Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 49,065 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between Perry Homes and Newmark for a new construction @ Riverstone. From what we've seen, (as mentioned in a different thread in this forum), lots of little things are standard in a Perry Home which are optional with NewMark.

Has anyone purchased recently from either of these builders, in Riverstone? Can you share some of the research you might have done in terms of construction quality and negotiation strategies with these two builders.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,156 times
I was looking at their Perry homes today but was surprised by how small the lots are! Are the Newmark homes being built on similar or same 55' lots?

Yes - one of the nice things about Perry is that standard features like granite kitchen counters & ss appliances are upgrades with most other builders.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM

100 posts, read 305,909 times
Not sure on the build quality, but hypothetically if they were the same:

- Check the incentives. (Builders tend to have a set amount of incentives they can apply, but you can't really test the bounds unless you are prepared to sign a purchase agreement.)
- Look at the floorplans available from both builders, and decide which ones you like the most within your budget. (Rate what is most important to you.)
- Look at the standard options are, granite counters, undermount sink, etc. (If you plan to upgrade everything, you may want to see what their upgrading prices are. I've noticed that on builder will charge 5k for tankless water heater, while another is 1k... Whatever you feel is the most bang for your buck in standard options.)
- And see the available lots and decide what suits you the most. (Feng shui anyone? I considered the location with the "least" traffic, no street in the backyard - road noise, the backyard didn't face a setting sun - for bar-b-que, and location where the lot wasn't at the end of a T street, and check to see if they don't have a powerline in your backyard.)

I believe the Perry Homes have higher rating then Newmark. You may want to do search on "builder - problems". Yuh I've been looking at houses for a year, I am in the process of purchasing a second home.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Agree on Perry -- I like the standard upgrades. Homes seem to be built really well, appreciate the Energy Star rating and Tech Shield roofing too.

I'm not as familiar with the other builder.

Does Perry only have the 55' lots in Riverstone? That's too small! I don't get all these tiny lots with some developers. I could understand it maybe within Houston, but in the outer suburbs I don't like it. If you're targeting Sugar Land, you might also look at Telfair and Old Orchard, because I know Perry builds in these too and offers 70' and 80' lots.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Agree on Perry -- I like the standard upgrades. Homes seem to be built really well, appreciate the Energy Star rating and Tech Shield roofing too.

I'm not as familiar with the other builder.

Does Perry only have the 55' lots in Riverstone? That's too small! I don't get all these tiny lots with some developers. I could understand it maybe within Houston, but in the outer suburbs I don't like it. If you're targeting Sugar Land, you might also look at Telfair and Old Orchard, because I know Perry builds in these too and offers 70' and 80' lots.
Yes - Perry only has the 55' lots in Riverstone and I agree - too small for what you're paying IMO, unless a yard isn't that important to you. Right now, they're offering up to 30k (and I thought the guy also said 40k) off of houses currently built.

Sienna Plantation also has 70' & 80' lots with square footage starting at 3k+. The starting price for a 3223sf house on 70' premium lot in Sienna is ~the same as the price for ~2600sf on 55' lot in Riverstone.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
A 55' lot should be a patio home, its a joke that they would sell that as a single family home with a yard.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 49,065 times
Does using a realtor have an impact on the incentives being offered. And also is it true that for the majority of builders the dishwasher and the cooking range are the only two large appliance that are considered 'Standard' (Not an upgrade)?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Using a Realtor does not effect incentives, but they may be able to get you a better price on an inventory. For new built using a realtor doesn't do much for ya unless you just can't negotiate for yourself at all. Some builders, like Village, include all appliances and even a washer and dryer. Most others include everything but the fridge.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
A 55' lot should be a patio home, its a joke that they would sell that as a single family home with a yard.
Interestingly enough, Darling patio homes in Riverstone seem to be on bigger lots than Perry although they are about double the price.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM

8 posts, read 42,744 times
Just recently purchased a Perry home in Creekstone Village in riverstone. Build quality is nice and love the standard upgrades. They are currently offering 30k off homes right now . I went with a realtor on an inventory home and they cut him an extra 5k bonus on top of his commision. We were able to negotiate a little more after the buyers bonus. I'm not sure how much you could do on a new build though. The yards are kind of small and they have started to cheap out on the floor plans. If you check out perry homes in the first section of creekstone, you will notice the houses are much taller than the newer sections. They have lowered ceiling heights in most of their floor plans since it cost more to build. Check out their old model home and you will see what im talking about. It had 14ft entry ceilings and 11ft ceilings throughout the house. The new model home has ceiling heights nothing like that unless you go for a 2 story home with open family rooms. Other than that, its close to to the dogpark(retention pond), playground and the 2nd pool in riverstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston