Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't know if its because of its location (SE Texas near the water and soulful East Texas) combined with its longer than the rest history with a varying demographics, but Houston just has more than other cities.

The Vietnamese community has been here for over 30 years
The Nigerians have been coming steadily for just as long
Of Course all Texas cities have a strong Mexican presence

good food has been a long Houston tradition. San Antonio and Austin are more specialty places
Not to mention in Houston you have a good variety of Soul Food,Seafood,Tex-Mex,Cajun/Creole food(the best selection of Louisiana style food outside of Louisiana)Country/Southern style food,Bar-B-Q, Ethnic foods, Chinese food,Quirky foods,Upscale dining,etc.

See for some reason alot of snobbish hipster 20/early 30 something's tend to live in some comfortable bubble and actually think their progressive while isolating everyone and every thing that doesn't fit their idea of progression which is really backwards. Alot of people in Austin or who loves Austin embodies this type of mentality. It was quite annoying hearing this when I would go to Austin and hear people speak so highly about Austin and dismiss everything else about the state of Texas. In all honesty you have a population like that within the inner loop. The only difference is in Houston you have to encounter other groups of people from all over daily so it's hard to be in you're bubble when you run across different backgrounds daily.

So I can understand when you live in a comfortable bubble like Austin and you say to yourself "Wow, Austin has the best food scene because it caters to my taste buds which is a reflection of my lifestyle" In Houston we have that and MUCH MORE because Houston caters to damn near everyone which offers more. I like soul food and creole/Cajun Louisiana food. Where can I find a good food joint that has that in Austin?? I know I can find a good "innovative, hip, creative, quirky" organic food joint in Austin. But where is that Vietnamese dish? Where's the Indian dishes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Austin for dining and culture?? Please, spare me the lies and hyperbole.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
on what planet??
If you want vegan tofu and asparagus sherbet then Austin is the place. But people don't want to eat that everyday.
There's a grain of truth in this hyperbole (even if "vegan tofu" is a tautology). Houston is easily the best food city in Texas, but Austin can make a plausible claim to being the better "foodie" city: Better farmer's markets, better locavore scene, the hipster paradox of the "gourmet" food truck, and increasingly comparable, if not better, high end dining, the celebrity chef phenomenon etc. Austin can fairly claim to have a more sophisticated food culture, and its emerging reputation as a national player in food trends etc is deserved, but for everyday eating, it has a long way to go to match the culinary options of Houston.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
There's a grain of truth in this hyperbole (even if "vegan tofu" is a tautology). Houston is easily the best food city in Texas, but Austin can make a plausible claim to being the better "foodie" city: Better farmer's markets, better locavore scene, the hipster paradox of the "gourmet" food truck, and increasingly comparable, if not better, high end dining, the celebrity chef phenomenon etc. Austin can fairly claim to have a more sophisticated food culture, and its emerging reputation as a national player in food trends etc is deserved, but for everyday eating, it has a long way to go to match the culinary options of Houston.
Can't be the better foodie city without having the better food. Doesn't make sense at all.

And gourmet food trucks and paying to be on TV doesn't make it the more sophisticated food city. Dallas and Houston again are the top two in this one.

At best Austin can claim the best whacky food.

Houston is tops for taste
Houston is top for diversity, Dallas is second
Houston is tops for good food for not a lot of money .
Dallas is tops for fancy dining Houston is second.
Houston is tops for Nigerian food
Houston is tops for Indian food, Dallas as a city falls to second
Houston is tops for Ethiopian, no close second from what I have samples
Houston is tops for Algerian
Houston is tops for Vietnamese, only there or 4 cities in the entire country can compete here.
Houston is second for Korean
Mexican is hard to say because San Antonio, the valley and el oasis vary in strengths
For Tex Mex Houston is tops
Houston and Dallas are tops for Chinese. Can't imagine how big cities like AS and Austin do so poorly in this category
For upscale Chinese and authentic Chinese Houston wins by far
For gulf cuisine this is a no brained
For southern cuisine Houston is tops
Houston tops for sea food.
For steak Houston, Dallas, forth Worth and Austin are all really good.
For Greek food Houston is tops, Austin is week in this category and San Antonio is non existent.
For national chains Dallas wins, Houston is second
For local chains Houston tops, Dallas is second
For hole in the wall Houston tops.
Houston by far is tops for French
Houston is tops for Jewish food
Houston is tops for Colombian food
Houston is tops for Polish food
Houston is tops for middle eastern food in general
Houston is tops for Asian food in general
It's tops for European food in general
It's top for African food in general
It's top for South American food
Dallas is tops for American food sans southern food
Austin is top for healthy food
Austin is top for creative (read crazy) food
Houston is tops for dessert in general
Houston is tops for the heart floggers.

What did I miss?
Anyway you can see why Houston wins for food. Dallas can keep up in most areas, Austin doesn't come close, San Antonio is a foodie dead spot outside of Mexican food and breakfast.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Can't be the better foodie city without having the better food. Doesn't make sense at all.

And gourmet food trucks and paying to be on TV doesn't make it the more sophisticated food city. Dallas and Houston again are the top two in this one.

Houston is tops for Vietnamese, only there or 4 cities in the entire country can compete here.
Mexican is hard to say because San Antonio, the valley and el oasis vary in strengths
Houston and Dallas are tops for Chinese. Can't imagine how big cities like AS and Austin do so poorly in this category
For Greek food Houston is tops, Austin is week in this category and San Antonio is non existent.

What did I miss?
Anyway you can see why Houston wins for food. Dallas can keep up in most areas, Austin doesn't come close, San Antonio is a foodie dead spot outside of Mexican food and breakfast.

For some odd reason, I don't know why I thought Houston lacked in Ethiopians but to read that it has good Ethiopian food tells me what I thought is wrong.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
For some odd reason, I don't know why I thought Houston lacked in Ethiopians but to read that it has good Ethiopian food tells me what I thought is wrong.
The Ethiopian population is not as high as in other cities like DC, but it does have the best Ethiopian restaurants in the state

Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I did see Ethiopian taxi drivers. LOL. Yeah, Ethiopian food is very good. I like the bread.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:

What did I miss?
I agree with most of this.

All I am claiming that Austin has better farmer's markets, a better locavore and food truck scene and more destination dining establishments: La Condesa is one of the best high end Mexican restaurants in the country, not quite Topolobampo good, but up there. BBQ afficianados fly from all over the world to eat at Franklin's. Congress, while not my kind of food, serves up much more elaborate American nouvelle cuisine than any restaurant in Houston or Dallas. Tyson Cole, David Bull, Ned Elliot are now what Stephan Pyles was 15 years ago. As you note, Austin is best for creative - what you call 'crazy' food - that is why it can claim to have a more sophisticated foodie scene. Everything except "gulf coast cuisine" that Houston does extremely well is done better elsewhere. Houston has an across the board excellent set of culinary options at every price point, but very little is distinctive. Austin has much much less, but what it does well garners national and international attention because it is distinctive, weird, if you like.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

What did I miss?

All I am claiming that Austin has better farmer's markets, a better locavore and food truck scene and more destination dining establishments: La Condesa is one of the best high end Mexican restaurants in the country, not quite Topolobampo good, but up there. BBQ afficianados fly from all over the world to eat at Franklin's. Congress, while not my kind of food, serves up much more elaborate American nouvelle cuisine than any restaurant in Houston or Dallas. Tyson Cole, David Bull, Ned Elliot are now what Stephan Pyles was 15 years ago. As you note, Austin is best for creative - what you call 'crazy' food - that is why it can claim to have a more sophisticated foodie scene. Everything except "gulf coast cuisine" that Houston does extremely well is done better elsewhere. Houston has an across the board excellent set of culinary options at every price point, but very little is distinctive. Austin has much much less, but what it does well garners national and international attention because it is distinctive, weird, if you like.

I also think you underestimate San Antonio. Il Sogno is by FAR the best Italian restaurant in Texas. Da Marco in Houston would be a very distant second.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post

Like I said before Farmers Markets do not sell cooked food. It is not directly related to Culinary capitals. This not about which City grows the best Onions or where you can get the best organic kumquats.

Culinary capitals are ranked by the availability of cooked food.

I disagree with the destination dining. Houston and Dallas again are top for the State.

Austin can claim to have a more sophisticated food scene all it wants, Austin is famous for wild claims. Fact of the matter remains that that category is owned by Dallas with Houston coming in second.

you must be crazy if you think that everything is done better elsewhere. Austin is extremely poor on half the things on the list so its crazy to say they do it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston