Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,890 times

Advertisements

We are headed down next week for a "house hunting" trip but thought I'd reach out to hear some opinions. Husband got an assignment in Energy Corridor, but will eventually (2-3 years) be in the Woodlands, and then we are back to NJ. We've therefore decided on Cypress area to split the distances.

Our budget is <250,000. Concerns are a safe family friendly neighborhood, schools (3 and a 1 year old kids), nice neighborhood amenities, convenient shopping.

So far, seems like we're leaning towards Coles Crossing or Bridgeland or Cypress Creek Lakes. Fairfield has nice houses with great schools, but may increase his commute time since its a little farther west? We also have some houses in Canyon Lakes on our list, but schools don't seem as good?

Just soliciting opinions on these developments. Also would like to know if we're missing some good ones? Don't want to waste our time while we're down there since we don't have much.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM

222 posts, read 720,737 times
If you want to split the difference, you might tryto find something along the beltway 8 (such as winchester village). the beltway 8 ties into I-10 (energy corridor) and I-45 (to woodlands). The commute from Cypress to the energy corridor is probably 45 minutes from the places you listed. To the woodlands might be longer. In theory it may look to be in the "middle", but how will you commute to the woodlands? down 290 to beltway 8, then across to i45? Or a more direct route involving stoplights? maybe someone on here actually makes that commute from cypress to the woodlands and can talk about the best way to do it. I work in the energy corridor and have several colleague that live in woodlands and make the 45 mile one way commute every day. Of course they leave really early morning/evening to avoid rush hour and they complain about the commute all the time. But it can be done and he will be very happy when he ultimately works in the woodlands. if you do decide to live in the woodlands, try to live close to i-45 as possible. some places in the woodlands take 15 minutes just to get to I-45.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM

967 posts, read 2,612,721 times
Of those, I think Coles Crossing is the best neighborhood. Fairfield is too far for what you are looking for, Bridgeland and Cypress Creek lakes are still building, so you won't recoup your $$ when you resell in a few short years. And you can afford more that what Canyon Lakes had to offer.

Coles Crossing is beautiful, built out, and full of family activites and zoned to great schools. Of those that is what I would pick

Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,561 times
I agree with mpgerma above, to split the difference you probably want to be closer to the beltway. Look on HAR for Winchester, Laurel Creek, Woodwind Lakes. Gleason is a very desirable elementary school in Cy-Fair, I've also heard good things about Bang. Cook is a fine, solid middle school but it looks like you will be back in NJ before then.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM

127 posts, read 400,796 times
if you are going to pick a home from those three, just go and look for yourself. All three of them are nice in my opinion, just in a different way.
Between Bridgeland and Cross Creek Lakes, Cross Creek Lakes has lower tax rate and house are lower pricing too when buying the same floor plan from a builder. Of course Bridgeland has more amenities and neighborhood activities vs CCL. I like Bridgeland more overall though, Bridgeland seems more unique vs CCL. As for Cole Crossing, I like the fact that it is near a HEB grocery store.
Another subdivision that is popular over there also is Towne Lake, seems to have good potential. Although it's a bit newer and might be at the top of your budget.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,877 times
Also add Willowbridge & Stonebridge to your list. It is a great area in your price range, 170's - 280s. Homes are 10-20 yrs old, but are well maintained and most for sale are updated or priced accordingly. We are 1 mile from the beltway off West Rd and it would be an easier commute since you would be cutting off all of the Hwy 290 traffic and only have the beltway to deal with. It can take 20-30 min just to get to the beltway from the Bridgeland/ Cypress Creek lake area at rush hour. We don't have all the fancy ammenities you get further out, but we do have shopping, (10 min to the mall) good schools, nature areas, duck ponds, etc. But do check on the schools. Gleason and Bang are great, Wilbern and the others around us are OK, but we would prefer the other two.

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,871,655 times
Cole's Crossing is the best out of your choices. Great community and great schools. mpgerma is wrong. No way would it take 45 minutes to get from Coles Crossing to the Energy Corridor. I grew up in Cypress and the commute would be more like 20-30 minutes. You can take 290 to Eldridge or 290 to Barker Cypress and head south to I-10. As for the commute to the Woodlands I would avoid 290 and the beltway and instead take Spring-Cypress to I-45 and go north to the Woodlands. Now that may take you 30-40 minutes. Avoid moving close to the beltway. The communities closer to the beltway are less desirable and the schools start to decline as well.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM

114 posts, read 225,277 times
Coles is great, but if I were you, I'd look at towne lake, you can just go south on barker cypress and its only 7 miles to I-10. They have Rennell elementary that's in the neighborhood and is brand new with land reserved to build a middle school. If you could get a good lot, resale will be easy

Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 AM

114 posts, read 225,277 times
didn't see that you'll be in the woodlands, so maybe not, and the budget too

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM

127 posts, read 400,796 times
Well I wouldn't say to not look at Towne lake as it's not really that far from Cole Crossing, Cypress Creek Lake etc. I think if the OP is considering Cypress area then the more master plan community choices the better. The only thing is if he/she decide to look at Towne Lake at >250k he'll have less choice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston