Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,273,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
True. While there is always a spectrum and you can't always pigeonhole people, to me, politics, since we have a government, plays an important part. Living in a different state can be like living in a different country - e.g. Massachusetts to Texas. You cant think about it one way or in the reverse. It's not to say that you can't enjoy an area if you don't label your self the same as the people there, but rather the characteristics of the people in a certain place have the ability form a certain political, cultural, and economic climate that may/may not be desirable to one.

Edit: What ryan ignores is reasoning. There are also different reasons for why people feel the same way. Just the same as the way there are different reasons why you might think someone's an idiot. So, it's true, you have to be careful painting with a broad brush.
I can certainly vouch for that. Back in MA, my belief in less government, less taxes, less gun control, and responsible government spending made me a conservative. In Texas, my belief in less government, the woman's right to choose, and gay rights makes me a liberal. Yet, I can say my beliefs have always stemmed from one common theme. That being said, I have loved living in both states.

It's all about perception. See how that works? OP: As long as you're not walking down the street smoking dope, while giving the finger to churches on Sunday morning, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM

24,045 posts, read 15,157,834 times
Sounds like most of the C-D posters are idealogical outcasts. There is no place for us in either party. Sounds like we all agree on paying our bills, and keeping private lives private.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,154,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I can certainly vouch for that. Back in MA, my belief in less government, less taxes, less gun control, and responsible government spending made me a conservative. In Texas, my belief in less government, the woman's right to choose, and gay rights makes me a liberal. Yet, I can say my beliefs have always stemmed from one common theme. That being said, I have loved living in both states.

It's all about perception. See how that works? OP: As long as you're not walking down the street smoking dope, while giving the finger to churches on Sunday morning, you'll be fine.
Central MA would be possible, although yes, you're still right, you would stick out.

I do that all the time. Lol :-\

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,061,540 times
Do people really pick their next home or neighborhood based on the political or social beliefs of the neighbors?

I'm a conservative from the Houston area and as long as you keep your grass cut and pay your taxes you're welcome to live next door to me regardless of what you believe or think... or how you vote.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,842,609 times
I spread LIBERAL amounts of icing on my chocolate cake......uh, oh

Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
I won't even vacation in a liberal state, let alone live in one. I choose to support them as little as possible, and the companies that are based out of them as well. It might not mean much on the grand scale, but it's the principal of the matter.
So, you boycott the Oil Companies? They get so many breaks from the government that they don't know what to do with them.

Oil Companies Live on the Government Tit Proving No Free Market Exists. - by EdisonEllis - Newsvine

Quote:
TAX SUBSIDIES

Percentage Depletion Allowance form 700 million to 1 billion per year
Nonconventional Fuel Production Credit of 750 to 1 billion
Exploration and development costs 200 to 255 million
Enhanced oil recovery credit 25 to 100 million
Foreign tax credits 1 to 3.5 billion
Foreign income deferrals 183 to 320 billion
Accelerated depreciation 1 to 5 billion
This is just federal and doesn't include state tax subsidies.

PROGRAM SUBSIDIES

38 to 114 billion each year supporting the extraction, production, etc.
36 to 112 billion each year for things like repair, maintenance of roads and bridges.
Research and development 200 to 220 million
Army Corps of Engineers support 250 to 270 million
Government expenditures on regulatory oversight, pollution clean up and liability costs 1 to 1.5 billion
Dept. of Interior's Oil Resources Management Programs 97 to 227 million

Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 PM

766 posts, read 1,257,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
I won't even vacation in a liberal state, let alone live in one. I choose to support them as little as possible, and the companies that are based out of them as well. It might not mean much on the grand scale, but it's the principal of the matter.
So when Texas turns blue within the next decade will you still be here?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,273,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Central MA would be possible, although yes, you're still right, you would stick out.

I do that all the time. Lol :-\
LOL -- even in Communist Cambridge you would stick out, although a few Harvard kids might want to join in. Seriously though, I don't think the OP will have any problems fitting in whether it be Cypress, Katy, The Woodlands, Pearland, Sugar Land, etc. These areas are highly educated areas with a lot of transplants. Being liberal there would not be such a big deal. If they were in some hick town out in E Texas, that would be a different story.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM

96 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So, you boycott the Oil Companies? They get so many breaks from the government that they don't know what to do with them.

The oil industry is one of the most conservative industries around. Both by ownership and workers. Nice try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
So when Texas turns blue within the next decade will you still be here?
Most likely not, already making plans to move to Tenn or Oklahoma soon. I was born and raised in the Houston area and to see it be degraded by Mexicans and liberals that destroyed whatever state/country they came from is just too depressing.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,184,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
That's weird. I know my neighbors on both sides to the point of joining in the back yard for a beer or glass of wine - for about 5+ years - and have no idea how either voted, what religion (if any), if they own a gun, etc.

I know about some long-term friends on both sides of all issues (I find most are center) - but it's from 20 years or more of exposure. It's rare I know how my clients vote, etc. - but we will talk about all sorts of things.

It just seems like people avoid all subjects where there MIGHT be disageeance. At least that's what I have found.

Had an interesting day a few months back. I had a REAL liberal (always thought I was - come to find out, I have a long way to go) in my car with me for several hours. That's why I think most fall into that big middle - I am no more like that person than one who is extreme right. That's why labels are useless.

I don't think I would like your neighbors. My opinions are mine - and I try never to shove them out there - and it seems like most I come into contact with do the same. I always thought it was because, no matter what they call themselves, most are really close to center.

Now, I did have to do a Facebook scrubbing - obnoxious & pushy was showing up way too frequently. They did seem (like what you experienced in real life) to assume that their extreme views were mainstream. Unfortunately, some of the scrubees were relatives and are mad about it.
I guess when I say "Neighbors" I mean people I come in contact with in my neighborhood. I hear people making pretty strong statements like:

"Before Obama comes to get my guns"
"Since those lazy moochers are buying lobster on food stamps"
"If it weren't for all the illegals making our healthcare costs so high"

just from random people at the gas station, laundry, etc.

People from Houston (and Texas in general) are much friendlier and more open to strangers...but that also means they let their hair down and their true feelings out way more than folks from somewhere like the Northeast. I don't know if that means they are really more bigoted or just more honest about it.

That said- I didn't think I was very far left at all--until I came to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston