Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM

24,055 posts, read 15,168,475 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding. Liberal? Texas? See Marksmu.

Check out inside the loop. Over by St. Thomas University. Most of the burbs have all kinds of people and all kinds of families. My tiny little subdivision has mixed race families, gay and straight families, old and young families, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu and atheist, and all races. That's Houston. We vote at least 75% Republican. The liberal ladies meet monthly for wine and conversation. The Mormon Liberal lady sins and has a coke.

When I was involved in political stuff, the only difference between conservatives and liberals in Texas is that liberals thought minorities should have the right to vote. Not much has changed.

Just because Houston has a lesbian mayor does mean Houston is liberal. She may convey that she is a Democrat, but she did not support the Democratic candidate for governor and almost actively campaigned against him. Anybody paying
attention can see she is a supporter of the establishment, hence the status quo.

The Tea Party controls Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,662,423 times
What you want to do is find the neighborhood with the highest percentage of white families, European cars, and the most churches per capita. Look around for ethnic food...if it is Americanized or "fusion" then you are OK but any taqueria or "real" Asian places...RUN!

Last edited by glorplaxy; 03-06-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM

832 posts, read 1,734,914 times
Since you work from home, why not look at Sugar Land instead (if you want something more suburban)?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,454,087 times
Hahahahaaa. Liberal neighborhoods in Cypress. Hahaahahahaa.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,227,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Hahahahaaa. Liberal neighborhoods in Cypress. Hahaahahahaa.
I live in Cypress and I support gay rights, etc. My neighbors are very similiar. We really don't care. Whatever you want to do. Works for me.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,454,087 times
Agreed. More libertarian. Don't bother us...we don't bother you. Could care less what you do in your own bedroom.

If you want to be a lefty control-freak busy body that likes to proselytize and tell everyone else how to live, then Montrose or West U is where you belong. If you want to do that in Cypress...then good luck.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 03-07-2013 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,662,423 times
Montrose for sinning in public

Cypress sin in private

I spent a while in Cypresd and met some of my best friends from then.
There are all sorts of weird people in Cypress and surely other suburbs but they don't get together and form communities the way they do in urban neighborhoods like Montrose or the Heights.....they are very private and keep to their own private households. And they drive long distances for many things.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,155,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intencity77 View Post
I doubt anything "liberal" exists outside of the loop, just desert and nomads.
There's stuff and people outside the loop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
To a liberal everything is an emergency that requires radical changes...Global Cooling, global warming, a school shooting - Everything is an emotional knee jerk reaction that requires radical changes that always, I do mean always, ensures a larger government and more regulations.

Conservatives are naturally independent - they do not want to rely upon others for anything, including food/security. This independence also leads them to prepare for worst case scenarios....Stockpiling food/ammo may seem crazy to someone who expects to be provided for, but to those who are going to ensure that they are taken care of no matter what - its a natural thing. When hurricanes and other disasters hit - their liberal friends come to their house b/c they have food and a generator...their cars are full of gas, and the world is not ending.

They don't want to, but they usually end up having to.

Most of those folks stockpiling food/ammo are also living well inside of their means, and are not heavily leveraged with debt. It is the mindset that I can do for myself better than anyone else can do for me. Being prepared is not being paranoid.

Right...until you look at their credit scores.

If your not prepared, you are at the mercy of others.
Like others said, you don't want to live in Cypress. Carry on.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM

73 posts, read 159,100 times
Disagree. I love Cypress for all the things mentioned above.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,820,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
To a liberal everything is an emergency that requires radical changes...Global Cooling, global warming, a school shooting - Everything is an emotional knee jerk reaction that requires radical changes that always, I do mean always, ensures a larger government and more regulations.

Conservatives are naturally independent - they do not want to rely upon others for anything, including food/security. This independence also leads them to prepare for worst case scenarios....Stockpiling food/ammo may seem crazy to someone who expects to be provided for, but to those who are going to ensure that they are taken care of no matter what - its a natural thing. When hurricanes and other disasters hit - their liberal friends come to their house b/c they have food and a generator...their cars are full of gas, and the world is not ending.

Most of those folks stockpiling food/ammo are also living well inside of their means, and are not heavily leveraged with debt. It is the mindset that I can do for myself better than anyone else can do for me. Being prepared is not being paranoid.

If your not prepared, you are at the mercy of others.
Meanwhile, back on Earth, democrats are trying to make sensible and pragmatic changes that republicans dislike just because these ideas are promulgated by the Obama administration.

Commonsense gun control - universal background checks, assault weapons restrictions. Republicans want to arm the teachers? Really? Who has the knee jerk reaction?

Global warming is real. Even Fox admits that finally. Democrats want environmental regulations that are based on science, not politics.

Making economic decisions that truly help the middle class, the sick and the elderly. Republicans want to cut funding to these programs. Let's just throw the poor people and grandma under the bus.

I don't know what to say about the blanket statement "Conservatives are naturally independent". That's like saying cars are naturally blue.

"Most of those folks stockpiling food/ammo are also living well inside of their means, and are not heavily leveraged with debt". Was there a random sampling of folks asking if they're hoarding ravioli and bullets and whether they've maxed their credit cards? This just doesn't make sense on its face.

And it's "you're" not "your".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston