Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,485,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Hate to say I told you so that Dt. Dallas is ahead of your downtown since it's growing and still has an upscale department store there.
The only reason that department store is there is that it is used for corporate headquarters upstairs. It seems it is operating at a loss to promote their brand; kind of like the Times Square or Michigan Avenue examples of advertising a store to shop at when you go back to your hometown.

Neiman Marcus isn't a store most people would be able to shop in anyway!

BTW why are the major corporations always on sprawling campuses in the North of Dallas instead of Downtown, e.g. Frito-Lay, JC Penney, EDS, Texas Instruments? The Exxon headquarters only employs few people but it's a smallish building on a large parcel of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Sitting around, wishing you could be more like Sex and the City isnt going to make martini bars and fashion boutiques sprout up.

I mean, let's face it, no one goes to downtown to shop unless it's for a bail bond or a lawyer. This isn't NYC and we should accept that. Sure, there is a Forever 21 but who the hell would go into downtown for that? I can only see kids who transfer metro buses nearby going there or some visitors who are staying in downtown going there. I mean, I live in the Heights about 5 minutes from downtown on the highway and I would never go there to shop...I would go to Montrose or the Galleria.

BUT, I have to admit that I LOVE Phoenicia and think it works great because people want food, and good food at that, no matter where they are. But a grocery store/bar/restaurant is different than a Saks downtown.

Sure, our downtown is beautiful because it is a place of stone walkways, huge buildings, and wonderful views. Our downtown is even larger and creates a more dazzling skyline than most cities in the country, but it did not become that way by catering to retail or entertainment needs. We should accept that downtown is certainly not the center of action in Houston. Downtown serves an important purpose and it does it well. Go walk around and shop in the Galleria area or Montrose if you want that Carrie Bradshaw experience in a Houston-ified way.
Commuter rail is needed to feed downtown to create an advantage over the edge cities. I would shop at Macy's on Main Street except for the fact that the Park and Ride does not operate on weekends when I do shop. The Kingsland Park and Ride is much closer to my house in Cinco compared to the nearest Macy's at West Oaks Mall.

That stupidly misleading Metro referendum has just doomed downtown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Yeah i hate to sound cynical, but I'm losing hope for downtown.
With the full parking lot at Memorial City Mall that I see year round, I'm losing hope for The Galleria. Can't believe people would be fooled by hype (that stupid Christmas TV commercial that comes on every year) and settle for mediocrity, but most affluent people in Houston are transplants who don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
I don't guess I appreciate this as much as I'm not much of a shopper. I'm the guy who buys clothes when he needs them, finds what he needs, and gets the hell out of there.

Then again, I also have never seen Sex and the City, so I don't even know what I'm sitting here wanting to be like.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,155,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Being from West Texas I hated going to Houston. Thankfully I was not made to go there often. But Dallas was so much more interesting.
And that had what to do with the tread ???

Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM

421 posts, read 837,326 times
It's such a shame that Sears is down in the dumps now, thanks to Kmart interfering with it. Wouldn't the Foley's/Macy's building be a PERFECT site for a Sears? If this were the 90's, when Sears was in great shape financially, they would snap up this property right away. The old Sears in the heart of Houston has been neglected for decades.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,284,678 times
Quote:
Being from West Texas I hated going to Houston. Thankfully I was not made to go there often. But Dallas was so much more interesting.
??????

Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,337,183 times
Rowdy. Yes this sucks for downtown Houston, but the city has a lot more to offer than a downtown Macy's. I think your comparison to El Paso, Lubbock, etc reduces your credibility on this subject.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM

195 posts, read 284,917 times
Nobody really comes to Houston to just visit. Its not that kind of city. The only real visitor attraction is the space center which is not even that great. Keeping that in mind i think Houston is a great city. Its diverse, great weather, great economy, cheap housing, good schools. Having a downtown like NY does not automatically make a city great.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,171,240 times
Quote:
houston should take a page from the Dallas book. They stay focused, stick to their knitting. What a city. West Texas people love going to Dallas. It's fun and interesting there.
Quote:
I truly, truly hope Houston becomes a better place. As a Texan I get no satisfaction from seeing it ridiculed. I want to take pride in seeing Houston rise to greatness. But, at this point it is a no where close to being a great city. Dallas and Austin are much closer. They are working like demons. Dallas and Austin have planned and are going to realize their plans.
Quote:
Ask anyone, anyone who has been to El Paso, San Angelo, etc and Houston which place they would prefer to return for a second visit. As a lifelong Texan I know my answer. Houston would have to be my last choice to live or visit.
Quote:
By all means stay and not consider outside opinions. We others are only idiots.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,073,607 times
Quote:
I truly, truly hope Houston becomes a better place. As a Texan I get no satisfaction from seeing it ridiculed. I want to take pride in seeing Houston rise to greatness. But, at this point it is a no where close to being a great city. Dallas and Austin are much closer. They are working like demons. Dallas and Austin have planned and are going to realize their plans.
I totally disagree with you, and I'm from Austin. You might find Dallas interesting and great but I find it too sterile and contrived... I prefer more "organic" and quirky (elements Austin and Houston have). Even in its quirkiness, Houston is a leader in the state in many areas including arts/culture... if the folks from Midland-Odessa can't appreciate that, so what.

And I call BS on you.... your post history is a lot of Houston-bashing feigned as concern, you do the exact ridiculing and participate in the ridiculousness you claim to find "no satisfaction" in. It's so obvious...

Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,073,607 times
Quote:
Time will tell the tale.
So as usual you have no real answer, because you've been caught red-handed in your obsessive absurdity again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston