Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,227,577 times

Advertisements

if your in fbisd you will be sent to schools where they eat porridge all day and you have no desks...you sit on concrete floors

that's the perception out there as folks went and bought the cheapest homes in shadow creek thinking they can live close to where they came from but then enjoy the new luxuries of alvin isd......backfired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
Default Honest Opinion on SCR

I have lived in SCR since 2005. In all honesty, at one time I was really worried about this neighborhood. In the early years there were a number of folks who we later found out were straw buyers for mortgage fraudsters and also a number of people who took out loans they probably didn't qualify for. So some of the neighbors were questionable and there were some homes that sat empty. Then the real estate downturn hit and it seemed like we began experiencing a lot of foreclosures. My husband and I really began thinking we had made a huge mistake moving from the inner-loop to Pearland. But it seems like a turnaround began around 2010. We began seeing more families walking their dogs and kids on the pathways, teens skateboarding, lots of folks picking up kids from daycare in scrubs. The vacant home across the street was picked up by a nice family. Several new big-name R&D companies began building their facilities on Kirby. Housing starts began with a vengeance and we began to see prices in our neighborhood go up and up and up. Something I never thought I'd see, "multiple full-price offers on homes." I know this because we began looking to up-size, homes we were looking at would get snatched up... in days...

So here we are now. Our home has an offer which is 10k over asking and we're on the hunt for a new home. We had several offers and from what I could tell, the folks looking to buy were new to Pearland. One was moving from a townhome in Memorial. The other two were living in the Med Center.

One thing I have always loved about our area is our proximity to the city. I grew up in the city and I'm sorry, I can't live 30 miles away. If I can't live inside the loop (I could but I'd have to live in a tiny older home), then this is where I want to be. Shadow Ridge is one neighborhood we are considering.

The new Shadow Ridge development is indeed zoned to Alvin ISD. For the money, Shadow Ridge is a great option. Newmark builds some very nice homes with options that border on custom. The same home in Shadow Ridge will cost you about 20% more in a neighborhood like Riverstone or Sienna Plantation, for example. What I do like about Shadow Ridge is its proximity to the city. You will also have access to all Shadow SCR amenities and be a part of the Village of Biscayne Bay. You can literally see downtown from Shadow Creek Ranch. Now, in terms of "ambience" it, IMHO, is somewhat lacking. No grand entrances into the neighborhood. No lakes. It was literally an add-on to SCR, but is connected by a greenspace and path to one of SCR and one of its pools. Of course the homes being built there are gorgeous, so that may change once the homes are up, but that is the one thing I don't like about it.

As for schools, I don't know where all the grief about Alvin ISD comes from. I have several friends/neighbors, who are well-educated professionals who have their kids enrolled in our neighborhood schools and all of them are very happy with the education. The schools are big on parent involvement and several of the school board members live in the neighborhood. So you know, Alvin ISD is moving towards a project based curriculum. It's going to be very-hands on for the kids. To learn more about it go to http://bie.org/about/what_pbl]What is PBL? | Project Based Learning | BIE[/url]. It sounds very promising to me, but it has not been implemented in many schools yet so there are "unknowns" as to how effective it will be. AISD is also on this push to design open concept schools. http://www.alvinisd.net/Page/15624

My husband and I have decided to stay here. The area just keeps getting better. A Chinese company has plans to build a City Center at 288 and the Beltway next to Bass Pro. We're getting a Costco. Two new hospitals were just built and there is word we're getting a Pappas restaurant soon. It's suburban living for sure. No Tootsies. No Neimans. Lots of chains. But we do have Killens. Penas Donut is here. Emmas is awesome. Grazia is pretty good too. You can still get a large beautiful home for $350 or less. Schools are good and a brand new high school is also being built. And like I said. It's only 15 miles from downtown Houston and 8 miles from the Med Center. Looking long-term I see a lot of growth for this area. Downstream oil is projected to do pretty well now that oil is down. Many of the engineers that work the refineries in Pasadena, Freeport and Lake Jackson call this area home. The other large group that lives here are in a recession proof industry - medicine. They want nice homes with good schools close to work. What better place than the 288 corridor?

Last edited by MonicaR1980; 02-03-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 8,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar85 View Post
Anybody heard about Newmark homes building 115 homes opposite to shadow creek ranch and is named shadow ridge? The school district is Alvin ISD. It looks promising, but how is the reputation of Newmark homes??
hi there. we signed a contract with newmark homes in shadow creek ranch.
there is only 2 home builder choices down broadway st. newmark and perry.
but if you have the money you can try looking at southern trails. try ashton woods .
we chose newmark because of their incentives. level 2 hardwood floors of your choice (living room. family room. formal dining. kitchen. entry and ext entry. + gas cook top + wall oven and micro wave + and more. heres a link http://newmarkhomes.com/sites/newmar...es/APRIL_1.pdf
and money for closing cost etc.
perry homes doesn't give as much incentive as newmark. dont get me wrong. our first choice was perry homes south lake. but perry increased the price of the home that we want, 2 weeks after our first visit. so we called it off.
if your going to visit their model home in shadow ridge. look for kathryn (sales person). shes great and very helpful.
and ask if you could have a visitors pass to their design center. you can go there and have a look see at all the upgrades they offer and will also theye will give you free estimates on the upgrades.

goodluck

Old 04-27-2015, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 8,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I've been in my Newmark home for 4 months now and haven't had any issues with it. The sales, design and construction process went very smoothly. Sales person was outstanding and really knew the product and where to spend the money and where to pull back. Even gave some great ideas of where to utilize otherwise dead space by putting doors in and other minor changes. House was completed on time, and pretty much all deficiencies as found by my inspector were fixed quickly. House is extremely energy efficient (utility bills are same or less for 3600sq ft as my previous 2004 David Weekly home which was 2200 sq feet).

Hope that helps.
hi. we signed a contract with newmark down in shadowridge pearland. the house is already in its framing stage. we hired a home inspector but only for the 3rd stage of inspection, when the house is done.
i'm doing the inspection of our house with the help of some videos in youtube (foundation, framing etc.)
you said that your inspector found some issues with your home when its being built.
can you please give me a list of the things that he found that needed attention. this will be very helpful to me.

thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston