Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,272,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Meanwhile, back on Earth, democrats are trying to make sensible and pragmatic changes that republicans dislike just because these ideas are promulgated by the Obama administration.
Stop watching TV - Obama's changes are not reasonable...they are straight out of left field.

Quote:
Commonsense gun control - universal background checks, assault weapons restrictions. Republicans want to arm the teachers? Really? Who has the knee jerk reaction?
His changes are not common sense. 1) There are already background checks for any gun purchase from a dealer - the only way to buy a gun without a background check is from another individual who already owns it...how are you going to regulate that? You cant! 2) There is no such thing as an assault weapon - media made that term up - its a semi-automatic rifle - and its not any more dangerous than a pistol...3) The only way to stop a person with a gun is to have one yourself - if you are fine waiting for the cops to save you a half hour later fine - Im not...that is not paranoid.

Quote:
Global warming is real. Even Fox admits that finally. Democrats want environmental regulations that are based on science, not politics.
Agreed - but its not man made. There is no neutral consensus, and every single theory has huge holes in it.

Quote:
Making economic decisions that truly help the middle class, the sick and the elderly. Republicans want to cut funding to these programs. Let's just throw the poor people and grandma under the bus.
Obama is not trying to help the middle class - he is trying to make a dependent class. If you can't see that I can't help you. The more the government forces you to depend on them, the more they can control you. Look at the ones with all the exemptions and all the money - they are controling the government and doing just fine - look at the poor folks - they are controlled by the government. Vote for me - or less food stamps, vote for me - or no free cell phone, vote for me - or you have to pay for your own health care. Democrats are not offering a hand up - they are making it impossible to get out.

Quote:
I don't know what to say about the blanket statement "Conservatives are naturally independent". That's like saying cars are naturally blue.
Its a blanket statement that is proven out time and time again...look at Katrina, Sandy, and so many other natural disasters - look at the democrat controlled areas and all the help they need, and then look at the more rural conservative areas, and how they recovered on their own without help. After Ike I drove all around - guess which parts of town were doing things for themselves, and which parts waited for the government to help them? I was on the only person on my whole block that even owned a chainsaw or a generator, I was the only one with plenty of gas, and I was the only one with power for 9 days - I live in the Heights and Im not a liberal - but all my neighbors are.

Quote:
"Most of those folks stockpiling food/ammo are also living well inside of their means, and are not heavily leveraged with debt". Was there a random sampling of folks asking if they're hoarding ravioli and bullets and whether they've maxed their credit cards? This just doesn't make sense on its face.
Its a mindset. People who prepare for the worst, generally prepare for all worst case scenarios. That includes debt

Quote:
And it's "you're" not "your".
I need not bother spell checking everything as I go...its a web forum - grammatical mistakes are common and understood to be common. This is not being graded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,815,495 times
Circular reasoning works every time. I'm moving on.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
I was just going to ask why would any sane person admit they were a sick liberal on a public forum. Then I looked at his profile and saw after he posted that nearly 24 hours ago he never returned to see our answers. I guess I'd hide too.

Probably because his internet was cut off for non payment because Dopobamba is taking more and more of his paycheck.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,660,651 times
That's right, arm the teachers and make it legal for them to shoot riotous, ethnic urban youth whenever they try to assault teachers (this is common...ive seen it on the news).

Poor people dont need help. Were your parents not rich enough to pay for four years at a university right when you got out of highschool? Sorry, chum, but that means you are a disgusting piece of filth and you do not deserve any money from MY taxes. We should make colonies for these people and let them all kill eachother (this will give us a chance to cover the entire city with lofts and townhomes).

And to hell with your grandma. If she didnt earn enough to save up for retirement then she should be on the streets, dressed in rags, crying and begging for money just like the old folks in Russia, China, and Mexico. THAT is the sign of a powerful, comfortable civilization!

...and I can buy all sorts of badass guns in those countries! Imagine how fckin hot I would look holding an RPG or a Kalishnikov or somethin?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41
Obama is not trying to help the middle class - he is trying to make a dependent class. If you can't see that I can't help you. The more the government forces you to depend on them, the more they can control you. Look at the ones with all the exemptions and all the money - they are controling the government and doing just fine - look at the poor folks - they are controlled by the government. Vote for me - or less food stamps, vote for me - or no free cell phone, vote for me - or you have to pay for your own health care. Democrats are not offering a hand up - they are making it impossible to get out.
No desire to get into a full argument honestly, but this does bother me. Food stamps aren't just some handout to keep people voting for you. Welfare isn't just to keep up popular support, or to trick people into becoming dependent off it.

Welfare exists because the Great Depression ****ing sucked, and the American government wanted to do everything that it could so that in future recessions people who find themselves out of a job don't starve. Welfare doesn't make the economy any stronger, but it makes sure that when things get to their absolute worst people won't suffer for it. Remember, Coolidge and Hoover both shared the same views; they were both very fiscally conservative. Yet Hoover was hated, while Coolidge was well-liked and later considered a bit of a role model to Reagan. They had the exact same policies; they were both strong believers in laissez-faire. Under Coolidge, it worked wonders; the economy boomed, and his popularity led to Hoover's victory. But economies go in cycles, and once the economy went down the toilet people began to suffer. There were no jobs and no protections for the unemployed; shantytowns spread throughout the country as families lost their homes. Starvation became widespread. Hoover stuck to his guns, stating that the best way to fix the economy is to let it fix itself - but in the meantime, Americans lived in what would now be considered third-world conditions. Because of this, the next election was one of the greatest landslide victories in American history, leading into Roosevelt's presidency. Under his administration the economy didn't right itself immediately, but the shantytowns were cleared up. Public housing was built. Hunger became less of an issue. It didn't fix the economy necessarily, but that's not what mattered. That's something I feel many people don't understand; maintaining a decent quality of life is far more important than the economy. A high GDP means nothing if you can't eat.

Just know that taking away welfare doesn't make people more independent. It doesn't make them work harder, and it doesn't improve the economy to any real degree. Americans without money need government assistance not because they are useless parasites plaguing this country but because they don't have money. Take it away and they'll just starve out, as they have in the past. This isn't because they're useless slackers who are unwilling to work, this is because they don't have enough money to pay for the basic necessities of life. Many of them do work, but don't make enough to support their families. Many are working off heavy debts, but in the meantime don't have enough to survive. Many are simply unhireable, or are stuck in places too poor for businesses to survive. That's just how poverty is, and how poverty always has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I was just going to ask why would any sane person admit they were a sick liberal on a public forum. Then I looked at his profile and saw after he posted that nearly 24 hours ago he never returned to see our answers. I guess I'd hide too.

Probably because his internet was cut off for non payment because Dopobamba is taking more and more of his paycheck.
Hello! I'm a perfectly healthy liberal, though I wouldn't be saying so were I ill!

Would it help you change your views if I told you that conservatives are stubborn idiots who rely on blanket statements to prop up their useless beliefs? No? Huh. It must be because your internet was cut out for non-payment because your employer realized that you're not competent enough to work above minimal wage. Hah! Sure showed you. Bet you'll be voting straight-line Democrat from this point on!

Please, stop trying to use stereotypes as an argument. Stop saying liberal like it's a dirty word. It accomplishes nothing; it only makes you look hostile and out of touch. It's fine to disagree with Democrats. Hell, it's even fine to argue with them! Just don't demonize them because they don't share your views. I'm not saying this because of ~liberal emotions~. I'm saying this because you are making yourself look like a desperate fool.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM

498 posts, read 838,699 times
OP's first post seems suspicious.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,815,495 times
John Frum, thanks for your thoughtful post.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frum View Post
No desire to get into a full argument honestly, but this does bother me. Food stamps aren't just some handout to keep people voting for you. Welfare isn't just to keep up popular support, or to trick people into becoming dependent off it.

Welfare exists because the Great Depression ****ing sucked, and the American government wanted to do everything that it could so that in future recessions people who find themselves out of a job don't starve. Welfare doesn't make the economy any stronger, but it makes sure that when things get to their absolute worst people won't suffer for it. Remember, Coolidge and Hoover both shared the same views; they were both very fiscally conservative. Yet Hoover was hated, while Coolidge was well-liked and later considered a bit of a role model to Reagan. They had the exact same policies; they were both strong believers in laissez-faire. Under Coolidge, it worked wonders; the economy boomed, and his popularity led to Hoover's victory. But economies go in cycles, and once the economy went down the toilet people began to suffer. There were no jobs and no protections for the unemployed; shantytowns spread throughout the country as families lost their homes. Starvation became widespread. Hoover stuck to his guns, stating that the best way to fix the economy is to let it fix itself - but in the meantime, Americans lived in what would now be considered third-world conditions. Because of this, the next election was one of the greatest landslide victories in American history, leading into Roosevelt's presidency. Under his administration the economy didn't right itself immediately, but the shantytowns were cleared up. Public housing was built. Hunger became less of an issue. It didn't fix the economy necessarily, but that's not what mattered. That's something I feel many people don't understand; maintaining a decent quality of life is far more important than the economy. A high GDP means nothing if you can't eat.

Just know that taking away welfare doesn't make people more independent. It doesn't make them work harder, and it doesn't improve the economy to any real degree. Americans without money need government assistance not because they are useless parasites plaguing this country but because they don't have money. Take it away and they'll just starve out, as they have in the past. This isn't because they're useless slackers who are unwilling to work, this is because they don't have enough money to pay for the basic necessities of life. Many of them do work, but don't make enough to support their families. Many are working off heavy debts, but in the meantime don't have enough to survive. Many are simply unhireable, or are stuck in places too poor for businesses to survive. That's just how poverty is, and how poverty always has been.

Hello! I'm a perfectly healthy liberal, though I wouldn't be saying so were I ill!

Would it help you change your views if I told you that conservatives are stubborn idiots who rely on blanket statements to prop up their useless beliefs? No? Huh. It must be because your internet was cut out for non-payment because your employer realized that you're not competent enough to work above minimal wage. Hah! Sure showed you. Bet you'll be voting straight-line Democrat from this point on!

Please, stop trying to use stereotypes as an argument. Stop saying liberal like it's a dirty word. It accomplishes nothing; it only makes you look hostile and out of touch. It's fine to disagree with Democrats. Hell, it's even fine to argue with them! Just don't demonize them because they don't share your views. I'm not saying this because of ~liberal emotions~. I'm saying this because you are making yourself look like a desperate fool.
One hit one post SPAMer. You quoted me on that first part but I didn't even write it.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
One hit one post SPAMer. You quoted me on that first part but I didn't even write it.
Oh, sorry about that. I meant to address marksmu. I would fix it were I able to edit it.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,183,515 times
I live in Cypress. I am married with kids. We both work and have excellent credit scores. We pay our bills on time and don't expect any help from anyone.
However, I am also a Democrat and it seems in Cypress and MOST of Texas that means "Obummer-loving Librul"
I rarely share my political views in my neighborhood.

(That being said- we still love it here. I just wish the thinking wasn't so black and white.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston