Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM

83 posts, read 225,518 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I am in the process of narrowing down my search for when I relocate my life in December. I have knocked quite a few cities off of my list for many reasons, oftentimes because they don't have a vast culture. I'm considering much bigger cities but don't care for the high cost of living in those. Hopefully the information I've found about good starting salaries vs. relatively low cost of living in Houston are true.

After having searched the forum thoroughly, I didn't see any specific info on the culture of Houston. I am interested in art, wine, sushi, ethnic foods and fitness. I'm also big on tolerance... do people accept gays there, how about all kinds of religions? I can't stand close mindedness, people shoving religion down others throats and I HATE country music!! I, like many others on this forum, wouldn't care for Houston if the things out-of-staters hear are actually true. Can you give me an idea of what kind of life I would have there given my interests? I am so confused at this point, but the input of others is helping me slowly narrow the search. BTW, I would be moving mid to late Dec.

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,843,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph22679VA View Post
I am interested in art, wine, sushi, ethnic foods and fitness. I'm also big on tolerance... do people accept gays there, how about all kinds of religions? I can't stand close mindedness, people shoving religion down others throats and I HATE country music!! I, like many others on this forum, wouldn't care for Houston if the things out-of-staters hear are actually true.
Houston is a huge, culturally diverse city, with tons of things to do. There shouldn't be any problem with pursuing your interests listed above. If you had said mountain climbing or surfing, then I would have said Houston is not a great fit.

Texas is definitely a place where I'd estimate there are more people who would consider themselves religious than non-religious, but there are 5.6 million people in the Houston MSA - they don't all believe the same thing, for sure! You can find your tribe no matter what you believe or don't believe.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 PM

958 posts, read 2,578,052 times
You need to get some misconceptions of the south out of the way.
And yourself needs an open mind.

"art, wine, sushi, ethnic foods and fitness"

Sounds like you'll fit in the heights or inside the loop living area that is growing in Houston.

Ethnic foods, we are the fattest city in the US for good reason. We have alot of damn good restaurants.

"do we accept gays?"
I think in Houston the philosophy is out of sight out of mind.

We have all sorts of people in Houston. Houston is very much a melting part.

Religion will not be shoved down your thought, unless you find it offensive to see churches or other religious buildings from time to time.

What do others say about Houston? Have they ever been here?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM

83 posts, read 225,518 times
PredatorPrey-

Please don't get the wrong idea that I am not openminded. I try to be as accepting of things as I can. I, myself, am a southerner. I live in southeast VA, only 15 mins from the NC Stateline.

I don't mind churches and things of that nature, so that is definitely not what I meant. I just don't care for places where religion is at the forefront and so are conservatives. I love culturally diverse cities where everything (preferrably in good taste) is accepted.

I thought I heard on the news yesterday that Mississippi is the fattest state, followed by Alabama? I could be wrong. I knew TX was up there though and that's why I asked about fitness. I am very active and want to be surrounded by people who are also concerned about their health. Although, I do love good food (just nothing fried )

The people that state the misconceptions are probably not people I would put money in their views because they do NOT live there. I do have a close friend who lives there and likes it. She is, however, a regular church going conservative with 3 children and isn't into social scenes, the arts, etc... so all very opposite of me!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 PM

734 posts, read 1,083,094 times
IF YOU LOVE DRIVING ... I MEAN ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT

then houston is a good fit for you...

everything here is spread out there are about 7 different metropolitan areas. things are so spread out that the skyline would have to span 30 miles just to fit all the buildings. There are random gaps of "suburban" neighborhoods in between the office buildings;bars;clubs etc.

so basically if you live in one part of the city then it takes you atleast 10-15 min. to get to another part. thats how far spread out it is.

the job market (oil and gas) is the only real reason people live in houston.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,445,359 times
I guarantee that you will find your fit in Houston.

Like Topaz said, the city is huge, and has a little bit of everything and everyone. If I was looking for diversity (whether cultural, religious, socioeconomic, or ethnic), I wouldn't focus on the suburbs, but inside the loop. From upscale to funky to everything in between. This is generalizing of course, but we (typically under 50) inner loopers pride ourselves on having an open mind, and are welcoming of pretty much anyone. After all, with no zoning, you may have high-dollar homes within blocks of subsidized housing (on my block alone we have gays, blue collars, a couple of lawyers, UH students in garage apartments, white, hispanic, asian. It's crazy, but strangely comfortable, and forces you to really think about what it is you bring to the table.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,445,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post

Funny that oil and gas drives less-and-less of the economy than it ever has before. Yet the population has grown steadily.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,861,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Funny that oil and gas drives less-and-less of the economy than it ever has before. Yet the population has grown steadily.
Exactly. I suppose he forgot the Texas Medical Center is the largest grouping of hospitals/medical research in the world and is actually the city's largest employer.

I get tired of people using that excuse (people only live in Houston for the jobs). There are plenty of other cities with lots of jobs (especially in Texas). If Houston was so awful, it would be losing population and the companies would be moving out because they wouldn't be able to get people to relocate here. The few people I've known personally who didn't like Houston have moved on to other cities.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,154,946 times
FOOD.

It doesn't matter what kind, it just needs to taste good.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,094 times
ok then i guess i must retract my statement. I am a current Elec. Engineering student so i actually will probably stay in houston a few years after i graduate because of the great job market in the oil and gas market.

But if you go out into the suburbs and ask people what field they are working in a very large percentage will reply the oil and gas industry.

it just frustrates me personally that there is soo much driving. To get from Medical center to uptown or downtown to westchase. I live in sugar Land and i commute all the way to Univ. Houston and it always seems soo far away because things are so stretched out.

The urban Sprawl is out of control

And the housing market seems to be moving farther and farther away from Houston.]
Katy; Kingwood; Pasadena; Woodlands; New Territory; etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston