Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Horton Plaza seems pretty tired. It's the same old outdoor mall you see everywhere in sleepy communities 40 miles from anything interesting (and sadly sometimes cities lost as to how to use the space), grappling to create interest. Try SF's Union Square. We need something like that, with a Houston spin.

San Francisco Union Square Shopping District 2010 - YouTube
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Horton Plaza seems pretty tired. It's the same old outdoor mall you see everywhere in sleepy communities 40 miles from anything interesting (and sadly sometimes cities lost as to how to use the space), grappling to create interest. Try SF's Union Square. We need something like that, with a Houston spin.

San Francisco Union Square Shopping District 2010 - YouTube
Exactly if we could get something going like Union Square that would be a big step up for DT Houston. I mean I know i'm just some average citizen who doesn't know much about economics but I would think the visionaries who control what will be where would look at the most successful businesses in that area and expand on that.

Look at what does good in that area of downtown
House of Blues,Lucky Strike Lanes,Pete's Dueling Piano Bar,Scott Gertners,Restaurants,Forever 21,BCBG, Tipping Point(sneaker boutique across the street).

You get where i'm going with this? Needs to be more emphasis on retail,dining options,entertainment options people will flock in droves. Macy's didn't work because it was too huge and it's other Macy's locations in other Malls. It's not enough residential population in that area to shop at Macy's. It worked back in the day because it was pretty much the only player in town of it's kind.

Why would I go to Macy's downtown when I can just go to any Macy in the Mall or go to the Galleria who has a better selection? Do people not understand this? Blow it up and get rid of the building do whatever but just replace it with more OPTIONS.

People go to Lucky Strikes, People go to House of Blues, People shop at Forever 21 and BCBG, People eat at MCcormick & Schmick's. It's not that hard to grasp this concept. If you build it they will come. People want to be entertained that should go hand and hand. That's the problem Macy's didn't compliment the area. Books-a-Million didn't compliment the area.

If people want to go to downtown Houston the "shopping district" should be more of an experience not just 1 or 2 good things and now it's time to go home. It's ok to think entertainment first and business 2nd. You give the people a mixture of entertainment options and they will come. But give people new entertainment options they wouldn't be able to get in Rice Village or City centre something unique and would be inviting to tourist since it is downtown.

But I mean what do I know?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,423 times
This really makes me sad. As someone who loathes going to the Galleria... or any other mall for that matter... not having Macy's downtown is a major letdown. I rarely shop, but I did use the downtown Macy's. Sad, sad, sad.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,653 times
Knowing the short-sightedness of Houston, this building will be a parking lot really soon.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM

122 posts, read 222,517 times
Updated article states the owner wants to demo the building and replace it with a commercial office building.

UPDATED: Downtown Macy’s to close; mayor says building will go | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Heh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pzS7Ek2WQSY

Chicago Michigan Avenue Magnificent Mile - YouTube

Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,631 times
over rated. Fun for tourists though. They can shop there and buy the EXACT same stuff as back home for 30% more. Winner!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,282,094 times
Default I think RAIL was partly to blame for Downtown's decline recently...

The downtown scene had started to blossom several years ago, Main Street especially was beginning to be a happening place, but then someone, or some group decided that adding a little train, and a water feature on Main Street would be a great idea.

I noticed clubs and restaurants close one by one because of the mess of the constuction, but also access to the businesses was adversely affected. Businesses closed because people were not coming.

So, I guess the rail looks nice, and maybe the water feature (never witnessed it myself all these years), but downtown as a whole took a hit with that improvement.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
“After further investigation by the building’s owner, no financially feasible scenario was found for maintaining a smaller store in the old structure,” said Bob Eury, Executive Director for the Houston Downtown Management District. “A new location is our only option, and quite frankly, a new, smaller store will bode better for downtown in the long run.”

How conven that they would close shop two weeks after books a million closes, and macys biggest grape was the space they had was to big
Yeah it makes sense for this to happen.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
I'm sad to see Macy's go and despite ugly- would like to see that building restored on the inside and it kept. I like seeing a juxtaposition of buildings, old and new in a city, to see where it came from and where it's going. I hate seeing all the old torn down. My favorite bank to go into is the Chase on Travis - in what was the former Gulf Bldg. I love the interior architecture.

As far as why shop there instead of a mall - easy to get in and out of and for business professionals - they had the best selection of womens' business attire, more so than any of the other malls. Houston building some grand shopping/entertainment complex - it probably will never successfully happen. People in Houston can find all of that in their own pocket of town and usually don't venture out distance-wise if they don't have to. Restaurant/Bar scenes all have their run as the "hot, new place" but that eventually falls off as the masses start frequenting and it eventually runs down. Richmond Strip, Shepherd Plaza, Downtown, Midtown, Washington Avenue - what's next in the evolution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston