Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM

54 posts, read 271,882 times

Advertisements

I attended a presentation today by ]Bob Eury; President of Central Houston, Inc., a private, nonprofit corporation, formed to lead
the planning and implementation of the redevelopment of Houston’s central city area—principally downtown.
Their site: http://www.centralhouston.org/Home/default.asp

He spoke quite a bit about the closing of Macys downtown. The visionaries for downtown Houston were devastated that the Macys store closed. It was a severe blow to their goal to increase residency in downtown.
He said MACYS DID NOT WANT TO SHUT DOWN THE STORE, the new owner would not renew the lease.

Apparently Macys sold all their retail real estate several years ago, and the buyer of the downtown Macys bought the downtown location to specifically re-develop the site (ie: demolish and rebuild) after the lease expired.
He said there is a blue-ribbon group that is currently focused on finding another downtown location for Macys to relocate.
He also said the site of the existing Macys is planned to be redeveloped as a mixed office/retail property.

Last edited by HedwigTramp; 03-20-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
You're hilarious. I can see right through this post and see what the real intentions are. I'll translate it. See below!

Dang, that must suck for Houston. (giggle giggle). Well, I guess that leaves Dallas with another one up seeing it's the only major city in this state left to have a downtown department store. Dang that's too bad! (giggle giggle). Not to mention, Dallas is putting in more high retail which is going to leave Houston even further behind to the huge hole that will be left. To lose 800,000 sq feet of retail must really suck for Houston. OUUCHH! Too bad! (chuckle-chuckle). Even with the downtown Neiman being as small as 250,000 square feet, that would really mean doom and gloom for Dallas's downtown. I hope this building isn't demolished (but really I do) because this will be proof that Houston doesn't try to preserve its history and Dallas isn't alone in this. (BWAHHAAHAHAHAHA!)

Nice way to rub it in our faces.
Bruh, you're totally wrong. If I really wanted to make fun of Houston I would have.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I think it still can be done.

The portion of the building that didn't have windows had prominent signage that said TITCHE-GOETTINGER DALLAS with a large cartouche.

Here's a picture of the signage

They are now installing windows in the portion of the building that didn't have any windows. Here's some pics.

Before

After
Not bad. The Original looked hideous, but it looks like the revamp isn't too shabby

Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not bad. The Original looked hideous, but it looks like the revamp isn't too shabby
The window-less part is the 1950's expansion. The 1920's part of the building has the windows.

I was kinda upset when the cartouche was removed to install the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston