Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,158,925 times

Advertisements

Macy’s Announces It Will Close Downtown Houston Store » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape.. Downtown Houston retail just can not catch a break

This creates a huge problem I think they are going to have a hard time sale that buliding its old and regarded by many as one of the ugliest in Downtown..

Dont expect it to be torn down ither this is Houston buliding sit for decades

Last edited by Truth713; 01-03-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,781,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
This is great news no? Finally they can make room for something more interesting. That building was a real eye sore to look at.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,160,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
This is great news no? Finally they can make room for something more interesting. That building was a real eye sore to look at.
No, it isn't. Losing an 800,000 square foot retailer in a district struggling to establish itself as viable in that category will have far-reaching negative effects on the ability to build any momentum for downtown living.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,375,384 times
Quote:
This is one of the reasons why Houston has less of an identity compared to other older cities. I'd love for this building to stay up and remain a piece of our history. Instead, it's back to the old 'demolish and rebuild' BS.

It still has the original curved canopies over the escalator! How cool is that!?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, it isn't. Losing an 800,000 square foot retailer in a district struggling to establish itself as viable in that category will have far-reaching negative effects on the ability to build any momentum for downtown living.

They are not "losing" it. It will be replaced by something bigger and better. Yes I understand it's a piece of history, but they obviously are not closing it because it's printing money. They are closing it because people are in fact not shopping there enough. Let's hope something better replaces it.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Pretty much this , you most be able to convince retail stores that a area is profitable before they are willing to set up shop.. with the pavillion struggling and now the largest store DT shutting it doors, this will scare off many retail owners

second it may have a back lash on the push for more residentecy as now you do not have any major retail in the area. Something that is a key sale points to people wanting to live downtown

Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Pretty much this , you most be able to convince retail stores that a area is profitable before they are willing to set up shop.. with the pavillion struggling and now the largest store DT shutting it doors, this will scare off many retail owners

second it may have a back lash on the push for more residentecy as now you do not have any major retail in the area. Something that is a key sale points to people wanting to live downtown

But it's not profitable. You guys are missing this point. Macy's did not close the store for giggles, they closed the store because it was NOT generating traffic. So what do you want to do, subsidize it? Use tax dollars to pay Macy's, a publicly traded company, to make up for lost revenue so they stay open? I mean what is the solution here. There is no doubt in my mind that space will be taken quickly. I think they should be a massive entertainment complex there with "some" shopping. Put in a huge gym, a coffee shop, a theater, something for kids and some retail outlets.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,415,476 times
Quote:
They are not "losing" it. It will be replaced by something bigger and better. Yes I understand it's a piece of history, but they obviously are not closing it because it's printing money. They are closing it because people are in fact not shopping there enough. Let's hope something better replaces it.
That depends on what you mean by "replace". Quite frankly, I'm tired of things being torn down for something that only a select few think is "better". Maybe you want a brand new, shiny, and soulless Houston, but I don't.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
But it's not profitable. You guys are missing this point. Macy's did not close the store for giggles, they closed the store because it was NOT generating traffic. So what do you want to do, subsidize it? Use tax dollars to pay Macy's, a publicly traded company, to make up for lost revenue so they stay open? I mean what is the solution here. There is no doubt in my mind that space will be taken quickly. I think they should be a massive entertainment complex there with "some" shopping. Put in a huge gym, a coffee shop, a theater, something for kids and some retail outlets.
re-read that is what I am saying it will be hard to convince people to set up shop in a area they think will fail or has poor foot traffic.. where are you getting anybody wants to bail out macys. Where stating the fact that from a sale points as fair as retail goes this hurts downtown . The pavillion is still struggling and now the biggest ancor is closing ..

I will give you this it location maybe its saving grace as its in a prime area,

Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That depends on what you mean by "replace". Quite frankly, I'm tired of things being torn down for something that only a select few think is "better". Maybe you want a brand new, shiny, and soulless Houston, but I don't.
I belive in restoring old building , but that building is a ugly abomination , its dated design makes it hard to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston