have way less traffic on 59 than I45. I live in the area and love it here. If you do look in Kingwood look I suggest you look south of North Park, like from Kingwood dr. to Atascocita area.

-Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston